Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is my first attempt at an effort post so if it sucks sorry ya'll.

I'm going to be honest with you and say straight out I don't even think I can explain this game fully. Like if you've played a Romancing Saga game before you know that they can have some weird mechanics and this game is no different. This is where I feel this game is much different vs other gatcha games.

So this is a gatcha game but it does have a twist that seems to set it apart from other lovely gatcha games and so far its not evil (this seems to hold true for the JPN version too). There are three different ranks of characters SS, S, and A but! the SS characters are not automatically better vs. an S or even an A in some cases.

Take a look through this as it has some good explanations for the mechanics in the game,
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r28Rq8xoGxAo_yrt_CL8n434Gdy0uWMVGt8idDabo60/mobilepresent?slide=id.p

This is a really good explanation from the gatcha thread,

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

I don't have it in me to maintain an OP or add pretty pictures and stuff but here's an effort post on the most central mechanic that IMO is the most confusing part of the game. The material I saw floating around on reddit was poorly written, incomplete, or assumed you were on the JP client. Or videos that were way too long for me to give a single poo poo about. This is basically the core concept of like 99% of what makes this game unique compared to other gacha JRPGs. Feel free to steal this for whatever. Or don't idgaf

Characters vs Styles - If you're familiar with object-oriented programming at all, the easiest way to sum it up is that characters are classes and styles are objects.

For those of you who aren't broken husks who write code for a living: Each character is the foundation for their corresponding styles. A single character, like Barbara, has an A rank, an S rank, and an SS rank. It doesn't have to be linear like that either - Gilbert has two SS ranks!

Characters have:
- Base stats
- EXP pools
- Skills/spells, kind of (it's easier to think of them as being style-specific though)
- A weapon type (swords, axes, martial arts, etc.)

Styles have:
- Stat modifiers (i.e. all those percentages you see when you level them up)
- Skills/spells (I'm just referring to this as "skills" from now on unless there's a meaningful distinction)
- Abilities
- Levels, which are increased using the character's EXP pool
- A level cap that can be increased using those puzzle piece things
- Innate physical/magical resistances (which can then be modified using equipment)
- Skins!

Skills are learned with one of the most famous(?) SaGa features - sparking (Reuniverse calls it Grasping, I think.) Basically whenever you use a style in battle, if they haven't already learned all three of the skills they have access to there's a chance that they'll "spark" and learn one of those skills. They can also spark an existing skill, which increases its rank. Ranks makes the skill better. As of this writing (and I know nothing about the JP client so idk what will/will not change for any of this) skills max out at rank 99.

Once a skill has been learned by a style, it can be "inherited" by any other style that character has. That skill's rank is also character-based. Basically, once a skill has been learned it is unlocked for the character, not just the style. However, only one skill can be inherited at a time, meaning that you'll only ever have a maximum of four skills on a style for combat (the style's 3 skills + 1 character/inherited skill). There's no cost to changing it and it can be set in each party configuration; this lets you set up inherited skills to complement party comp without it being a pain in the neck.

The coolest part of all this is that whenever a new style comes out (like Christmas Monika) that means that whatever effort you've put into that character already makes bringing that style up to speed much quicker!

Three reasons why the character/style system is very player-friendly:
- Each new style increases the potential amount of inheritable skills (though some characters have the same skill on more than one style.)
- Since EXP is character-based, you can zerg a new style to level 30+ if you've been using that character a ton and have a buttload of EXP sitting around. I have more than one character at 99999 EXP and nothing to do with it until I increase their level cap or unlock a new style for them.
- Shared base stats means that a new style isn't going to be starting out from scratch, even if they're weak until you put some levels into their style.

Stat modifiers are all those percentages that you see whenever you level up a style. For example: Let's say the character Barbara has a base agility of 10. (should go without saying but these numbers are completely made up.) The S-Barbara style has an agility modifier of +10%, so that style's agility is 11. SS-Barbara has an agility modifier of +20%, so that style's agility is 12. If, while using either one of those styles (or another one!), Barbara gets an AGI + 1 at the end of a battle/expedition/whatever, that increases her base stat. That means that S-Barbara now has 11 + (11 * .10) and SS Barbara has 11 + (11 * .20). As far as I know the game always rounds down but I'm not certain.

There's one stat that is static across all styles: HP. Unless there's an ability that modifies HP (beats me!) a character's HP is never going to vary between styles.

Since this is SaGa where nothing can be straightforward, you don't gain stats when you level up using EXP. Character stats are increased either via combat or expedition. At the end of a battle, there's a chance that a character will gain +1 in any stat, or multiple, or maybe even more than +1 in a stat (though that's really rare outside of expeditions.) In general, lower rarity styles have better chances of stat increases. When you look at a style's details, any stat with a blue arrow has a higher chance of increasing after battle, and two blue arrows means it's even higher.

