Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The future of Take a Hike
This poll is closed.
Move it to YLLS (or similar) 13 76.47%
Move a few threads and shut it down 3 17.65%
Other (post below) 1 5.88%
Total: 17 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hello all!

We've had a number of PMs and notes saying that Take a Hike is hard to find, and given that the moderation of TaH is entirely disconnected from DIY (other than us passing along rare reports), perhaps it would flourish better if moved elsewhere.

Top level is unlikely, but there's some discussion about whether YLLS would be a good destination, though I haven't talked directly with the mods of YLLS yet.

What do people think of this? None of this is a done deal at this point, but Take a Hike could use more visibility and personally I don't think it gains anything from being under DIY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The consideration is appreciated, but this forum is long over. We put a fair amount of effort into a revitalization campaign. That thread is still on the first page, and last posted in in 2017. Time to let this one go. Move the 4 active threads to ylls and archive this forum

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

yeah, not sure why it's in diy but a subforum under ylls would probably be more appropriate.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Move it top-level in the main forum section under GBS or PYF for a week to remind people this forum exists and build some bookmarks then move it to YLLS

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I think it should stay, it reminds us all backpacking is as dead as the forum

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Move it to tfr and let that absorb hunting and fishing and hiking

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

YLLS already has a hiking and backpacking megathread so maybe move some stuff there.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Voice of Labor posted:

Move it to tfr and let that absorb hunting and fishing and hiking

Probably a better place for the hunting and fishing threads than ylls. Why do you want the hiking thread? Don't y'all just ride ATVs? :blastu:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Why not have a top level outdoor forum and consolidate all the random a&t, firing range, YLLS, etc threads? There is a lot of crossover and promoting getting outside is a good thing.

Otherwise i say YLLS because that is the first place i looked for an outdoor forum and had to search to even find this place. Who the hell thought DIY and hiking made sense :psyduck:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Otherwise i say YLLS because that is the first place i looked for an outdoor forum and had to search to even find this place. Who the hell thought DIY and hiking made sense :psyduck:

I believe it used to be "DIY & Hobbies"

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
There's maybe 9 active threads. I forgot this forum even existed because I wouldn't think to look under DIY for it. I support both positions of moving the forum or removing the forum completely and saving a few threads for YLLS since both options are better than what we have now

Indiana
Feb 28, 2003
We named the dog Indiana!
I dig the rv and camping poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A few things in no particular order:

1) forums and subforums aren't exactly a limited resource. Each new forumID doesn't have to be crafted by dwarves under strange and foreboding mountaints and quenched in the otherworldy fires of shitposters past. Like, I once got drunk and made a shitposting subforum in the mod forum without telling anyone to see how long it would take people to notice.

2) if there's a solid community of people doing a thing in a place I tend towards preserving that rather than getting rid of it.

3) this place could absolutely use more eyes on it, and frankly it being in DIY is kind of baffling. I've got zero problems moving a sub if that's what you all want. I think it could also use more visibility across the forums and I think part of that is finding other hiking-adjacent threads and reminding people this place exists. Like, there is a camping thread in TFR. Now TFR likes to have their weird little mini threads to replicate all the other subs that they're afraid to go in (we have a video game thread too) but I have no doubt that some cross pollination would be possible.

4) only having a couple of active threads is an ongoing issue across the forums because of people falling in love with bookmarks. My only real suggestion is to be the change you want to see in the world. Make a thread about a trip you're taking or make a thread about a new tent you bought or that weird thing your dog found at the lake or just whatever other outdoors stuff you *checkes notes* outdoor goons talk about. Is there wifi in the woods? Maybe that's your problem? Try going inside more and using the internet.

But yeah, I've been trying to prod people in TFR to make a few more threads about weird poo poo rather than just squat on the same favorites all the time. Those new threads tend to have short life spans but that's fine. Not every thread has to be a 500+ page megathread. Having 3 or 4 pages of discussion about the fancy new tent pegs released this year and then moving on to something else is fine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Something occurred to me, if you guys want to move somewhere and want to make a bit of an event out of it to get more eyeballs on this place, you could do a whole "subforum gone hiking" thing where we just move it from sub to sub. Like, make it a sub of GBS for a day, then a sub of BYOB, then a sub of TFR, then AI, etc. Get the mods who adopt it as a sub for a day or two to say something about it in whatever that forum's chat thread is. Encourage outdoorsy types in other subs to come in and make a dumb thread of their own.

Literally early morning ideas so don't know if it's a good one or not, but going for a walk to the other forums before reaching one where you settle down for a bit seems like it would be on-brand for the goons that like to walk around outside.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If y'all with the stars can fire this place up again, rock n roll. Save us from having to post in cesspools like this

https://facebook.com/groups/561648127802924

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something occurred to me, if you guys want to move somewhere and want to make a bit of an event out of it to get more eyeballs on this place, you could do a whole "subforum gone hiking" thing where we just move it from sub to sub. Like, make it a sub of GBS for a day, then a sub of BYOB, then a sub of TFR, then AI, etc. Get the mods who adopt it as a sub for a day or two to say something about it in whatever that forum's chat thread is. Encourage outdoorsy types in other subs to come in and make a dumb thread of their own.

Literally early morning ideas so don't know if it's a good one or not, but going for a walk to the other forums before reaching one where you settle down for a bit seems like it would be on-brand for the goons that like to walk around outside.

Im not exactly a regular in this subforum as i only just found it while looking for the backpacking thread ( which isn't even in here lol), but this could be a neat idea. You would have to have it be like a week though, nobody would notice it if its just a day.

