Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can you not buy a used large tank for cheap on ebay and bolt it up? Or fab a bracket to bolt it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Not many in the UK, and certainly no Softail 2018 and onwards ones.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

But you have a Harley. The whole point is to customize it.

Grab any old tank that looks like it's about the right size and shape and figure out a way to make it fit. Paying a fabricator to do this and a body shop to give it a matching paint job would probably still be less than £2000

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*pounding fists on table*

Safari tank!

Safari tank!

Safari tank!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Sagebrush posted:

But you have a Harley. The whole point is to customize it.

Grab any old tank that looks like it's about the right size and shape and figure out a way to make it fit. Paying a fabricator to do this and a body shop to give it a matching paint job would probably still be less than £2000

I swapped tanks on my dyna after the accident and I can tell you that this is not the case. The main reason why is because they are EFI motors with fuel pumps in the tanks. Its not a normal gravity feed tank. Also the top plates for the tanks are different from model to model. For instance mine is a low rider and I bought a tank on ebay for a wide glide. The mounts for the console are different between the two. Granted I didn't really have to do much but bend the tabs. But they are different and I don't know anything about the new softail dynas. All of this is silly to do to gain a marginal amount of fuel.

I don't really know what you are doing that you have to fill the tank every single day. Since me filling my tank would be doing an entire days worth of riding. I think when I went to Indiana a tank of gas lasted about an hour and half maybe 2 hours if I stretched it. Which is like 140 miles to the tank or so, you could probably do more if you stretched it. But honestly I do not want to sit on a bike for 140 miles solid.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Safari tank!

Safari tank!

Safari tank!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
The other thing I would say is that since you have a new softail dyna. That getting parts for it won't be as easy as it was for the other dynas. Since they mostly didn't change for a long time. I think I paid $300 for my tank painted on ebay and $500 for my fender painted from harley. You can obviously make anything work with enough time and effort though.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Safari tank!

Safari tank!

Safari tank!

plus headlight grille made out of old cake rack.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Decided to forget getting a bigger tank. Too much money for it.

On a different note, why the gently caress are Harley mirrors stems and nuts 5/16"? Why can't it be standard m10 or m8 or something?

gently caress.

Now I have to buy a set of 5/16" nuts and washers that I will use for gently caress all else.

And a 5/16" spanner because I don't have one and I hated using my adjustible one today and I need a set of actual spanners so whatever, buying
a 48 pc set of Metric and Imperial.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Because America.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If imperial fittings annoy you, I'm afraid you bought the wrong bike.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Slavvy posted:

If imperial fittings annoy you, I'm afraid you bought the wrong bike.

lol for real, it is going to be a mix a of metric and imperial fittings. As they mostly have been for ages and ages.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The buying tools I only need for this Harley annoys me, but it's done now (spanner wise at least).

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

The buying tools I only need for this Harley annoys me, but it's done now (spanner wise at least).

I guess thats hard for me to understand since I have to have both metric and imperial to work on anything since I live in the US. I wish I could just have a metric set and be confident that it would work on everything I touched. But at this point I am so used everything being mixed that I just roll with it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've got normal tools, and Harley tools, and they stay in separate boxes. Which is great until you have to work on a part of the Harley that isn't imperial.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The new Indian Chief Dark Horse looks incredible and basically seems to me, personally, the perfect cruiser bike. https://www.indianmotorcycle.co.uk/chief-dark-horse/

Looks wise: A+
Engine: 116, which is 2 inches more than the Harley 114.
Controls: Mids, which is great.
Instrument cluster: Looks excellent, and the built in GPS makes having to bolt on a TomTom/Garmin unnecessary which is fantastic.

I need to go have a test ride after COVID.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A whole two inches?!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, it's not that important, but more is more. :)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Steakandchips posted:

The new Indian Chief Dark Horse looks incredible and basically seems to me, personally, the perfect cruiser bike. https://www.indianmotorcycle.co.uk/chief-dark-horse/

Looks wise: A+
Engine: 116, which is 2 inches more than the Harley 114.
Controls: Mids, which is great.
Instrument cluster: Looks excellent, and the built in GPS makes having to bolt on a TomTom/Garmin unnecessary which is fantastic.

I need to go have a test ride after COVID.

God if I dont upgrade to a vmax (then die because my wife will literally kill me before I do it on the bike) I want to get a dark horse. Those things look so goddamn good and most of the resposnes on them have been that they are great bikes.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I like everything about it except the rear fender, but I have the feeling that's something that can be addressed by an aftermarket manufacturer. I don't even need the big art deco fenders, I just want it to stretch down over the rear tire a bit more (I seem to be the one weirdo that doesn't like this bobber style fender even on the harleys). Otherwise it does everything I want it to, especially the gigantic engine in something that isn't much bigger or heavier than my kasawaki.

I was going to look at a scout this spring, but I may need to test ride this as well.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The bobber style mudguards on the Chief, IMO, look good but are not very useful in the wet. I'd still buy one (and I did, when I bought the Fat Bob), because who gives a poo poo and you can always wash the bike afterwards.

The Indian Scout rides absolutely lovely and I'd have bought one and not even have test ridden the Fat Bob had the Scout not had the ridiculous forward controls. The Fat Bob's "mids" (they're more like mid-forwards) were way more comfortable to me.

