Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
As a wide eyed thirteen year old boy, I bit the bullet whilst staying with my brother over the summer to finally register my account on the SomethingAwful.com forums. My first post was a thread proclaiming how much better the UK is than the US (Christ...), with most replies consisting of insults and counter-facts. Typical of General Bullshit at the time. It was the start of twenty years posting on these awful, wonderful forums.

Sometime in 2001, I foolishly posted my school picture, accidentally resulting in my adolescent chops becoming a proto-meme on the forums. Pretty much every Photoshop thread for a year or two would have at least one effort containing my face. My dad LOVED it, with me printing out the best ones for him to look at and have a good laugh. The pinnacle was probably some random Dallas goon meet, where a goon went to use the bathroom to find a cut out of my face left on the toilet seat. Being told that was definitely weird.

Another peak was the use of the image for the Un Lapin flash animation. I got in touch with the guy who made it, enquiring as to where he got my school photo from, to be told he found it randomly searching around the internet. 2004 was a weird time.

I've seen far too many people come and go, users who were favourites before falling from grace and being banned, admins break the forums, countless off-sites build up and then become idle. Users like Jeddite, jre, Al, Rainbow Blight, Icequeen, Euronymous, artfag et al. I've seen two goons get engaged upon meeting for the first time. I've seen a goon sell a fake Mac p-p-p-powerbook to a scammer and the thread burst as it went live. I've seen the site's found and webmaster banished, rightfully, for heinous crimes against women.

I'm quite proud of only eating two probations, one of which was for not standing up for myself in FYAD. No bans, no toxxes. How very beige.

I do love these forums, and spend most of my time wasting my life in D&D, C-Spam, PYF and the football/soccer and wrestling forums. I was worried we would lose them recently and though it would have been impossible to argue against it, it would have been sad to lose so much time, effort and history to one person's horribleness. I hope we can all move on to a brave new era.

These forums have DEFINITELY changed. The community element remains but has altered. I remember in the early days there were more forum 'superstars', for better or for worse. Now, there are well known names, but threads are more isolated, it's less of a chat room and more of a forum. The whitewashing of our past in terms of cancelled words and terminology makes sense, and weve all matured over twenty years, yet you can't help these forums may not be as spontaneous as they were in those days. You can never go back home again, I suppose.

Thanks for reading my rant, and ask me anything about the past twenty years!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Yes, but I’ll have to throw it really hard to land wherever you are.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Forgot to add [ph] too. Apologies.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Sid Vicious posted:

Lol you forgot to use a tag

I swear I did! Oh well. Shows how often I start threads these days.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Forgot to mention that in the summer of 2005 I attended Euro GoonCon. It was a nice weekend in Amsterdam aged eighteen. Luckily I have the ability to just talk to anyone about anything and not shy away from strangers, but there were some lost looking souls at the BBQ in the park that evening.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Dell_Zincht posted:

I vote OP gets an anniversary probe

And I just want to bbe a moderator. We don’t always get what we want.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

i signed up on my 14th birthday on my first acct and now im actually very well adjusted ,

Excellent username and post combo.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Oh, for reference:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

My Face When posted:

congrats, old man.

favorite sa saga?

When the renegade admins created loads of sub forums that were private and created a giant hole in the coding of the place. radium-esque levels. This place has its faults but in the mid-00s it was exceptionally cliquey in a manner that you don’t see on such giant international message boards now fifteen years later. I seem to recall known reprobate Al was involved in some way, but the exact details have been lost in the sands of time.

The aforementioned Pele and Oddjob marriage proposal thread cemented this forum’s place as the best forum on the net. Just pure shock and horror when the realisation two strangers had met at an airport after chatting on SA and agreed to marry.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

LabyaMynora posted:

gently caress you, OP.

You didn't see me posting no 20 year anniversary thread.

Also, tl;dr.

Congrats

Oh wow. I genuinely don’t see many reg dates in the wild older than mine. Congrats!

I did love the 2004 roll eyes emoji. Is that still about?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

Hey, I remember you, congrats man. As a long time lurker and occasional poster, this place has been my one-stop shopping for content, there's no other place like it.

Ten days until your anniversary! Congrats to you, also.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

post more, old people we need your wisdom

I’ve only ever really posted if I felt I was contributing to the discussion. There’s enough young white noise shitposters on here without me adding to the cacophony.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Name rings a bell. Some sort of furry duck av?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I seem to remember intentional misspellings being a Thing. However, trolling was not the art form it is now. It was primitive. Simply calling someone a pejorative before telling them to gently caress off. We’ve come a long way baby.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Jailbrekr posted:

Did Conan OBrien gently caress your mom?

No, just yours.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Gamequoter was probably the best gimmick account. There was a genuine skill and finesse to it.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

dee eight posted:

which kid was this in lord of the flies?

i'm thinking roger

Jack was ginger, wasn’t he?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

r u ready to WALK posted:

You should collect all the old photoshops you can find into several of those nice high-end hardcover photo albums to give out as christmas gifts to everyone you know, including your own family and their kids. Every year. Forever.

They’re all pretty much gone sadly. The Braveheart and the Pulp Fiction ones were amazing.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

DogsInSpace! posted:

I think I remember one of you as the gimp and I think another where you were that dude with the hand cannon blasting away. It all feels like centuries ago. I did use your old pic to take the piss on Fark like 15 years ago. Didn't you also admit to mocking Americans over counterstrike on 9/11? "Terrorists win." Good times. Nice seeing you are still around. So glad I didn't post pre-adolescent pictures of myself when I first joined the forums. Or pictures of a hot mom (thank you Microwave for your service).

Happy to admit when I’ve made stupid, terrible forum decisions in the last twenty years, but I’ve never played Counterstrike so no 9/11 skeletons in my closet. I downloaded tribute.avi like most 2001/02 goons, though.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

The SAclopedia is getting a bad rep in QCS because many of the entries are bare/placeholders, and there’s a lot of choice language. Terms that we don’t really use or want to use on the forums any more. The fact I’m in it twice shows how disorganised it is!

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

lol at that conversation

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

you're about as old as my friend who used to post lol I wish I had friends

I love your username. Always makes me smile when I see it. I will be your posting friend.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Zazi posted:

remember when we used to make fun of each other with smilies because of our regdate?

me neither

It was the blurst of times.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Smile and Act Nice. Didn’t we end up keeping a load of their members after they invaded us?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Hello fellow old timers. The things we have seen, huh

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

What was the name of the travelling dildo in Earwicker(?)’a saga? Frankie?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Did we establish if it was fake or not? The best part of the first few years of the forums were the amazing tales and no one thought to reply stdh.txt, but instead TL;dr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I never read bigpeeler’s threads, they just weren’t for me, but I do recall him flying too close to the sun and going one story too far, and everyone replying “has anything happened to you that you didn’t loving post about?”

Forum famous and then kicked to one side. Used. Abuse. I know that feel bro.