But! This is SaGa! Nothing is straightforward!! In some cases, while a lower rank style might have better growths in more stats, they may not have the best growth in the stat you care about. If you're trying to raise Emerald's INT, you're better off using SS-Emerald than A-Emerald since SS-Emerald has an increased chance of INT growth and A-Emerald does not. A-Emerald has better growths in several other stats whereas SS Emerald's only good growth is in INT. No matter what, if you use a character enough with any style their stats will eventually go up. If you're lazy and just want to grind stats across the board without thinking overmuch, the best option is to just toss the lowest rarity you've got in there. This is the right option most of the time. And again, you can grind out stats using a low rarity style and then pump all that EXP you earned into your high rarity style that'll be more useful for difficult content. It's really nice!

One last note: some "characters" don't always have the same name. This applies to a lot of Romancing SaGa 2 characters since there weren't really named characters too much in that game but an easy to parse example is from SaGa Frontier. A-Red and SS-Alkaiser are different styles of the same character, because Alkaiser is just a superhero powerup secret identity of Red. All of the character/style rules apply to them just the same as any other character/style.

The shortest possible explanation: Characters have multiple styles. You improve a character by using one of its styles, which improves that character's other styles/gives you resources to spend on any of their styles that you'd like.

---

Honestly all of this is way less scary than it sounds in practice. It's a lot written down but once you've spent some time with the game it feels pretty intuitive. And now that I'm used to it, it feels like a really cool system that I wish more games would adopt. I used to play a lot of FEH and it was always weird having like 18 different Camillas lying around or whatever.

I hope this was useful! Let me know if there's anything else you are confused about. I am a big SaGa dork and this game is basically directly targeted at me and my broken brain. Writing words about it is also much more fun than doing my actual job.

These are the S and A characters you should be on the lookout for.

quote:

There's several S/A units that go unnoticed due to their rank, but can be on any SS level due to their abilities and skills. I picked the top six, yet others can be relevant due to skill inheritance, or being a hard counter to certain enemies.

S Mariah

Why use her: Heals (there's only 4 healers in the game), debuffs INT, heals everyone when KO (like Sophia, can be used for a zombie team), good piercers are very rare. Was a top rated style in JP when they didn't get free Sophia.

Disadvantages: Needs a water elemental spear (to be released soon, at chapter 7) to truly maximize her healing. Even then, her heal-all is huge.

S Katarina

Why use her: Unarguably the best str debuffer in the game. With Flowing Slash and her abilities she can trigger DOUBLE str debuffs a turn just for 5 BP. Even has BP regeneration and self-heal. Makes several bosses (namely level 10 hydra) tremendously easier.

Disadvantages: Damage isn't as high as SS Katarina, but damaging is not her role anyways.

S Undine

Why use her: Cheap AOE, decent A spell, huge 10 BP nuke (cyclone squeeze, you may have heard of it from certain gels). Can HEAL if you inherit from A Undine. Tons of enemies are weak to cold. Best damage caster in the game alongside Blue.

Disadvantages: Needs A version to get heal (gacha ONLY). Reduced to the role of healer if the enemy resists water.

S Claudia

Why use her: Cheap AOE, arguably the best bow user right now. Bigger damage against enemies with weakness: hard counters flying enemies (you'll be surprised how many of these are around) and beasts. Bows are cool, again not many good pierce styles. She's the cutest, her best friends are a bear and a wolf.

Disadvantages: Needs her A style for beast hard counter. Shines when hard-countering or autoing, but can't do much against the rest.

A Bear

Why use him: GOTTA EAT BIG TO GET BIG CMON. Leaving humanity behind, Bear is the only character besides Albert who's got Parry. You know what it does: negate all attacks (except sleep) for a turn, no matter your speed, damage, anything. Put him in front of imperial or desert and bam. Huge when you lower his BP to 5. No shame in spending all your generic bronze pieces on him.

Disadvantages: Can't attack much, have to time your parries well or he may get killed by a blunt attack. As he's an A, has lower stats. AoE attacks make parry pointless. If you have another parrier (Albert or soon to be released Polka) he's got no place in your team.

A Rouge

Why use him: 2BP high chance paralyze. One of the most busted skills in the game by far. Leave an enemy out of commission for FOUR turns, if it's the last enemy remaining just do normal attacks to heal, build up BP and overkill gauge, then slam the next enemies. You can literally clear almost all content just with Bear, Rouge, Sophia and two random guys.

Disadvantages: None? You can farm SS Rouge who is an outright upgrade and, inheriting his skill, becomes one of the two best SS in the game (along Sophia, who's also free). I rate this A guy better than most SS sans 4 or 5, no joke. Paralyze is that broken.

I cleared most game content with a team consisting of A Bear, S Undine, SS Rouge (with A's spell), SS Sophia, and Azami. Azami was the least important character, could've been replaced by pretty much any other decent DPS. The rest is that good. Double heals, parry and paralyze is huge.

