Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've never seen anyone have a real reaction to the story, so this should be exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bookthief posted:

Prepare for the protagonist's wrists to be horribly abused. The explanation of the great chain doesn't really ever occur in-game. Out of curiosity is this a playthrough of the whole series or just Bioshock 1?

I just completed a full playthrough of the entire series last month. The Great Chain is explained well, but you need to be judicious about picking up the audio logs to ensure that you're understanding the full context of everything. There's a lot of characters whose stories are told (sometimes out of order) from the start to the finish of the game in those logs, plus a lot of Andrew Ryan explaining his philosophy and issues.

The Great Chain is the analogy Ryan came up with for his extreme free market libertarian economy. No one individual can move the chain, but the entirety of Rapture will pull it in the way it needs to go naturally. Predictably, he doesn't take it well when it looks like it might not pull in the direction he wants it to.

Natural 20 posted:

Just Bioshock 1 for the moment. But Tea hasn't played Infinite either and so if he enjoys this we'll certainly consider going through that.

I've not played Bioshock 2 myself so I'd be reluctant to LP that game if only because of aimless wandering time.

I recommend it. It's better than you'd expect it to be and it helps flesh out some of Rapture and the Big Daddy development a bit more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I absolutely insist that Yorkshire keep looking at everything. There's already been an absurd number of hints as to the backstory of the game and future major characters that he's seen in just these two episodes that won't become apparent for many hours. From the very first cutscene, there's important details to remember. It's not a mystery game, but it takes from the genre in that there's a ton of clues from the beginning and lots of complex relationships between characters that paint a full story as you zap and whack splicers.

In particular, you can figure out one of the big upcoming reveals about two chapters early just by looking at the decor.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 11, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

I figured the hacked robot would just be a fragile unhelpful NPC that would serve as cannon fodder at best, but I did not expect to see it bust out a machine gun and go GTA on those nerds.

BioShock 2 brings the hacked security bots to a whole new level. Not only can you get a gene tonic that lets you repair them (and give them randomly generated names!), you can upgrade a plasmid to actually summon them out of thin air. It's completely normal for Subject Delta to spend the latter half of the game surrounded by buzzing security bots named Whitney, Kenneth, and Frederique.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gnoman posted:

Not everything here is supposed to be bad. I'm pretty sure that line's supposed to show descent from "not at all unreasonable" to "batshit insane"/

Burial At Sea even showed a few homosexual couples and has a highly sex-positive video you can find. The idea behind Rapture was a utopia in which nobody was restricted from doing anything they wanted. No governmental regulations or religious oppression would stop you from achieving your full potential. Great idea for things like racism and homophobia, bad idea for things like "Running a functional society."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I'm very nearly certain you can manually "reload" Eve by literally hitting the reload button while you have your plasmid hand out. It took me a while before figuring out you could do that, and I'm guessing it's because unlike with guns you'll never be prompted to reload when you're low on Eve as you are with ammo.

It's a weird design flaw I believe they finally fixed in Infinite. Eve is basically a second ammo type that is treated like health in that it's represented by a bar with no hard quantification. You'll probably gain some sense eventually of how much Eve one shot of lightning costs as you keep playing, but it'll always be your mental estimation rather than a clear "I have 7 out of 9 shots left before I need another hypo." Bioshock Infinite's mana bar equivalent will have the meter divided into however many blocks depending on the ability you have equipped. IIRC anyway since it's been a while.

e: should add that even though you can manually reload it, even the smallest smidge of Eve is enough for one use of whatever ability you have out, and hypos are always full refills.

I checked again and yeah, you should be able to "reload" EVE just like you do ammo as long as you're switched to a plasmid. It was BioShock 2 that removed that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, fun trick with Steinman: if you shoot him as he runs away, he keeps that damage. So if you hit him enough he'll go down in about 1 second in the boss fight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

Considering how different the hacking sections are from the main gameplay as well as the time limit, I can only begin to imagine they were one of the few things that were universally panned amidst all the praise this game had when it came out.

The hacking sections are much easier on PC. You can just click on two tiles to swap the pieces instead of needing to take a piece and hold it in reserve to swap in, and the speed of a mouse means you can have the entire path cleared to the exit pipe in a few seconds. I'm not sure if the water is sped up to match though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mr_stibbons posted:

Rapture, the city where the artist shall not fear the censor! Unless the artist wants to print the Holy Bible, or glorify Christ.

