Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

The CAO Flathead is a really loving intense smoke though. I don't know how people go through something that size and that intensity. I'll have to try it in a much smaller size. It's super tasty and well constructed, but the nicotine is insane.

Having a full tummy before lighting it up is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I have extremely bad dry mouth from my antipsychotic(s) and brush my teeth like 8 billion times a day, but my young dentist (heís 27; just a babby :bernin:) says oral care is about useless and I already had a molar extracted because the internal rot and jaw damage was not reversible with care. I can maybe get some temporary relief with OTC products, but the last time I got meds switched it was 12 days with ETC every other day. We had a conference call with my dentist and psychiatrist to discuss it and basically the only message was brain over teeth so plan on implants for the rest of my life.

The good thing is disability will pay for dry mouth-caused bad teeth, but only like once a year. Hereís to 31 years of dental surgery!

Why explain it in the pipe thread? My oral hygienist said I can smoke again once my jaw heals. I havenít had a cigar or pipe for a month and have to drink coffee/soda to replace the ďawakeĒ feelings so I can function at a basic level. Ive smoked a pipe every once or twice a day since 2005, and canít really figure out what to do with my time. Iíve been learning Python and watching Netflix and Amazon Prime and playing WoW. I miss sitting on my deck puffing away with a book. Canít focus and only hope a cigar (first one is roughly due January 1st!!!) will help.!

Keep it up pipe guys. I donít comment as much as I used to in the thread(s) , so Iím living vicariously through all of you!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Happy New Year, you degenerates!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

NewFatMike posted:

I'm super intrigued by the Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged. There's a loving chunk of the bourbon barrel inside the tin! I kept it in the jar, so we'll see how that goes.

It works great for Frog Mortonís Cellar tins.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

NewFatMike posted:

It's very milk chocolatey

This is my second favorite flavor to discover in a cigar and one of my go to loose bag tobaccos to smoke after lunch in my pipe.

Sadly I had I bought three boxes of Tubed HDM Dark Knights in 2009 because it was not only my American Hoyas but the specific flavor in a very consistent construction and even were better than every Cuban I ever smoked from the first to the present. Every one ended up with the last 2/3 tasted exactly like an marinated steak. Including stuffing the burning butt in my churchwarden. Only cigar I ever fought the urge to chew up and swallow 😜

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ThatOneGuy posted:

The true one-and-done question is how is the PSD4 regarded?

Used to be tied for first with a RASS when friends and I would spit boxes. Of course, that was in 2009. Construction of both has gotten better (compared with other non-domestic cigars), but both have also changed a bit in flavor. Neither is bad or even mediocre; they have lost a bit of luster is all. I would never turn one down, but I donít advertise their complexity any more. Still solid pick on both.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Giggle Goose posted:

Do you all know of any blends that are similar to On the Town?

On the Town and Cellar are my favorites aside from my 15 year old/new Sherlockís Choice from my local Tinderbox. Iíve been smoking three times or more a week in the same chair for 16 years now (pre-COVID-19, ofc), and the owner lady is a Goddamn goddess when it comes to sourcing older discontinued or rarer pipe tobacco. Her network is huge because we live in the FedEx national Hub and HQ. She kept me in Dunhill Early Morning Pipe while it disappeared, always at cost + a dram of whatever Scotch in the behind the counter was mine (me and about 7 other regulars brought real quality outstanding Scotch, Bourbon, and rum to go with smokes). She is young, blond, and has a Masterís of Divinity, and we had the exact same taste in everything, so she knew if I liked it enough to share she would like it, too. Anyway she emails me when any FM filters down from Heaven. Still drinks an oz or two of my whiskey as well, even at 10:00 in the morning. On Sunday.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Believe me, I realize exactly how lucky I am! For the first couple of months of quarantine the entire economy was hosed. Itís worked out personally since the three people I live with are all retired and Iím on disability so the only real problem weíve had is the eBay business has been down a bit, but not for struggling to make ends meet or anything. Most of my circle at the Tinderbox are all old retired folks with former lucrative jobs (pilots for FedEx, a couple of Secret Service and FBI supervisory agents, and one who literally just buys and sells restaurants to clean up and flip), and the one blessing is that the pandemic hasnít hit anybodyís wallet very hard because itís all just getting a predetermined check every month. Iíve also known my store owner since I was in my 30s and she was in high school (her parents owned 4 TB locations in Memphis), and she has always been flirty even as a married woman because she married a man who was blue-collar and kinda shy but has made really good friendships with us older guys.

Since last April weíve still been getting together with each other at my church to smoke two or three times a week at my church on the back porch. Socially distant, masks worn, etc. My pastor is also there at lunch time and heís always glad to smoke and drink with us without proselytizing too much (a couple of the guys are atheists or of another faith, and my pastor has told them the Church is mainly for them because Jesus didnít come to save believers but to lead all men to salvation and hung out with ďthe sinnersĒ instead of the priests). We have a pretty swell setup with space heaters and tarps hung to block the wind, and the tables we sit at are made for 20 so plenty of room to stay 6í away.