There's other S/A who may be very relevant due to the skills they may inherit (S Gustave, A Blue, A Agatha, A Red, A Orion and so on) but I think that's a discussion for another topic.

It's good to mention some hard-counter S characters, like Victor who can shine against Subier due to his electric slash (hits tremendously hard when critical HP), Leonid/Barbara who can cheaply poison him, etc. If you need some magic damage you also have S Myriam and Volcano, both with a mid-chance paralyze to boot. Disclaimer: none of these are as good as them six, who as I said are on the level of almost any SS style.

Most A are trash though, except the two mentioned, plus Undine and Muse (the fourth healer).

Watch out for soon-to-be-released Snowman (healer that can cure status ailments) and Azami (submission and can trigger poison).

Suggested Order for leveling your dudes up.

quote:

Finish Chapter 1 - Normal

Clear Stage 1-2-2

[Unlock Expedition]

Finish Chapter 2 - Normal

Farm SS Rogue on 1-2-12

[Recommended]

{~0.7% Drop Chance}

Finish Chapter 3 - Normal

Finish Chapter 1 - Hard

Finish Chapter 2 - Hard

Finish Chapter 4 - Normal

[+Expedition]

Farm Garuda Event 'til the end

Farm Glowstone Stage 4-6

Finish Chapter 3 - Hard

Finish Chapter 5 - Normal

Farm SS Robin on 1-1-1 V. Hard

[Optional]

{Pierce damage}

Finish Chapter 1 - V. Hard

Finish Chapter 4 - Hard

[+Expedition]

Farm SS Awe on 2-1-3 V. Hard

[Optional]

Finish Chapter 2 - V. Hard

Finish Chapter 3 - V. Hard

Farm SS Terry on 4-1-5 - V. Hard

[Best Stage to farm for status up to 45]

{Enemies weak Slash / Paralyze}

Finish Chapter 5 - V. Hard

Events / Spiral Corridor / Forrest of Mystery

Suggested Characters

Sofia {Healer}

Rogue {Drain, Paralyze from A-Style on SS}

Albert {Parry}

Monica {Tanky DPS}

Expeditions

Gain stats for the character

Stats per character transfer between all styles of that character

After 100HP stat gains from first expedition slow down considerably

Spam these as early as possible, you get tons of tickets

4th Expedition is the best once you finish Chapter 4 Hard

Garuda Event

Never goes away

55k ingots to clear out the shop

S-styles are decent for inheritable skills

Farm stage 4, only boss no small mobs

Ruins Exploration

Stages 4 to 6 based on your party strength

Decent drop rates for upgrade stones

Equipment Upgrades

Upgrade whatever, you'll get more materials

Important to gear up to progress

Dailies

Make sure to do your dailies before you finish for a day regardless of power level

Get as far as you can in Spiral Corridor every month
Team Building

quote:

Different Element Composition
This is probably basic where its good to have Slash, Blunt, and Pierce in your party. Not only does that give you the flexibility of tackling contents with a more generic party, it also allows you to build up characters for future contents where there will be focused element trials (e.g. Blunt does more damage, everything else is resisted with really high numbers).

In my JP Run, I did 2 elements only and turtle some of the content with Rouge as the Mob Control. I struggled in rounds where the target can't be paralyzed, and had to rely on Brute Force to get through the round, and fast. This is also why in some of my recommendations, getting good DPS in there beats having a Crowd Control / Tank in your party. Especially in higher Very Hard rounds where enemies could flick you away with 1 strong skill, or does stupidly eye-rolling AOE damage (looking at you Croakers and your Earthquake).

Play Around with Formation and Proper Positioning
Different formations apply to different situations. There is no 1 golden answer to this. You might see people going for Speculation since there's 3 STR / AGI based DPS. Some might go Imperial Cross or Phoenix Dance to have a higher efficiency for tanks to Parry Single Target attacks. It all depends on your character, and how you want to tackle the round.

In my JP Run, I used Speculation probably 95% of the time because I had: Final Emperor Male (Slash), Azami (Blunt), Captain Hawk (Slash), Rocboquet (Thunder), Undine (Water). Magicians at the back and I had 3 STR/AGI based DPS in front. That has been my stable and was able to clear a lot of trials and contents. I barely touched the other formations because I didn't grind units that could use those like Hunter Shift, I didn't had a good Epee or Bow user back then.

In my current GL Run, I change between Speculation and Hunter Shift since Mikhail is one of my good DPS and Hunter Shift makes him shine more with that 50% DEX.

Jammers Help now and Future Contents
Consider having Jammers as part of your party. I ignored SS Ginny, and Barbara back in JP and now in GL have proven it was a big mistake. In some Very Hard Rounds, I used this party and was pretty helpful. SS Barbara (Pierce), SS Tuxedo Julian (Slash), SS Sophia (Blunt), S Christmas Azami, SS Mikhail on Hunter Shift. I rely on RNG to do Stun and Poison for the post part with Julian lowering their WIL, and Barbara and Azami lowering resistance, AGI, and END. Though it heavily relies on RNG, it works for the most part. This is why SS Blue, Rocboquet (Unreleased) are good. Blue can do Confusion which helps a lot with strong enemies. Rocboquet does Charm in random too.

