Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ကျွန်တော်ရေချိ&#
Yugoslavia
Czechoslovakia
Rhodesia
Burma
Newfoundland
New Spain
View Results

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Memes and funny pics are a form of virtual currency that I'd wager is more stable than bitcoin. I collect many of them and have been collecting since 2011, though every year or so i'll go back and trim ones that weren't as funny as I remember. I send them to a lot of people or in discord and people get a lot of joy out of them (or so i'd hope).

Anywho, even with a lot of trimming, I'm still around 4000 images and things become complicated. Someone in the group chat/discord/1 on 1 conversation says something, and by god I usually have a funny picture for that. However, as you can expect, things slow down when I have to find one pic in thousands. It's basically the box of legos we all had where you need that one piece that you saw plenty of times before when you didn't need it, and now you can find neither hide nor hair of it. When managing a meme folder for this long, you begin to learn how things are organized. If looking through it in a list sorted by filename or date modified, you eventually learn "oh im at the pic of hank hill photoshopped as sonic, im around half way to the connect four photoshop image". Still, hardly quick and at that point the conversation has moved on so you can't land a killer pic with excellent timing.

So genuinely curious, how do you guys do it? My pics are on my OneDrive so I can access them on my phone/desktop/device, but its just one folder. Should I sort it by meme format? ex: image maros, gifs, reaction faces, image manipulation. There's so many ways to split this, and sometimes you get memes/funny pics that fit neither, multiple, or all categories. Would tags be better?

Here's a few vintage 2011-2013 images for the trouble, thanks guys:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i have a folder called "funny pictures"

i put them there

i don't save memes because they suck

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
No one should be doing this if they are older than like 15, tops.

Or maybe you're just some socially and mentally stunted person who posts on reddit and calls themselves Le Golden Sir, or something.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I have a file marked "Funny pictures". Inside that folder is a sub-folder for memes. My filing system is so old that it is titled "Macros".

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

They all go in my pictures folder on the C:\ drive, because I only save top tier high quality ones so it's not very full. Epic memeage!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Next to the folder labeled "tits".

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Back in the day when I used to hoard images I had a browser extension that'd save stuff into subfolders by date and file type so any image would automatigically get spirited away to a proper spot for safe keeping. It didn't really help you find anything unless it was specific seasonal content I guess, but at least you wouldn't end up with one giant folder containing 30.000 images.

I suppose if I were really hardcore about that stuff in 2020 I'd manage it all in Lightroom, assign tags and star ratings, group riffs on one theme into collections, and have the ability to publish a gallery of say, every permutation of the buff Luigi 'that's how it is on this bitch of an earth' thing I've ever come across with the click of a button.

But like, it's 2020, if I want to see bitch of an earth Luigi I just type that into Google.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
I know it makes me a bad internet and messageboard user, but I don't bother doing this.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I print out the memes and put them in a binder labeled "Memes".

Woden
May 6, 2006
Upload to Imjur and then use Google image search to find them later.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i used to save them into a folder called 'Totally Unsorted'

now if i save a picture i save it to the default 'Pictures' folder and then get mad when i have trouble finding things

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

by dick size

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Alan 00X posted:

I know it makes me a bad internet and messageboard user, but I don't bother doing this.

That's OK, Alan 00X, since you do type worn out shticks into many of your posts, which has about the same effect as meme pics.

OP, making subcategory folders for meme pic filing isn't that hard. It's being assed to rename and file the pics that's the hard bit, but not if you never get round to it, like most of us.

Just be sure to have a Something Awful folder for Krusty and Doobie etc. pics, and of course a folder for all The Dllbert Hole cartoons for quick access.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I just right click save as and don't even bother to rename the file. all my images are named long strings of gibberish :smuggo:

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I upload them all directly to iFunny and then immediately delete them off of my computer. I don't want mom asking any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Very carefully