The Chief has mids too, which I think will make it, to me, the better bike ergo-wise (compared to the Scout). It's also got more engine (obviously).

Hellmaker, get the Dark Horse and write about it in this thread to make the rest of us get one!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Steakandchips posted:

The bobber style mudguards on the Chief, IMO, look good but are not very useful in the wet. I'd still buy one (and I did, when I bought the Fat Bob), because who gives a poo poo and you can always wash the bike afterwards.

The Indian Scout rides absolutely lovely and I'd have bought one and not even have test ridden the Fat Bob had the Scout not had the ridiculous forward controls. The Fat Bob's "mids" (they're more like mid-forwards) were way more comfortable to me.

The Chief has mids too, which I think will make it, to me, the better bike ergo-wise (compared to the Scout). It's also got more engine (obviously).

Hellmaker, get the Dark Horse and write about it in this thread to make the rest of us get one!

I've sat on two scouts previously, I never thought the feet pegs were all that forward. Definitely not mid controls but my legs were at 90-95 angles, and I have a 28 inseam, I guess the ergos are just right for me and what I'm used to. It really is a small bike, definitely mid-sized to compact, even if the engine punches above its weight class.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 10, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Regarding the Scout, I'm 6' and have a 30" inseam, but I am not very flexible and it hurt my lower back something awful while riding it.

The controls felt way too far forward, and I'd checked with the dealer, it wasn't the extended reach version for Tall Guys, it was the standard reach controls (the handlebars felt fine).

The engine and handling were fantastic though, really confidence inspiring.

Re the new Chief Dark Horse, I'm so glad they did away with the stupid cowling on the headlight. I really want one.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Re the new Chief Dark Horse, I'm so glad they did away with the stupid cowling on the headlight. I really want one.

Well gently caress, now I want one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looked at some pictures, it looks like the dyna switchback or similar type of bike that Harley don't make anymore, except the rear suspension design looks really, really micky mouse to me. Shocks far too horizontal for effective geometry control, brutally tight spring coils means gently caress all travel and implies compromise in favour of packaging/style at the expense of handling dynamics. None of this would sound unusual to a dyna owner so it's probably a shrewd move and they'll sell heaps.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

I liked the new one until I saw what the last one was.

You think the new one is better than that?! The cowl and huge fenders make it unique and old time and cool. I guess I'm not their target market because I didn't buy the last one or this one, and you clearly want the new one. :shrug:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Coydog posted:

I liked the new one until I saw what the last one was.

You think the new one is better than that?! The cowl and huge fenders make it unique and old time and cool. I guess I'm not their target market because I didn't buy the last one or this one, and you clearly want the new one. :shrug:

I love the huge fenders but the cowl just looks like it's trying too hard.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
To me the cowl reminds me of an art deco train and fits the rest of the styling. I can see why some wouldn't like it though. Granted, I'm the biggest drat apologist for the big fenders there is, to the point of festooning my vulcan to look like one till I can afford a dark horse (unless I get a scout in the meantime). That said, I hope this new one can drive the prices of the used 16-21 models down a bit.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

As Nero Danced posted:

To me the cowl reminds me of an art deco train and fits the rest of the styling.

That's it!! I kept thinking "reminds me of a train" but couldn't quite place it. I mean it's seems like it would fit in in a western, but I kept thinking "train/locomotive". Art deco train is exactly it.

I get why it would put someone off, with that peak in the cowl. If it was less, or rounded, that would be better. But it goes hard and I respect that.

Also your vulcan cosplay rocks and nobody would know that wasn't factory if they saw it out and about. Your vulcan is why I appreciate this sort of big fender cruiser styling nowadays.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

To me the cowl reminds me of an art deco train and fits the rest of the styling. I can see why some wouldn't like it though.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?
My Indian will always be my favorite motorcycle. I really need to invest in some warmer riding clothes to extend my riding season.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's a nice blue

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful bike.

Also, Indian's mirrors are nicer looking than H-D's.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah that color rules

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never thought I would say “that baby/sky blue color looks sick as hell” but, well, here I am

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BrianM87 posted:

My Indian will always be my favorite motorcycle. I really need to invest in some warmer riding clothes to extend my riding season.

Hot drat that color combination is gorgeous.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It looks like a boat but in a good way.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I know everyone already said this but drat that blue is really stunning. The brown leather goes really well with it too.

RE warm gear, get one of these and then some 12V heated base layer gear and you can pretty much wear it under your regular motorcycle clothes. I'm generally good to about 28° F; any colder and I can't keep my forehead warm. For some reason nobody makes a heated helmet or heated visor for motorcycle helmets, so I have no idea how dudes race across ice in Serbia. But that stuff generally means I can ride for about 10 months of the year up in Massachusetts.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get one of these bicycling caps that will fit under your helmet and keep you warm.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-FS260-Pro-Skull-Cap_216616.htm

I have one and it works great in Scotland under my motorcycle helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

For some reason nobody makes a heated helmet or heated visor for motorcycle helmets, so I have no idea how dudes race across ice in Serbia.

HJC and Scorpion both make dual-pane and heated visors for a couple of their current on-road models, and Bell does one for a dirtbike helmet with a DOT rating. Might be tougher to find with something better than DOT, though one of the HJCs has an ECE cert.