SS Ginny (not Christmas) and other debuffers play a role in your party's survival on whether they can finish the round quick, or take it slow and survive incoming attacks. Most of the time, the former works better for harder contents.

Read on Characters, their Skills, and Abilities.
This is how people understand who is the (labelled) "good unit", is through the package they bring to your party with their set skills, abilities, and what skill they can inherit.

Good DPS are usually accompanied by Tension X skill (Named Fired Up. Tension III and Tension IV are what's available). This indicates a unit ALWAYS have boosted damage by a certain amount compared to not having those. Heavy Whallop isn't always reliable, but helps in some parts if you can keep that character from being attacked.

This explains why Azami, Christmas Monica, Mikhail, and Alkaiser are good DPS since they are focused on being a DPS with Tension IV. There are others that are considered good by people like Gustave, Katarina, and Ellen as they have Tension III and they also have some good utilities at hand.

Blue, Christmas Azami, and Barbara are not considered DPS, but they support your units with the random Confuse, Poison, and Stun accordingly.

Party Template? Nah
This is a Saga Game, its an open world concept and you are not locked to a certain character.

Saga 1 and 2 allows you to customize your party from the start and up to you what weapon or specialty you would like your team to have.
Romancing Saga 1, 3, Saga Frontier 1 - You choose a main character, and whoever you add to your party is up to you and the weapon choice you would like them to focus. Sure, you can make odd stuff like have Tatyana wield a Bow or have Ellen use Great Sword. Ultimately, its all based on what skills they spark for the weapon and how it synergize with your party.
Same goes for this game, pick and choose your unit and make them your primary. Stuck? Try check what you have, maybe there are some characters you might have overlooked. What works for 1 person might not work for the other person based on different play style. I have the outdated mind set of pure DPS and just now in GL that I am exploring around characters like Christmas Azami and Barbara as a viable party option.

Party composition usually differs on the number of support you would like to bring to tackle the round. My party could have just 1 healer, 4 DPS, but I chose DPS with some AOE and some Debuff / Inflict Status Ailment capability. I could choose 2 healers, 1 tank, and 2 DPS based on what the situation calls for. Its a case by case basis and playing around with all the characters available is the beauty of Saga Games. Read through characters and you can put the pieces together that makes a really synchronized party that nobody has thought of yet.

Later game location to farm weapons for your dudes

quote:

So you want to know where to farm for S Rank weapons? Well, I’ll show you all of the best places to farm them.

All of the spots in this video are Very Hard stages, so you must have them unlocked to farm for the weapons. For the first set of weapons, you can choose to farm them. They are not required to beat the story up until the 2nd set of weapons. You can reach very hard episode 4 with only A-rank weapons. I’d recommend farming for the 2nd set of weapons and going for + stats like AGI+, DEX+, and STR+.

The first spot is episode 1-1-4 which drops the 1st Sword. By this point in the story, you are still trying to complete the normal and hard story. The sword will help you clear the story. Farm this weapon for characters like Albert, Gerard and Julian.

Episode 1-2-1 drops the 1st Martial Arts weapon. Farm this weapon for characters like Alkaiser, Azami, Cat, and Terry.

The 1st Spear spot is in episode 1-2-3. This weapon is farmed for characters like Barbara, Charl, and Thomas.

The episode, 1-2-6 drops the 1st G. Sword. Gray, Gustave, Hector, and Katarina use this weapon.

The 1st Axe is farmed in episode 2-1-3. The axe is used by characters like Aisha, Awe, Ellen, and Sif.

Notable characters that use the (1st) club which can be farmed in episode 2-2-1 include Ginny and Sophia.

Episode 2-2-5 has the 1st S. Sword which can be farmed for characters such as Mikhail and Monika.

The 1st bow is obtainable in Episode 3-1-3. Bow characters include Claudia and Windie.

Episode 3-1-5 has 2 weapons the Fire Staff and the Wind Staff. Get the fire staff for Emerald and the wind staff for.

The Water and Earth Staff drops in episode 3-2-1.

Episode 3-2-3 has both the farmable Light and Dark Staff. Farm the Dark Staff for Rouge.

Now onto the 2nd set of weapons. These are the weapons you should be farming and going for plus stats.

The 2nd Sword is in episode 4-1-3. Farm for the plus stat STR.

Episode 4-1-5 drops the 2nd Martial Arts weapon. You want to farm for AGI+.

STR+ is recommended for the 2nd spear which is farmable in episode 4-2-2.

Episode 4-2-4 has the 2nd G. sword which requires the plus stat of STR.

