Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh huh. I thought I already signed up for this one. My memory gets worse every year.

Dwarf me please. Do love me a good tale of dwarves, darkness, and doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Gnoman posted:

The Dwarfing list is here, so get on it before the list gets too long!

Use this link to sign up for a term as overseer.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Ah, I was wrong. The correct answer is 'i'm an idiot.'

Today as been hell for me, I'm sorry.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
I'm sure death was a better outcome than being tended back to health by my hands.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ajaxify posted:

I'm sure death was a better outcome than being tended back to health by my hands.

We do have an acceptable doctor among the founding dwarves.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

back in my day you didn't need no doctor, you just sewed your spine back together with some *adamantine thread* and went right back to work

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Radio Free Kobold posted:

back in my day you didn't need no doctor, you just sewed your spine back together with some *adamantine thread* and went right back to work

Look at fancybones over there. I'm proud to use our clan's own barbed wire, lovingly twisted and allowed to oxidize in the dankest conditions.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
From the diary of Tinasth Ginbeard: 551-2-22

Finally arrived at the new site. Sorry showing in the architecture, we're gonna need roofs before the weather gets really bad. They say there's magma crabs below, which bodes good for warmth - and the chill keeps out any blood gnats. I really hate those loving things.

I wonder what fish lurk in the frozen streams, and will make improving the fish industry my first priority.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

24th of Hematite

Work has begun on the roof over the entrance, the leafy tip to the great carrot that is our fortress beneath the ice. A human caravan is the first to pass through what will soon be massive gates, the tall ones bringing a shipment of wood, metal and drink in exchange for a vast collection of stone-hewn trinkets.

Following shortly after those humans are yet more migrants. Perhaps migrants is the wrong word them. I myself am a prisoner, sent here to die in the cold. It's not inconceivable that many of these people are suffering the same fate as I am, cast aside by an uncaring king. Whatever the case, they need to be sorted and equipped. We can't afford to have any idle hands.

Valtonen, a trapper and a doctor.

Necrotic, a dwarf who has seen his fair share of tavern brawls.

Guper and ChocolatePancake, child daughters of Valtonen. Their presence seems to disprove my theory.

World War Mammories, a master of both love and war.

GrabbinPeels, a planter who will doubtless love this place.

Danaru, an axe murderer

Cugel, a gemcutter. We have plenty of gems so she should never find herself being idle.

Biosterous, an animal dissector with an appreciation for music.

There are only so many spaces available in which beds can be placed and only so much wood from which beds can be made. For now, many of our fresh meat will have to sleep on smoothed floors.

16th of Galena
Baiwyd and Viola the Mad have been put to rest. With Baiwyd's corpse having been lost to the magma, a different sort of memorial needed to be made. Viola shall receive one too in time, a tombstone to stand beside her coffin.

The fog has finally reached our test animal. When it returned, the donkey show no signs of pain, even when prodded with a pick. The fog instills some sort of numbness within those it touches though it doesn't seem to do much more. Other symptoms may only begin to manifest as time passes. I will have to monitor this creature closely.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I wonder, is it possible to expose certain volunteers to the fog to render them pain-immune? Depends what happens to the mule, I suppose.

e: you can totally fit more beds in those rooms. at least four.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 26, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I wonder, is it possible to expose certain volunteers to the fog to render them pain-immune?

As someone currently too useful to be drafted into the military, this is an astoundingly good idea and we should try it on all these spare musicians we have lying around.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so what're the odds that The Fog ends up causing our dwarves to become crazed berserkers with no fear of death? this bodes well. :shepface:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Black Robe posted:

As someone currently too useful to be drafted into the military, this is an astoundingly good idea and we should try it on all these spare musicians we have lying around.

Do you really want a bagpipe player you can't throw things at to make them stop?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Lone Badger posted:

Do you really want a bagpipe player you can't throw things at to make them stop?

Imagine the echo in those tunnels from a bagpipe

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tulip posted:

Imagine the echo in those tunnels from a bagpipe

Sound just slamming off the walls spiraling down the stairs seeping below the shut doors to rooms perspiring out of the stone

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

"Some say you can still hear the bagpipes playing in those haunted halls to this day..."

Tias
May 25, 2008

No poo poo, we'll all kill ourselves to get away from the piper you can't hit hard enough to shut up

turol
Jul 31, 2017
I'm rather surprised those bagpipes don't menace with spikes of some kind. Every other item seems to.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

turol posted:

I'm rather surprised those bagpipes don't menace with spikes of some kind. Every other item seems to.

It menaces with spikes of music. They're metaphorical spikes, you see, they come out whenever it's played.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

It menaces with spikes of music. They're metaphorical spikes, you see, they come out whenever it's played.

It's not called Rock & Roll here. We have Rock & Impale. You can play in the keys of rust or trauma. Once the players start, they can't stop until there's been enough blood spilled to satisfy the gods themselves. It can be dwarf blood; the gods aren't fussy.

See also Sex, and Drugs.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Xlorp posted:

It can be dwarf blood; the gods aren't fussy.