There's a lot to do with how Rapture became what it is now. The audio logs are the chief source of this information. Religion is legal as long as it's kept private and doesn't interfere in your business, but smuggling is illegal. It was debated earlier but Rapture is actually secret from the world at large and Ryan was trying to keep controls on what goes in and out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, they seemed weirdly small to me too, and I'm going into this LP about as blind as Tea.

The Bouncers are very hunched over. I think they're canonically 7'2 or 7'1 while the protagonist is 6'2 according to an unused passport texture found in the game files; if you look at when the Rosies are standing up straight or when the Bouncer fully rears up, the height seems correct.

Not really a spoiler (unless someone posted spoilers in any of the replies), but people also pulled the full model of our protagonist from the Burial at Sea files. Tea is going through this whole game in a soaking wet cable-knit sweater and slacks.

https://twitter.com/minkawerkz/status/1216543389258305536

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagine how awful all of that outfit must feel. It's permanently soaked.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chatrapati posted:

Is there more story in the instruction manual or something? As far as I can see, the main character survives a plane crash, swims to an island with shelter, and then decides to get in a weird bathysphere and and start playing with its controls. Why wouldn't you just wait for help? His first instinct to beat up a man rather than talk him down is really weird too, and then as soon as he sees a needle full of unknown fluid he injects himself! :stare: I really feel like there's something missing in the beginning of the story that we've missed.

I've never played this game either, but I remember it being popular. The only thing I know about it (other than the first episode of this Let's Play) is that people complained that it wasn't as good as System Shock, which I also haven't played.

Tea is currently a very short distance into the game. My last run of it, where I did try to find everything, took 12 hours. There's also a ton of context to what's going on in the audio logs, many of which I think he's missing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

I think the second Big Daddy that Tea tangled with in the last video before this one was a different model than the first so I figured they all didn't fight the same, but I didn't think that long range attackers would be arriving this early.

Yep. This game is pretty subtle about warning you of an incoming new enemy type. You'll see them in a non-combat sense once or twice at most, then you end up in combat with them later on. This is a game that's generally very good for paying attention and remembering everything you see.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Goddamn it Yorkie, you got to start using the tools you've been provided.
All those special shotgun slugs and grenades are just sitting in your inventory.
"Money is like an arm or a leg, use it or lose it." - one shithead industrialist fitting Rapture very much.

Especially because if you're judicious about searching, it's really easy to max out on ammo and/or money before the halfway point. On my last playthrough I found myself repeatedly unable to pick up items or cash because I was so flush with everything I needed. At the beginning you want to save, but then you have no choice but to use it.

Cash especially is flowing like water toward the end. I remember impulsively spending a full wallet and ending up with a pile of rockets, electric buck, AP ammo, etc. on the floor in front of the vending machine. I started using it up even on random enemies who didn't justify it just so I could go back and pick up more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Just a heads up, Big Daddies may actually respawn whereas the Little Sisters are unique. IIRC you can often run across a BD stomping up to one of those hide-y holes, knocking on it, and stomping off in resignation because there's no Little Sister to pop out.

This is correct. Big Daddies and splicers will respawn, so there's always a threat.

Tiggum posted:

This is 100% why I never played more than about 5 minutes of this game. I've played games that make less sense than this, but they at least gave a justification for why the protagonist was doing what they were doing. This game gives you loving nothing. Right from the start it's "you're doing random poo poo for no reason". Even after all these years and hearing about the "themes" and whatever, this game makes no loving sense at all. It's in this bizarre no-man's-land between games with no story where you just do what you do because it's all you can do and games where your character is defined and your actions are supposed to make sense; in this game you have a character and there is a story but you just do the thing because it's all the game mechanics let you do. It's literally the worst of both worlds and it's juts... loving... nothing? What the gently caress?

"I never played more than 5 minutes because it didn't justify what I was doing" is possibly the single stupidest take on BioShock that has ever been made. Like that is honestly spectacular. The unicorn of bad takes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I put on what's supposed to be this loving slasher film, Psycho, and it's 30 minutes in and it's just a boring road trip drama? What the gently caress? I'm taking it back to Blockbuster."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

Chill on this. People are allowed to comment on how much or little they played and whatever their experience is is legit.

If someone didn't buy in in the first five minutes that's a fair experience, I know I've given up on some games in that time as well.

"Bioshock didn't explain the character's motivations and why he's doing everything he's doing in the first 5 minutes" is the least legit experience possible for Bioshock because that's literally what the entire twist is about.