Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Aeons ago, across the wastes of space, and time, programmers built a supercomputer known as "deep thought" to calculate the meaning of Life, The Universe, And Everything.

After 7 million years of calculation, the answer turned out to be "42."

A new computer, Earth, was built and designed to figure out the question to the answer, 42. Given that this is where we are, and we are theoretically several billion monkeys connected to typewriters, I think we may be able to figure this out.

Feel free to post philosophy, science, religion, voodoo, math, and jokes to corroborate discussion. Its like, the vague pilliared arena where socrates and all his egghead friends are discussing poo poo. But, sometimes a man with a motorcycle helmet and a chain rides through and gets ya. This is possibly relevant. What's the Question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

What do you get when you multiply six by seven?

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

David D. Davidson posted:

What do you get when you multiply six by seven?

This is close, the actual question is "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

but couldn't it also be, how much wood a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck would?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Fun Shoe

Gonk. Gonk gonk gonk? Gonk gonk. Gonk! Gonk gonk gonk gonk... Gonk.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Pillbug

How many sharpies can Eccentrica Gallumbits fit in her butt?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I appreciate everyone using spoilers because frankly we could accidentally end the universe here just by talking about this!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

reignofevil posted:

I appreciate everyone using spoilers because frankly we could accidentally end the universe here just by talking about this!

Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

God's last message was actually 'By visiting this universe you are accepting the terms of this privacy statement.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"When shall we have lunch?"

By the actions of the Golgofrinchams we wound up with the wrong clock, though whether it was a corruption of the programming, sheer coincidence, or a great cosmic joke that the clock wound up with 24 hours has yet to be decided.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Bistromathics is the most powerful computational force known to parascience. A major step up from the Infinite Improbability Drive, Bistromathics is a way of understanding the behavior of numbers. Just as Einstein observed that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement through space, so it was realized that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants.

The first nonabsolute number is the number of people for whom the table is reserved. This will vary during the course of the first three telephone calls to the restaurant, and then bear no apparent relation to the number of people who actually turn up, or to the number of people who subsequently join them after the show/match/party/gig, or to the number of people who leave when they see who else has turned up.

The second nonabsolute number is the given time of arrival, which is now known to be one of those most bizarre of mathematical concepts, a recipriversexclusion, a number whose existence can only be defined as being anything other than itself. In other words, the given time of arrival is the one moment of time at which it is impossible that any member of the party will arrive. Recipriversexclusions now play a vital part in many branches of maths, including statistics and accountancy and also form the basic equations used to engineer the Somebody Else's Problem field.

The third and most mysterious piece of nonabsoluteness of all lies in the relationship between the number of items on the bill, the cost of each item, the number of people at the table and what they are each prepared to pay for. (The number of people who have actually brought any money is only a subphenomenon in this field.)

Numbers written on restaurant checks within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the universe.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

I believe Marvin, who knows the question, asks it to that living mattress he runs into towards the end of his life. It gets the answer wrong

"Pick a number, any number"

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

All of them... all six billion... soon, I will have purchased all six billion paid mods.

how many cookies is definitely too many to eat in one sitting no matter how small they are

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

How much is the ideal amount to spend on Taco Bell when high?

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tulip posted:

How much is the ideal amount to spend on Taco Bell when high?

Like hell it is. I don't care how drunk or high you are, spending more than like $20 at Taco Bell is a recipe for untold pain. So is spending $20. Any amount really, but don't eat 42 tacos.

Maybe 42 cheesey fiesta potatoes. Those things are so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Blowin' In the Wind