Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

For budget friendly Cubans you cannot beat Por Laranga. Bot the panatelas and petite coronas are great and cheap.

Lyon, keep peppering in snippets from the old thread, it's a neat walk down memory lane. That jumbo box mobius strip was something else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Lyon posted:

Haha glad someone appreciated it! Since you’re here... in sad Hayden news you recently did not get your dream job (would have involved a pay cut if that rings a bell). The second box pass recently began (only one direction this time), secret santa designees were assigned, and the thread is gripped by cuban-mania which is why I ended up placing an order myself last week I think.

Haha, I remember that! I wound up getting a job in that industry elsewhere in town early 2013. I've changed companies since then, and I'm still making less than I did as a bartender, but I'm significantly happier. Not to mention my current job is still rolling along in the 'rona times, while bars are closed and restaurants are seriously struggling.

I get not wanting to support the US available versions of Cuban brands, and I've certainly never been impressed by the Dominican Cohibas, but I did really enjoy the Romeo y Julieta reservas and the H. Upmann vintage cameroons when I was first getting back into cigars years back. Both flavorful medium bodied sticks, fairly affordable, and I could find smaller gauge vitolas easily around me which was a big plus. I don't really care for anything over a 55, and very rarely smoke them. The only real exception is the occasional nub.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Lyon posted:

It’s also amazing the first 2/3+ of the thread is from 2010-13, cigar content production has been failing for a long time.

2013 is also around the time the admins shuffled around all the megathreads and we wound up in TCC. A lot of regulars just stopped checking the thread after that, and it definitely slowed wayyyy down.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

NewFatMike posted:

Shorties, I'm a particular fan of Verocru No. 5s,...

My absolute favorite domestically available short smoke.

Trinidad Reyes are great too, if you want to go the Cuban route.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

I'm in buttfuck WY for my SIL's wedding tomorrow.

I'm not crazy about having traveled with my wife and 5yo in a pandemic, and I'm especially not crazy about how casual everyone is being wrt masks and social distancing up here. But hey, the rehearsal dinner is in 30 minutes, and outdoors so I may have my first cigar in quite a while tonight. Thay should make people keep their distance, right?

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

If you are in need of an ashtray troll your local junk and antique shops. I got a very nice, heavy cut glass ashtray for $5 years ago with six cuts big enough for up to a 60 ring cigar. Used it for years, until it disappeared in a move.

Now I have a nub ashtray I got with a sampler and jumbo punch cutter in a raffle.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

I'd definitely be interested in some super cool Oph custom cigar accessories.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

I know I got a Bolivar (no clue which) an H.Upmann Mag 46 and Mag 48, and a pair of RA LEs from you years ago.

One of those RA wound up going into a butt pass.

I can remember all that but have trouble remembering how old I am. Brains are dumb.

Also I really need to make time for a smoke soon, especially since it's finally not hotter and stickier than Satan's taint outside.

Hayden fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 23, 2020

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Same

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Wow folks, cigarbid is awesome. So awesome, my first tupperdor is at absolute max capacity and i cant fit all my sticks inside it now. Have 6 that are in a plastic ziplock bag right now.

I did not foresee this coming.

Get a cooler. Do it.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Seventh Arrow posted:

]
can someone lend me $800?
Mmm... dat smooth apple with Musk Ox Horn

Ophidian posted:

Finally got a chance to crack one of these
Goddamn it’s a good smoke. Like a sweeter 898/RASS amalgamation

https://i.imgur.com/hdgi9A1
https://imgur.com/a/bu57Xmh

Worth 20/stick? Yes.
I do think they need a little more time to even out but I am a fan so far.

Imgur put an 18+ erotic image warning on the second picture. They aren't wrong.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Put me down as a hard maybe for a butt pass.

Also:

Ophidian posted:

I see my butt drawing survived.

Also: what I wouldn’t give for some more of those 2011 RA LEs.

I'm like 90% I bought that RA from you and it wound up in the Butt Pass after I smoked the other one

Hayden fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 22, 2020

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Basically Goon A fills up a big box with cigars and mails it to Goon B. Goon B takes a few cigars out, and replaces them with cigars of comparable quality / value, and mails the box to Goon C. This continues until the last person mails the box back to Goon A, who ideally gets a very different collection of cigars back than he or she sent out initially.