Believe me, Iím not bragging; these friendships have been close to 15 years old and Iím the one that found the place when it was a single location in the suburb and even the ďnewĒ guys have been patrons for 10+ years. Iíve been extremely lucky and am aware of it. Plus Iíve probably paid more for Lynneís education than her folks did, and that doesnít even count the regulars that weíve sat with who canít get away because of Covid-19. Weíre all looking forward to the days we can go back inside, but Lynne has kept the stores open even during lockdown and says a couple of locations have gotten better because of folks in uncertain times buy in bulk.
I am lucky, but I know how fragile it can be. But my pastor says that feasting is Kingdom work, and these guys have all come to family time for me when Iíve been inpatient, which is a blessing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I might be late to the party with this reply, but this article: https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/life-after-mcclelland outlines some possible replacements for the Morton Frog blends you enjoy, but can no longer get. The article explains the specific reasons why you'll probably never get a one-to-one replacement, but has some excellent starting points to find something that may fit your palate.

Very cool. Got it bookmarked for reading tonight, but first look seems right up my alley!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

The snuff degenerates are welcome in the thread. We are all servants of the devil weed in one fashion or another.

I have a CPAP machine (that I hate) that dries out my nose. My friend at the Tinderbox turned me on to snuff a couple of years ago. I ainít home now, but I know itís a ďmintĒ taste in the back of my throat. Iíll use a very small pinch to open up my nose most mornings before I put my contacts in.

Brown Booger club fo-Evan!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nexein posted:

It's a balmy 70 here so I'm fighting 20+ mph winds, AND trying to play Monster Hunter, and this stupid little no name habano is performing way better than it has any right to; spicy and creamy and nutty in all the right ways. One of cigarpage's overrun bundle sticks we bought, I dunno maybe six months ago?

I never had much trouble during smoking of a cigar in the wind, but I had to learn to light a cigar with my pipe-lighter from Zippo. Works well during a beach trip (precovid of course 🤢).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Giggle Goose posted:

After mourning McClelland 3 years after the fact, I picked up a tin of Peterson's Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe and C&Ds Kajun Kake, all three of which are quite nice. Indeed I will probably explore more of both companies stuff next time I place an order.

Edit: Question for you pipe smokers in the thread, do you all smoke different types of blends (ie. latakia vs perique vs whatever) in different pipes?

I have enough pipes to smoke all my various blends and tins in their own dedicated pipe. If I want to try something new or smoke something from home that I know is likely to ghost, I smoke it in a corncob. No fuss! :discourse:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Wish I saw this yesterday... all my cash burned up from a notification at 1:00 am that my new desktop shipped. It will be the only computer since 2010 I didnít build myself, but it was also the only way to get a 30xx gpu close to MSRP!

Some of those pipes are wonderful!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

Smoked a marvelous Nub Connecticut 460 tonight.
The wind up...the pitch...

quote:

That was a delicious cigar.

He hits it out of the park!!! Never had a disappointing Nub of any kind, but prefer the Habano just for the spice!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Maksimus54 posted:

My wife went to school in Appleton and has family from there as well, it's a neat area

Does she know Cliff Yablonski? That is literally the only other time in my life I hear about Appleton.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I sat down for a bottle of Duvel and a Hemingway Work of Art.

Ive been smoking AF Hemingway cigars since 2006 or so; right around the time my father had his first knee replacement. I love the Short Stories and my favorite is the Signature.

I havenít had a Between the Lines in a long time, and I love them but I was the only one buying them at my B&M so Lynn stopped stocking them. As long as she keeps the Sig, SS, and Nub Habanos Iíll keep going but I donít know if we can change back to smoking inside after Covid mandates are safe to repeal. Even in winter we had enough fire pits and propane heaters to sit outside in short sleeves and socially distance.

I just wanted to smoke a Between the Lines in honor of FlyingLemur, well known for his love of Fuente products :vince:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nubs got me smoking bigger rings. I tried every one as soon as they were on the Tinderboxís shelves (except the Dub, which I tried later), and really enjoyed the size. So Iíve also been trending up in RG as I smoke a cigar two or three times a week and often for two+ hours. Big Rings are good for that, too (I rarely smoke my pipe in pubic since Covid, although I do smoke it 2x a day every day on the deck).

Also, anybody got any recommendations for Cuban cigars? I want to get him a box for Fatherís Day, but donít have the budget for Cohibas. Iíve not tried a non-American brand for years, so new medium smokes would be great, but I do know coming from European sellers there is a premium as well as shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ophidian posted:

HUP mag 46 perfect in every way IMO. Fresh ones are smoking well IME.

Bolivar PC for a petite corona size

HDM petite robusto for a nub size.

R&J short Churchillís for robusto size

R&j Cazzadores for lonsdale

Excellent! Thanks, Ophidian!