Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Maleketh
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

What is Zafir?

Zafir is a tabletop roleplaying game designed by Randy Knapp, funded on Kickstarter in 2019, and released in 2020. It features a heavy emphasis on tactical combat, similar to 4th Edition D&D, but with a faster, more streamlined system. It emphasizes use of cover, flanking, high ground, and smart use of limited resources (like grenades and special abilities). (It also features proper roleplaying, but the combat is definitely the main attraction.) It also features a setting reminiscient of Persian and Zoroastrian culture, and which mixes magic with more modern and futuristic technology, such as guns, explosives, and cybernetics.

Interested players can get the game on DriveThruRPG, but it won't be required to play. Between relatively simple mechanics and handy cheat-sheets, I can teach and run for people without the it.

What's this campaign going to be about?

As the name suggests, you're going to take on the roles of mercenaries, undertaking missions for whatever your employers are willing to pay. With everything going on in the real world today, I want to keep the game from getting too serious and depressing, so I'm aiming for something of an action-movie feel. I don't intend to force you to make hard moral choices or get your hands too dirty, though I will try to write up a story that's at least somewhat interesting. I'm going to begin by running the intro adventure from the rulebook, to ease everyone (myself included) into the game.

When and how will the game be run?

I find that play-by-post games tend to drag a bit, especially during combat, so I'm planning to run live sessions on Roll20, with voice chat via Discord. My current plan is to play on Sunday evenings at 7 or 8 pm U.S. Eastern time, but depending on the availability of my players I could conceivably change that. I'd like to get 3-5 players, as that's what the game is designed around. If you're interested, a short post saying as much is good enough, though if you would need or prefer to play at a different time than what I've noted above, including that information would be a good idea.

You can also join the Discord server.

Maleketh fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

That description definitely caught my interest; absolutely going to check this out and put something together for it!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I am tentatively interested.

e:oh wait, that would be at 1 am for me. Nevermind.

Maleketh
Jun 12, 2008

Punting posted:

That description definitely caught my interest; absolutely going to check this out and put something together for it!

You don't really need to "put something together." I'm not expecting everyone who's interested to grab the rules, which would make writing a pitch pretty tough. Assuming I can get enough players, the first session is going to be party discussion and character creation.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Fair enough, but I always make it a point to make myself familiar with any system I want to play and have some idea what I'm interested in, even if I'm not making a character till the session starts.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

This looks like an interesting system! I'll have to take a closer look at the preview rules to be sure, but feel free to pencil me in if you'd like.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

LMK! Gold#3964 on Disc.

Maleketh
Jun 12, 2008

That's three people who've shown interest, which is enough to run. Anyone interested is now free to drop into the Discord server.

Maleketh
Jun 12, 2008

We now have five players, so I don't have room for more. Anyone else who might be interested is still welcome to drop in - if someone drops I'll be happy to bring in someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleketh
Jun 12, 2008

We had a player drop, so we have room for one additional player. We've completed only one session, so you can still get in on essentially the ground floor.