The 2nd Axe is found in episode 5-1-3 and you want to be farming for STR+.

The plus stat of STR is a must for the 2nd Club, which is farmed in episode 5-2-1.

The 2nd S. Sword requires DEX+ which can be found in episode 5-2-4.

This is a link to a good spreadsheet with lots of info
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16FeXhcRAl7JFmsxnLySe85o-AoY_7N328HYRo5W3LBE/edit#gid=1329203769

Also save your expedition skip tickets till you get the final expedition since its the best use of tickets and you can get some dudes battle ready really quick that way.

Lastly Do not pull for dupes! you can slowly get the pieces you need from the training cave and or universal gold ones.

gently caress it there is a lot more poo poo to explain but that covers most of the weird poo poo.

The game is pretty light on anime titties but here are some Santa Titties for y'all.

Re: Training Dojo - Expand it with gems and put dudes in there ASAP! Its the only way to get gold shards for your SS dudes and level them up to 42.

Do not neglect the Training Dojo!

We don't have a dedicated Discord for this but we have set up a channel in the DFOO discord that is pretty active so if you don't wanna post a question there come in and say hi and we can figure this poo poo out together.

https://discord.gg/kgmDqCw

Edit fixed discord link

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm super into the game, as a long-time SaGa fan.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Nice! Game is fun, or will be more fun once I pull Rouge :geno:. Thanks for the extra info.

Title suggestion: "From: Romancing Saga. Subject: Re; Universe"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
OP looks good.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
hello I am desperately addicted to this game but fortunately have only spent $10 or so on it. hopefully I can keep it that way as long as possible

I hope the character/style explainer is useful for all of you! I'm happy to impart whatever wisdom I have over the game's various systems if any of you have questions. I am not terribly good at answering "is [style] good?" or "how do I beat [mission]?" type questions though. I know how the game works, not how to be good at it. Well, outside of "just grind a lot" anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SirBukkake posted:

Nice! Game is fun, or will be more fun once I pull Rouge :geno:. Thanks for the extra info.

Title suggestion: "From: Romancing Saga. Subject: Re; Universe"

I took advantage of the half stamina event and well...

I ended up loading bluestacks and making a macro to keep doing that stage over and over for two days straight.

I managed to go from rank 90 to 140 over those two days with very little interaction from me. The only thing I would do is change the party up every so often so some random dudes got XP.

The nice thing about this game is that it doesn’t freak out when your inventory is full so you can just keep autoing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh also two other things I forgot about! Where to get extra stamina potions.

You can get 4 extra a week from the ore exchange

So don’t forget to buy those every week and spend your ore on whatever other character you want (S Undine is the best choice if you haven’t pulled her).

The second set of stamina potions refreshes every month but it’s a little more convoluted on how you get them.

Just sell off a few poo poo A pieces for white crystals and get some stamina potions.

IGNORE THE TICKET it’s whale bait. You need 4 of them to make make a whole ticket and it’s probably never going to be worth it.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Honestly I've been prioritizing the gold pieces over stamina potions as far as white crystals go. Stamina really hasn't been a limiting factor for me very much in this game, and while dojo training is nice it's pretty slow.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
This game is surprisingly good and fun. I hope more games adapt the style system because it's really refreshing to be excited for pulling a lower rarity tier unit from the gacha or an event and knowing that you can actually benefit from them instead of them being a waste of effort because they're not super rare.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Got into this game about a week ago. Got a nice spread of characters on my early rolls with all versions of Gerard, Hector, Katrina and Rouge, and they (alongside Sophia) have been carrying me most of the way. Gerard has been a pretty amazing Counter Tank when putting him front and center for stat bonuses, and Hector and Katrina are practically self-sustaining. Rogue and Sophia need no explanation.

Though I will admit that I had no idea that Parry was a thing. Now I need to see if the Albert I've got has it, else start leveling up Bear.

I also invested some time in ranking up versions of Sif, Valdor, and Flurry for some physical Fire, Thunder and Ice attacks that have come in really handy for more than a few bosses. Looking to invest in Leonid now that I got his S version too.

I really do like the fact that Ranking isn't the end-all and be-all for characters and stats, vs team synergy and paying attention to weaknesses and resistances.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

Honestly I've been prioritizing the gold pieces over stamina potions as far as white crystals go. Stamina really hasn't been a limiting factor for me very much in this game, and while dojo training is nice it's pretty slow.

Yeah this is true too. I've got a stockpile of like 100+ potions at this point.

Tortolia posted:

This game is surprisingly good and fun. I hope more games adapt the style system because it's really refreshing to be excited for pulling a lower rarity tier unit from the gacha or an event and knowing that you can actually benefit from them instead of them being a waste of effort because they're not super rare.