Sometimes little extras, gifts, or butts get included as well

Hayden fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 22, 2020

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

NewFatMike, that pipe is beautiful. Do you have a link to where you got it? I might need one of those

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

A friend added me to a FB group where people, raffle I guess, cigars off. Basically they sell numbers 0-9 for whatever, and the winner is whoever gets the number that corresponds with the fireball on the Illinois pick three lottery,which draws twice a day, everyday. If all ten numbers aren't sold before the next drawing, it rolls over to the next. If it's not closed out, but your number hits, you get the option to buy the remaining numbers or let it roll to the next draw.

Anyways, I got drunk yesterday and wound up winning / buying out a draw for 5 Partagas Shorts and some fancy rear end Opus X variant. My buddy said he would throw some extras in if I could meet up with him so he didn't have to pay for shipping. So we're meeting at the local smoke shop for a bit tomorrow afternoon for a smoke and hand off. I haven't actually made time for a smoke in months, and I haven't hung out with Blake in person in a few years, so I'm looking forward to it. Probably take a flask and maybe a few of my aged sticks to give Blake, just because.

Happy Thanksgiving Cigar Goons.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Just got home from meeting up with my buddy. Wound up with 5 Partagas Shorts, and Opus X 20th Anniversary, and he threw in an H. Upmann Mag 46 as well. Very excited about all of those.

Had a few N.A. beers(my buddy is dry now) and smoked a Tatuaje Havana Verocu No. 3, a corona larga. It was an excellent smoke, full bodied but not overpowering, and it was great to catch up with a few friends I've not seen in far too long.

I know I say it every time I post in here, but I'm going to start making more time for a smoke, and also try and find time to sneak off to the smoke shop periodically as well.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Back in September I stopped by a cigar shop while traveling through San Diego to pick up a couple sticks. I noticed they had a few nice pipes for sale and spotted a Nording freehand. I chatted up the sales guy about it and he breaks out this Erik Nording bobble head pipe stand. Sadly he wouldn’t sell it.

That thing is loving capital R Rad.

I might have a stick tonight, depends on the kids and how the wife is feeling.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Won another IL Fireball game. This one was supposed to be two RASS, two Boli Royal Corona, and two Vegas Robina Famousa. Seller wound up overselling his stock of RASS, so I wound up reviving four Boli Royal Corona, two of the Vegas Robina, and a Bolivar Coronas junior for my trouble. I was looking forward to the RASS, but I really like all the Bolivars, and I haven't tried the Vegas Robina line before, so I'm still stoked. Now to carve out some time and actually loving smoke something!

*edit* Lyon, I had a few of the Illusione 88 candelas in like a toro size a few years back and remember really enjoying them. Much fuller bodied than I expected, if memory serves.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Lyon posted:

Oh the memories of checking the Fireball, Mega Millions, or Power Ball number to see if you’ve won anything. I was super into “razzles” for craft beer for a bit. It’s definitely fun but easy to get carried away. High end beer stuff could be like $100-$200/spot though and I don’t imagine the cigar groups have as much of that going on so maybe it’s less dangerous hah.

I’ve actually never smoked a candela so maybe I’ll check that out as my next B&M purchase.

The group I'm in occasionally runs games that include bourbon or Cuban rum, so some of the games can get pricey. As a personal rule, I don't play games that cost more than $15 a spot, and I only play with cash that happens to be hanging out in my venmo account. As a result, I don't play too many games, but I've gone 2 for 4, so that's cool.

Ophidian posted:

Vegas Robania is a marca I’ve never bought a second time.

Not that they were bad just nothing astonishing about them. IIRC they reminded me of a simple Trinidad.

I have some Trinidad Reyes I've been enjoying, so I'm not mad about that description. And I'm always excited to try a new to me marca.

RE: CAO Cigars - I've liked most of the lines I've had from them. Especially a fan of: Brasilia, Columbia, Consiglierie, MX2, and the La Aniversario Maduro. The America is also good, although a little pricey by virtue of being a barber pole stick. My only real complaints with CAO is that they have too drat many different lines to keep track of, and don't make many sticks in smaller gauges.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i picked up a cheap box of drew estate's tabak especial cafe con leche, and i don't dig the sugar dipped tip, but it's a solid, fun smoke i can chill in my garage with on a 38 degree day at the end of the night.

That's the goofy psuedo-barberpole one right? With both a Maduro and Connecticut wrappers? I remember when those first came out, like two threads ago, a few of us bought a five pack and made it a mini box pass. It was neat, and likely the last flavoured cigar I smoked, but yeah I remember it being sickly sweet.

