Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Problem description: My computer has been crashing more and more frequently. I can reproduce the crash 100% of the time by maxing graphics settings in games like Path of Exile or Civ 6. Last piece of hardware I added was a new GPU. I contacted EVGA tech support who indicated it might be an issue with the power supply, and that a variance between 11.8v and 12.4v was typical; anything out of that range is bad.

After checking HWMonitor, I discovered the +12v reading is currently at 14.9, with 14.7 min and 16.7 max.

Based on this information, can we reach any conclusions about my power supply? I'm very ignorant about hardware.

Attempted fixes: I swapped out GPU to old set-up to confirm it was new GPU causing the crash.

Recent changes: Upgraded GPU.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 V6 64-bit

System specs: Alienware. Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz. 8 GB RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

resting bort face fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

resting bort face posted:

Based on this information, can we reach any conclusions about my power supply? I'm very ignorant about hardware.

It would be a good bet.

But it would be good to know the old GPU and new GPU and PSU specs and their ages.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zogo posted:

It would be a good bet.

But it would be good to know the old GPU and new GPU and PSU specs and their ages.

Old GPU was dual Radeon 6900s, new GPU is GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X, ACX 3.0.

The PSU has a lot of text on it and I'm not sure what's pertinent. Dell model H875EF-00. Max output power 825w.

I've had the new GPU about two years and the PSU about five or six years.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Are you on Vista?

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zogo posted:

Are you on Vista?

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Sorry, was a typo in my OP. I'm on Windows 7.

I've just updated my BIOS, from a 2011 February version to a 2011July version (the most recent for my model). +12v is still reading between 14.8-15.7v and game is still crashing.

resting bort face fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 13, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try using DDU with the new card installed and then reinstalling the GPU drivers if you want:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3183

If that doesn't help and it's only crashing while playing games with the new GPU then trying a new PSU would be a good option at this point.

These are some of the HQ PSUs being recommended for use with a newer GPU:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=11&e=4

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you for the recommendations.