Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It really gets to me that Tea doesn't prioritise revealing critical-path sections in the hacking games.

Like, you're flipping tiles all over the place looking for the last piece you'll need when you don't even know if it's already there or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The beginning makes sense to me. You survive a plane crash, and you happen to land at the entrance to some sort of sea base; it makes sense to go in and see if anyone can help you. Then you find some sort of voilent apocalypse going on in there and a guy on the radio is giving you guidance to stay alive, so you're going to listen.

I still think survival is our protagonist's main motivation here, it's not like he can turn back. He's not got any personality though, so it's hard to say if this is meant to have become a mission of curiosity and/or saving whatever sane citizens of Rapture are left.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The "Little Sisters Orphanage" ad spot thing was interesting. I guess in Rapture, since everything is for-profit, it would make sense that they'd extend their orphanage service to children with parents for more revenue. On the other hand, they're taking them in free of charge; isn't Rapture supposed to be really against that sort of thing?

Of course obviously it's just a front for the Adam-harvesting operation and probably not a very well-disguised one either, but you know.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's always something fun about the section in a shooter where you load up with automated defences and fight off a swarm of enemies.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Not having seen any of this game before, I'm pretty impressed with that twist. In particular, giving Atlas an irish accent did a great job of hiding the codephrase. Never saw that one coming. And having it be a bad irish accent even foreshadows that twist.

I definitely see the value in having Atlas being a false identity rather than having Fontaine being your handler through the first half, since it lets the audio-logs set him up as a villain without revealing that you're working for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm glad I watched this LP. I'd never actually played Bioshock (or seen it played) before but it's one of those cultural touchstones, I guess. Its meta commentary is a bit dated after free-roamers became the big AAA genre, and it's also undercut by the fact that you are playing exactly the same after being freed in-story as before; you just have a different voice in your ear.

My main takeaway, though, is that I can see angels dancing in the sky.