If you can't find free range blood, store bought is fine.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i am very very very angry (but i don't let you see it)

:smith:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

biosterous posted:

i am very very very angry (but i don't let you see it)

:smith:

i am very very very hairy (and not afraid to show it)

:wookie:

It's difficult to throw and fire pottery being this hairy, easily the hairiest member of the Frilly Dresses of Smoothness. The other dwarfs around the kiln laugh at me, nicknaming me "Hairy Craftdwarf Who Makes Pots".

But I'll show them, some day, when my long hair becomes useful in some very meaningful way at a critical juncture, the specifics of which I'm a bit fuzzy on.

But regardless please don't post me near the lava, the heat and high humidity are terrible for my beautiful, beautiful hair. How would you feel if you destroyed hair like this?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
My dorf is hopeful for the future- Oh boy those illusions are going to dispel soon enough.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm a fervent worshipper of Deler Umerearthen. Who/what is that and do I want to know?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tias posted:

I'm a fervent worshipper of Deler Umerearthen. Who/what is that and do I want to know?

One of the updates on the first page talks about our pantheon. Deler is a dwarf goddess of metals, nothing terrifying. As far as we know :tinfoil:

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

25th of Limestone

To ensure that none of our animals starve, rudimentary pastures have been made deep in the caverns. Nearby to our entry-point into the depths is a pack of amphibian men armed with wooden spears and wearing sneering expressions. I don't like the threat their presence implies. They will have to be eliminated sooner or later.

26th of Limestone
The amphibians are dead but so is necrotic, drowned while wrestling one of the smooth-skinned spearmen. His skeleton lies at the bottom of the great subterranean lake, never to be retrieved. Whatever family he had will have to be notified of his death. Letting them hang on to the hope of him merely being 'missing' would be cruel.

7th of Sandstone

Work in the forges has stopped. Our only metalworker has been touched some sort of divine spark forcing him to work on a trinket of some sort rather than work on arming the military with suitable weapons. A single silver bar is all he needs to complete his task. Perhaps he will make something useful, like a goblet or a vial.

I suppose an earring will do.

8th of Sandstone

Our numbers increase day by day, scarcely giving us time to accommodate those who came in the waves before. The latest group of travelers is one of mixed usefulness.

Llama, a leatherworker with an array of medical skills

Cythereal, a miner-to-be

Kobold, a dwarf

Ott, a willing body for the military to use

Osroct, of a similar description

izo, an impressive metalsmith and someone to take the burden off of Black Robe.

Mathwyn, whose primary skill is utterly useless in a place as bleak as this.

Oggy, someone for whom potential is their most positive trait

Crystalgate, another mouth to feed.

Gnoman, the manager, will assign them jobs in due time. It isn't something I care to look at myself. Our brother dwarves have just dropped off some wood and metal at the depot. Having not yet struck any significant veins of ore, we are at the mercy of traders for our metal supplies. This isn't a situation I have any comfort being in. We will have to find ores very quickly.

15th of Timber

The one military squad we have at our disposal rushed out to the meet the giant. It was mere paces away from our gate when it clashed with Danaru. One mighty blow caused the dwarf's lower body to pop like a grape and spread blood and guts over the snow like red wine. A storm of steel and fury forced the huge monster back, with the swordsdwarf MGargantua landing the decisive blow with a steel short sword to the giant's head, blade piercing from one ear to the other. Though the crisis was averted, we have lost yet another dwarf. Four of our number have died in as many months. This is a worrying trend and gives me shivers when I give it thought.

A giant at our gates must mean that the stories of our wealth are spreading across the land. The gate above our heads need to be completed. Worse horrors than giants will follow after the beast we have just slain.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Congrats on the extremely metal death, Dan

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Goddamn that's a metal description. I love it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

hell yeah :black101:
please put me in the militia as a crossbowdwarf if you haven't already, i too wish to die horribly.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Can't wait for more glorious death. The descriptions of combat were always the best part.

thepharmtech
Feb 15, 2017

Take the suggestion from my avatar
Let's hope we can find some metal soon

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

An earring, huh? It's a start.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Black Robe posted:

An earring, huh? It's a start.

Do you have Prince Albrecht in a can?

turol
Jul 31, 2017
I'm on the dwarfing list and there's a star next to my name but I can't find a screenshot of myself. Did you miss it or did you miss naming me entirely?

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

It seems I forgot to upload the screenshot. Humblest apologies. ''

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Ah, finally made it. Looks like I can be useful cannon-fodder.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

I appreciate that my dorf is both tall and very fat.

Also just you wait, I'm sure there are some bees out here somewhere!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Mathwyn posted:

I appreciate that my dorf is both tall and very fat.

Also just you wait, I'm sure there are some bees out here somewhere!

Ice Bees turning snowflakes into delicious frost honey, Magma Bees turning molten metals into delicious Lava Honey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Black Robe posted:

Yay, metaldorf!

God's dang blow-in took my job!!

IPA is undoubtedly milling into the elvish wine, making waspish remarks about the poor quality of the immigrant-produced weapons he's seeing and telling anyone who will listen how the lead cabinet he made once back home was the talk of the mountainhome (notwithstanding the several dwarves who starved to death while hauling it to his bedroom)