Yeah I 100% agree with this. It actually encourages you to use your lower rarity dudes which is nice because they aren't actually gimped since they share the same stat pools.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I didn't include this in the OP since its kinda IMO more of a poop socking thing vs what most people are actually going to do.

quote:

This topic's very convoluted if you're beginning, after all.

Here's the JP Cap limit of every stat limit cap for each style of a character: https://gamerch.com/saga-reuniverse/entry/61942 .

Let's use Azami.

Here's the max base caps grindable:

Character/Style - STR - END - DEX - AGI - INT - WIL - LOV - CHA

SS Azami 89 89 90 96 90 88 88 90

A Azami 93 90 90 94 91 86 82 95

These are the current JP base stat caps you can grind using the character.

Here is the multiplier of STR for both SS and A Azami at level 50

SS Azami has a multiplier/base STR bonus of +69% +13 at level 50.

A Azami has a multiplier/base STR bonus of 47% + 7 at level 50.

So, here's what's going on:

A Azami has higher base STR caps to grind then SS Azami, so if you want to maximize damage (since Fists work STR and AGI both), then you need to get optimal STR. So you use A Azami to get 93 STR to "Azami the character".

SS Azami has the higher STR multiplier bonuses for her level 50 then A Azami, so you equip SS Azami after Azami has finished grinding her STR with her A-variant.

Your total STR in the end becomes:

SS Azami with 93 STR thanks to A Azami: (93 * (1+0.69)) + 13 = 170 STR

SS Azami with 89 STR: (89 * (1+0.69)) + 13 = 163 STR.

You lose 7 end result STR if you don't grind A Azami to get to the maximum possible STR cap with A Azami for Azami the character.

This is honestly the best way I can explain it. Other then that... uh... good luck. I got no other way to explain it.

The bolded part I'm not exactly sure about because AFAIK once you cap the STR on the SS version you can still swap to the A version and then cap it on them. I don't think you can perma gimp any of your dudes.

One other thing that was pointed out in Discord is that you'll cap your stats long before you cap your HP so if you just keep an eye on your stats and swap the styles around as they cap you'll cap everything anyway. The google sheet I linked at the end of the OP details the stat caps for all the characters so you can refer to that if you think you are close.

I'm not going to worry about min / maxing which one to work on first but someone might wanna :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a pretty good guide for what to shoot for written in a little more detail vs what is in the OP.

quote:

Want to know what stages you should be farming during the limited time half stamina event? Well, you have come to the right place.

Complete the story

Before we go over specific stages, I would highly recommend you go through all of the story stages. Completing the story will unlock better equipment, which will boost your stats. You will be able to grind for S-rank weapons, A-rank armour, A-rank gear and A-rank accessories. You will also unlock key features like expeditions and training.

Early Game

Now onto the stages, you should be farming. In the early game, there’s only one stage you should be farming and it’s Normal 1-2-12. 1-2-12 during the half stamina event only costs 2 stamina. It is the best spot to farm during the early game because you will be ranking up without entirely depleting your stamina bar. Also, SS Rouge is an insanely good farmable character because of his inherited skill “Shadow Chains” which paralyzes the enemy. If you have just started the game, I’d recommend using the best team you have currently to farm this stage quickly. For reroll options, go for Gustave, Azami, Blue and Cat. These characters will easily clear this stage. Farm this stage until you get SS Rouge or stop when your characters can no longer increase their stats by the stage. Look for sparks around the character. The fewer sparks mean the less likely they will level up. Once your characters are maxed out on this stage, go through the story and clear as much as you can!

Mid Game 1st Spot

For the mid-game, you can farm very hard 1-1-1 because it is the easiest very hard stage. SS Robin (Fake) is a nice bonus, but is not a must get unit. Run your best team on this stage, use normal play if you must. I’d suggest you use the Imperial Cross formation because you have a tank in the front to mitigate damage. The stage only costs 7 stamina, which is the least amount of stamina required for a very hard stage. Farm this stage until your characters have fewer sparks or until you can progress to the Very Hard 2-1-3.

Mid Game 2nd Spot

2-1-3 is mainly farmed for the gold and SS Awe. If you already have a good tank on your team, you should not worry about not getting Awe. Run your best team on this stage and I’d recommend using the Rising Phoenix formation because the character in the middle gets a boost in their END. Only farm this stage if you still have not reached Very Hard 4-1-5. Farm this stage until your characters have fewer sparks. The stage only costs 8 stamina, so you won’t have to worry about fully depleting your stamina bar.

End Game

Very Hard 4-1-5 is the quickest endgame stage. You can full power auto this stage. Also, SS Terry is a decent unit and when you get him once you will only get dupes going forward. Each SS Terry dropped gives us 40 character pieces, you can use these character pieces to exchange them for white crystals. 40 pieces equate to 4000 white crystals; 100 crystals per piece. White crystals can be exchanged for stamina pots. Use this exchange to never run out of stamina during this half stamina event.