Also why i think it would be better as a top level forum, easy visibility and like has been said there are a lot of active outdoor threads, they are just scattered all over the place

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I do think that having the forum travel around for a bit could be helpful along with some ads in rotation to draw attention to it before it settles in as a YLLS subforum or whatever else. I also think rebranding the forum as more of a general outdoors activities sub would be helpful. There is already a couple threads for fishing and general tackle craft and the obvious thread for camping and hiking gear, but topics like hunting, biking and boating could also reasonably be included in here.

And I do think part of the problem is that for quite a while you had these topics scattered around the forum in their own threads like what you have with the fishing thread here and in A/T. There is a decent amount of crossover between the threads, but still plenty of posters that only post in one or the other. I'm certain that there is a similar situation on other topics where pushing them towards this sub would help drive activity and discussion on the topic.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 13, 2020

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Mr. Crow posted:

Why not have a top level outdoor forum and consolidate all the random a&t, firing range, YLLS, etc threads? There is a lot of crossover and promoting getting outside is a good thing.

Yeah a top level general outdoors forum seems like it would be more useful than this subforum of DIY. I always forget this forum exists and i go hiking, camping, kayaking, etc dozens of times a year and just occasionally post about it in various threads across the forums. Barring that moving it to YLLS seems a little better but still a little off if people use it for hunting and fishing and such. Rename it "The Great Outdoors" and put it under discussion

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Renaming it sounds like a good idea and I like The Great Outdoors (The Goon Outdoors?) as an idea.

There is some forums reorganization in general I want to do (but which has been perpetually delayed by the assorted crises of the past six months) but making this one top level seems like it could work. I’m all for a forums ad and iirc the admins can make that happen. I need to look into what that part of the panel looks like since I haven’t done if before but I think it’s pretty easy. Anyone in here an artist or think they are? I’m happy to use anything you all come up with for the ad.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Great Outdoors is what I was thinking too. Cyrano if you fancy making it top level I'm all for it, and happy to mod it temporarily until we can sort out long term mods (presumably some or all of the current IKs).

We can always move it later if need be.

Bit of a culture emulsion to achieve if we start pulling in threads from other subfora with (potentially) differing posting standards.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Moving threads is going to be a touchy subject. Like I know for a fact the TFR camping thread wouldn’t be happy with it and I’d provably end up with another TFR camping thread before a day was done PLUS the one I moved. Sometimes niche forums like having oddball semi-related threads.

That said I’m all for moving threads where people are chill with it.

I dunno thoughts? Moving threads is always such a fraught topic.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Perhaps that can be case by case after the move.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It also helps that those threads in random forums tend to be very general purpose. Like the TFR one is just “doing poo poo outdoors that isn’t hunting.” By the same token CSPAM has a gun thread that is way more general than anything in TFR.

I’d hope that if we get some traction on this it would have some more specific and even niche threads. Like a whole thread on what hiking boots are good isn’t going to do much anywhere else but it might have legs here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

but it might have legs here.

hue hue hue

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah the megathreads can probably stay in their own forums, yospos has an outdoors thread but it's to lament being stuck at a computer instead of going outside. Maybe just someone can post in them to direct more specific discussions to the outdoor forum?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah that’s my plan for TFR at least.

And like the forums in general. I’m probably going to get a bit annoying spamming them.

Speaking of which if you all could find the existing outdoors-y threads and link them in here that’d be swell.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

YOSPOS has a cat thread, CSPAM has an anime thread, byob has a music (creation) thread, and Games has an A/T thread (for game devs). When subforums have a thread for topics covered by other subforums, they still work well because the subforum residents and culture give it a unique spin that is interesting enough to be self sustaining.

So, in my opinion, moving threads (from other subforums to The Great Outdoors) is probably not a great idea, but having a couple ads to promote the place could be nice. People post in outdoor threads in other subforums because there was no generic "Outdoor" subforum. If moving threads would be useful, then it should be considered on a case by case basis by asking the thread residents and mods about it.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of which if you all could find the existing outdoors-y threads and link them in here that’d be swell.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522567

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817829

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490050

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah that’s my plan for TFR at least.

And like the forums in general. I’m probably going to get a bit annoying spamming them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855556&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ask/Tell has a general fishing thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480910

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Title ideas-
The Great Outdoors
The Goon Outdoors
Goons Going Outside
Goon Scout Camp

Everything is megathreads, embrace it. Pick a subject you enjoy and make a thread. Here is a list of ideas
Hiking
Gear
Peak bagging
Rock climbing
Ice climbing
Skiing
Mountaineering
Other gear
Paddle boating
Motor boating your mom
Biking is the new motor head crap
Running and yoga and other gym stuff done on a mountain for insta fame
Camping
Cooking outside
Pooping outside
Gear for dogs and babies
Glacier travel
Ice skating
Parks, refuges, forests
Trespassing
Conservation is last because no one cares
Gear, buy more crap to look at and think about going outside but don't actually go

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Epitope posted:

Title ideas-
The Great Outdoors
The Goon Outdoors
Goons Going Outside
Goon Scout Camp

The Call of Nature
Go Outside Goon
Leaving The Basement
General Bearshit

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

General Bearshit

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Does a goon poo poo in the woods?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923325

Is an outdoorsy type thread, but I'd have to see how the sailboat racing folk feel about being in an outdoors forum vs AI.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Epitope posted:

Title ideas-
Goons Going Outside

This was a thing once, wasn't it? It rings old bells.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

This was a thing once, wasn't it? It rings old bells.

I had the same feeling, but can't place it either

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Epitope posted:

I had the same feeling, but can't place it either

I think it used to be the name for Tourism & Travel, see https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2837429&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post342973607

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

PokeJoe posted:

General Bearshit

This either as the title or subtitle or general thread

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also for an ad and to also drum up awareness maybe make a GBS thread about the new forum and have a competition for ads, kinda like a Photoshop thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Goons Getting Sunburn