Credit where it's due, Drew Estate does some really interesting stuff with shapes and multiple wrappers, but I don't care for "infused" cigars at all and I feel like the regular stuff (Liga Privida, KFC, MUWAT, etc.) generally command a price premium I don't feel like they justify.

Not trying to be a downer though, glad you're enjoying them.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Anyone have a cheapish source for 5-finger bags? I've got more loose sticks than bags at the moment, and I get nervous about some of the nicer, older sticks getting roughed up before I'm able to make time for them.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Double posting to say I finally carved out some me time last night and had a Bolivars Royal Corona.

Spicy, leathery, very even burn. Ash held on for about 1 1/2 inches before dropping into the ashtray with a pleasant thud. I finally let it go after about 75 minutes, when I burned my finger taking a puff.

I have a big soft spot for RASS, but I think Boli is my favorite all around Habanos brand.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Ophidian posted:

RA makes like two cigars now so not a huge sample set :P

:colbert:

ThatOneGuy posted:

I have similar feelings.

I would not have guessed.

I will say I recently quit smoking cigarettes, so there was more of a nicotine rush than I was expecting. Not uncomfortable or anything, but a surprise for sure.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

It's been a while since I've had one, but I remember liking the BF. It was definitely different than I expected, and much milder if memory serves, but I don't recall being unhappy with it.:shrug:

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

My wife is having a sleepover with her best friend for her birthday. Once I get the kids to sleep I'm having a smoke and playing New Vegas on the porch. Pick my smoke, thread!

Top to bottom:
Cubans
Romeo y Julieta Coronitas en Cedero
Por Laranga Petite Corona
Non-Cubans
Rocky Patel Edge Maduro toro
Man Of War Puro Authentico corona
Flor De Las Antilles toro gordo
Oliva Serie V Maduro torpedo

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

All right, kids are asleep, New Vegas is booting up, it's go time! Haven't had one of these in a few years. Old style trip report to follow.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Chiming in to say I'm super excited about how active the thread has been lately, and I'm definitely looking forward to checking out the upcoming review project, whatever form it takes.

I smoked that PLPC a few weeks ago, and it was fantastic. Medium bodied, great flavors, great construction. Just a really good all around example of a Cuban cigar.

No smokes for me during this winter hellscape. I have a space heater in my shop / man cave, but I'm not in the mood to out it through it's paces. My south Texas self prefers to avoid the cold, when I can.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Hello Cigar thread!

I quit smoking cigarettes in January and took a little cigar hiatus to make that easier, but I am back on cigars and back in the thread.

My poker group has been playing online for the last year+, but now that we're all fully vaccinated we're having an in person game tonight so I'm looking forward to a few smokes, some bourbon, and hopefully winning some money. Gonna start with a Boilvar PC while my taste buds still work, then likely dive into some other stuff. I brought about a dozen sticks, so I'll have plenty of choices!

I'll probably skim the 15ish pages since I last checked in, but did I miss anything major?

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Poker night a few weeks ago was a success. As soon as we arrived the host handed out Jaeger shots, so I wound up passing on the BPC and just smoking an Oliva CT Churchill. Great smoke, but I don't really care for those giant sticks and somehow keep ending up with this smoke in this size, either in samplers or as gifts. Nice to play cards for almost three hours without needing a new cigar, though. I did not win any money, but I enjoyed the company, the smoke, and the drinks so that's a win in my book.

NewFatMike posted:

To quote a poet, "you're tacky and I hate you"

We're watching this movie fairly often with the kids lately, and every time I'm reminded that Jack Black is a national GD treasure, and that I'm low-key kinda in love with Joan Cusack.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I just wanted to smoke a Between the Lines in honor of FlyingLemur, well known for his love of Fuente products :vince:

:iceburn:

Whatever happened to our peg-legged penguin lover?

The Hemingway series are fantastic, and Short Stories are one of the only Fuentes I smoked regularly. The last few pages make me want to keep my eyes peeled for a Casa Cuba though!

I won yet another one of those Fireball drawings. Bought two spots for $30 total, and now I have a 2012 Cohiba Behike 52 headed my way. Probably gonna save it for my birthday next year. I'll be 35, the cigar will be 10, it seems appropriate. Also I'm loving stoked to get a cigar that retails for over $100 a stick for $30.

Hayden fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 20, 2021

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

I've been eying this one for a while now. Not really sure why I haven't pulled the trigger, now that I think of it...