Last Spot

Finally, once your characters can no longer level up in very hard 4-1-5. You can farm the hardest stage you can complete. For me, it’s 5-2-6, but for you, it may be some other stage. But, before doing this I’d recommend farming with all of your other units on 4-1-5, not only your main team. By farming other characters, you will have many characters to choose from and you’ll have a lot of exp when you need to unlock their style level. Aim for style level 42 to increase your mastery bonus. By increasing your mastery bonus, you will have universal percentage stats given to all of your units.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
As someone thats never played a SaGa game I found this initially very confusing, but Im really starting to get hooked on it.

I like the passive skill gain from doing dungeons and stuff, and while the style system was initially pretty awkward its grown on me and is a unique system.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Bear is the best that is all. I'm digging the game so far though the story has been kinda eh.

MarcusSA posted:

Later game location to farm weapons for your dudes

Note the difference between stat and stat+ is 1 point so it's probably not worth hard farming for the +.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hi posted:

As someone thats never played a SaGa game I found this initially very confusing, but Im really starting to get hooked on it.

I like the passive skill gain from doing dungeons and stuff, and while the style system was initially pretty awkward its grown on me and is a unique system.

The remakes of the SNES games were on sale recently.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LIMBO KING posted:

Bear is the best that is all. I'm digging the game so far though the story has been kinda eh.

Note the difference between stat and stat+ is 1 point so it's probably not worth hard farming for the +.

Yeah probably not. Its more of an end game thing I guess.

Also one other thing that the game does really well is that it doesn't overly penalize you for failing a run. You don't get all of the stamina back but you do get most of it back if you fail so don't be worried about trying!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The best place to farm stats is 4-1-5 which drops katars so it's probably best to wait until you get an agi+ one to max it out.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So far I love the game, not surprising since I've loved SaGa for a long time but still, but even so I'm hitting a pretty big wall.

I can do hilarious amounts of damage with my team, but surviving the waves I don't instakill is kinda rough. For example, it feels like RNG whether or not I survive rank 6 training cave, depending on how many techs the ogres decide to use, despite my pretty much stat maxed characters. I know my armor's definitely lacking, being only single evolved +5 B rank armor, but I kinda want to save up my resources until I get some nice S rank equips at the very least. Yet I can't make it past 4-2-1 Hard, and even the early Very Hard stages are doing a number on me.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So far I love the game, not surprising since I've loved SaGa for a long time but still, but even so I'm hitting a pretty big wall.

I can do hilarious amounts of damage with my team, but surviving the waves I don't instakill is kinda rough. For example, it feels like RNG whether or not I survive rank 6 training cave, depending on how many techs the ogres decide to use, despite my pretty much stat maxed characters. I know my armor's definitely lacking, being only single evolved +5 B rank armor, but I kinda want to save up my resources until I get some nice S rank equips at the very least. Yet I can't make it past 4-2-1 Hard, and even the early Very Hard stages are doing a number on me.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Are you using a different formation like Imperial cross? I've found that formations help immensely especially when you have a decent tank out front.

What does your main team look like?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Are you using a different formation like Imperial cross? I've found that formations help immensely especially when you have a decent tank out front.

What does your main team look like?

Primarily I'm using SS Alkaiser, SS Ellen, SS Katarina, SS Christmas Ginny, and SS Rouge. Kind of a personal weakness is that I tend to default to characters I know and like, and ignore most others.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Primarily I'm using SS Alkaiser, SS Ellen, SS Katarina, SS Christmas Ginny, and SS Rouge. Kind of a personal weakness is that I tend to default to characters I know and like, and ignore most others.

Yeah you are gonna wanna run a healer in there and change your formation up too. I don't have Alkaiser so I can't say anything about that character but having a healer on the team as you are progressing really helps.

If you don't want do that the alternative is to just find a stage and grind it with your main team till you can power your way through the content but even still RNG can totally gently caress you.

Edit: Also the christmas events have armor you can buy for your dudes.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 10, 2020

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

What Marcus said, you need a healer. Sophia is free and a beast as she has several styles available so theres lots of passive stats.. she also has an S style from the current winter event that has an inheritable low bp cost aoe ranged sun damage skill that causes darkness which is amaaaazing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
My understanding of Alkaiser is he is similar to Gustave in that he has some degree of self healing that can provide sustain but it isn't going to totally replace a healer in scenarios where healing is merited (it's selfish healing and isn't guaranteed).

Sophia is very strong, and if the current banner schedule keeps up with what they had in Japan we are about a month away from Valentine's White Rose, who is apparently a healer so good she still sees significant use in their current meta.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Never before have I ever thought that the day would come where I'd be saying 'god I wish I had Final Crusade' but here we are.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
God, I can't get over how good S-Undine is. If the enemies you're facing have even a small weakness to cold she tears them to shreds. And you can put healing light on her?!

