Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
Prepare for the protagonist's wrists to be horribly abused. The explanation of the great chain doesn't really ever occur in-game. Out of curiosity is this a playthrough of the whole series or just Bioshock 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019

chitoryu12 posted:

I just completed a full playthrough of the entire series last month. The Great Chain is explained well, but you need to be judicious about picking up the audio logs to ensure that you're understanding the full context of everything. There's a lot of characters whose stories are told (sometimes out of order) from the start to the finish of the game in those logs, plus a lot of Andrew Ryan explaining his philosophy and issues.

The Great Chain is the analogy Ryan came up with for his extreme free market libertarian economy. No one individual can move the chain, but the entirety of Rapture will pull it in the way it needs to go naturally. Predictably, he doesn't take it well when it looks like it might not pull in the direction he wants it to.

I recommend it. It's better than you'd expect it to be and it helps flesh out some of Rapture and the Big Daddy development a bit more.

missed those audio logs. I'd also chime in the audio logs are pretty good, and the environmental storytelling in the game in general is great. Adding another person to the request for subtitles, the audio in this game can be rather finicky for dialogue between various splicers or wandering characters.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
Its mentioned in a sort of throw away line, that he's got some sort of pheromones that allows him to control the splicers.