I have SS-Blue, Rouge, and Emerald. S-Undine is every bit as good as any of them as a pure mage.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
A healer is definitely a necessity for prolonged battles, especially once you get into the tougher bosses and stuff like the Colosseum. Even if they're not the best healer, any heal skill can bring back a character from death, and a 1 HP character can still use their attack skills, after all.

S Undine is absolutely a great support and A Blue is also really useful with his AoE focused build.

It really pays to stop and look at people's skill sets and abilities, even if they aren't the SS version of the character you're using. Even if you stick with the higher rank version, there might be a skill or two worth Inheriting from the other ranks. See Rouge: Shadow Chains and Undine: Water of Life for abilities that elevate their higher rank versions from good units to great ones.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Yeah shadow chains was the first skill I reduced the BP on. A 2 BP paralyze with a high success rate is tough to beat. Wracking and Energy Drain being strong skills is one hell of a bonus.

If any of you haven't already, it is 100% worth grinding out SS-Rouge. Takes awhile, but he's just that good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SS Rouge is the only character I have 50/50 and no regrets blowing all that stamina on him.

The fact that he is free is just icing on the cake. He really is just that good.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Just started playing this game and have pretty much no idea what I'm doing. I do like gachas though, and this seems pretty good so far!

I blew all of my starting gems and got a fair number of SS characters, seems like. It looks like everyone gets SS Hector, but I also managed to pull Ellen, Ginny, Mikhail, Gerard, and Azami, which honestly seems like a pretty good haul? I kinda don't wanna reroll, rerolling is always kind of a pain in the rear end anyways. I would appreciate some insight on these characters if possible, though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn’t reroll.

This game seems to throw SS dudes at you and SS characters aren’t the end all be all anyway!

Which S or A characters did you get because some of them can help you a lot (S Undine A rouge A bear).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Fair enough. I figured I'd list the SS guys because I imagine I'll drown in A and S characters soon enough. And if there's a reason to reroll, it's probably based on the SS. At the very least I got Ginny, and SaGa Frontier 2 is my favorite!

As for the S and A Ranks...I don't really know which ones are good? I guess I'll just drop a screenshot here.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
As Marcus mentioned, you want to probably keep an eye out for S/A Undine, A Rouge and A Bear.

A Undine for Water of Life which S Undine can Inherit
A Rouge for Shadow Chains which SS Rouge can Inherit
A Bear for Parry

From the ones you mentioned one of the SS Gerards (the one with the green cape) is a solid Counter Tank, and I've been using him pretty consistently. Can't speak for Ellen, Ginny or the rest though.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I 100% agree with this. It actually encourages you to use your lower rarity dudes which is nice because they aren't actually gimped since they share the same stat pools.

I really like that design choice. In fact there are several design choices that makes me wonder if the team went "what are the problems with gatchas and how do we do better?"

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
I realized in the post of mine in the OP I said "Gilbert" when I meant "Gerard" because I am terrible at names :eng99:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Fair enough. I figured I'd list the SS guys because I imagine I'll drown in A and S characters soon enough. And if there's a reason to reroll, it's probably based on the SS. At the very least I got Ginny, and SaGa Frontier 2 is my favorite!

As for the S and A Ranks...I don't really know which ones are good? I guess I'll just drop a screenshot here.

Ok so nothing really stands out here but again like you said soon enough you’ll be drowning in dudes. I really don’t think rerolling in this game is a needed thing with the rates they throw things at you.

Only thing I’d say right now is try and get the Christmas flurry from the event before it finishes in two days.

Also you’ll be getting tickets and stuff from the launch quests so just keep using them.

You’ll also get tickets from the spiral tower so use them too!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've been playing and enjoying this.

It seems like the team building in this game is way more flexible and interesting than most gachas, and it's pretty chill to just make numbers go up by using your guys.

Is there any common wisdom about which of the event/challenge content I should focus on building a team for after clearing out the christmas events? I've cleared up to Subier 11, Spiral Corridor 26 and Forest of Mystery 7.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Rerolled into an Xmas Monika, SS Albert and SS Cat which (after doing a bunch of research) seems like as good as a start as can be hoped for. Never had much to do with Saga games but the art is dope, it has some buzz and boy am I a sucker for gacha

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Curiously the gatcha aspect really isn't the appeal for me in this one. It is the team building and development of characters. Square Enix really did a good job on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzyal
Aug 4, 2013

Scoss posted:

I've been playing and enjoying this.

It seems like the team building in this game is way more flexible and interesting than most gachas, and it's pretty chill to just make numbers go up by using your guys.

Is there any common wisdom about which of the event/challenge content I should focus on building a team for after clearing out the christmas events? I've cleared up to Subier 11, Spiral Corridor 26 and Forest of Mystery 7.

You should think of raising Leonid and xmas azami if you have them to make later subier stages easier with poison as well as getting enough str jammers to make pyrohydra farming easier. The next big thing is a mostly female team for the seven heroes event which has a boss that charms males.