Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo Shy Guys Finish Last is absolute garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Holy poo poo Shy Guys Finish Last is absolute garbage.

I went from delighted to full of hatred in record time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snifit or Whiffit was better

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
That mini-game takes way too long. It really should have been cut down or something.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If it had just been jeopardy style choose a category, SGFL would have been much better.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
At least it's completely isolated to that one out-of-nowhere segment instead of being like the cat in Luigi's Mansion 3.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I have bad news about the super sudden death round once you've finished a perfect game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Violen posted:

I have bad news about the super sudden death round once you've finished a perfect game

What exactly? I already did it, it was an easy question

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Finished the game yesterday. I have some Cold Takes and some Hot Takes.

First, the Cold Takes:

- This Game Is Good, Actually. The level design is good, the writing is funny, the music is memorable, and the gameplay (both combat and collectibles) is satisfying.

- I'm not at all a puzzle-game person but I think the puzzles in this game were of a reasonable difficulty and had enough safety nets not to feel frustrating. The exceptions were cases where getting the puzzle wrong meant instant death or a boss self-healing or whatever. Incidentally, I didn't really like the Olly fight because it had multiple gameplay elements I dislike. I do want to shout-out the Little Cutout Soldiers thing of folding-up or multiplying depending on how you rotated them; I thought that was the niftiest regular battle mechanic. Generally, I thought the boss battles were the most fun.

- Bobby is the best and I came back to Sweetpaper Valley afterward a few times to check on Olivia's reaction and, right before the end, to pay my respects before killing Olly. REVENGE, MOTHERFUCKER

And now the Hot Takes:

- This is the second-best Mario RPG after the original Paper Mario, and I've replayed a lot of them in the past couple of years so this isn't just nostalgia talking. I haven't played Color Splash or Dream Team so I can't speak to those, but here are my rankings for the others:

Paper Mario
Origami King
Thousand-Year Door
Super Mario RPG
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Superstar Saga
Partners in Time
Super Paper Mario (and I wrote a GameFAQs walkthrough for this when it came out! lol)
Bowser's Inside Story
Dream Team
Paper Jam
Sticker Star

I included Mario + Rabbids to be a dick. :colbert: I would say that the only games on the above list that I just did not enjoy were Paper Jam and Sticker Star but the games I love start at Kingdom Battle and go up from there.

- Shogun Studios was the high point of the game and it's not close. I love Wind Waker but I felt that streamer was a little aimless, I thought the desert area had cool visuals/music but was otherwise just fine, and Shangri-Spa was a cool idea but on level with the first tutorial streamer for me as enjoyable but not incredible.

- The Paper Macho battles were lame after the first one. I've seen some people say to just make all the battles real-time but I feel like that would have been way worse than what we got. I didn't mind them in this game that much because they were infrequent and the visual design was cool I suppose, but I never bothered to do the Scuffle Island stuff because I didn't find that gameplay fun for more than a couple minutes at a time.

- Bobby is the only great companion. Kamek/Bowser Jr. are fun but it's an old and predictable dynamic. Captain T. Ode has a good design and a couple of good lines but I felt like he didn't do anything. Professor Toad was bland as gently caress. I feel like the good-natured lonely child amnesiac Bobby got all the dev team's love, and it paid off, but the two toad companions especially feel like total afterthoughts. I do think that they did right by Bobby with a lot of little touches throughout the game and him being mentioned frequently at the end; I like the take another goon had that Bobby's life heavily influenced Olivia's mindset and approach at the end of the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Captain T. Ode is that Tuxedo Mask "My work here is done" meme personified

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, Professor Toad reminds me of the 64 and TTYD style partners, and I unfortunately don't mean that in the good way. While having a partner ability was fun, he's basically just a "functional character" in moving things along plotwise. He does his job, but nothing more than that a lot of the time. Especially when he comes after Bobby, who set a much higher bar for being a traveling companion. Kamek and Bowser Jr. had a fun dynamic with Mario though. Captain T. Ode being a criminal as his incidental backstory was hilarious though.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

surf rock posted:

The Paper Macho battles were lame after the first one. I've seen some people say to just make all the battles real-time but I feel like that would have been way worse than what we got.

That sounds like a good idea actually, especially if you could use attack items

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I just finished the game but still have to give it a negative review overall, because during Shy Guys Finish Last, the Shy Guy during the race did not finish in last.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
SGFL is what stopped me from even attempting 100%. I had planned on doing it and then checked the requirements and noped out.
I ended up 100% everything up to the 4 hard trophies: SHFL, rapids, ninja game, and one other.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I actually really enjoyed SGFL and the whole game overall. Just wanted to make a dumb joke about how it didn't keep to its literal name.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I wasn't expecting the Purple Streamer chapter to turn into a parody of THE ENTIRE FIRST ARC of Wind Waker :stonklol:. I'm now up to Shangri-Spa, progress-wise.

The Tape Dispenser boss fight also sucked mechanically, because it just railroaded you through the steps to beat it turn-by-turn. It was pretty much an interactive cutscene.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I thought Shy Guys Finish Last was alright. What I really, really hated was that snifit expression game. It's a funny idea at first, but getting a game over on it is such a huge gently caress you.

I finished the game last night and I thought it was solidly decent for most of it although it did have some pretty good highlights. Bobby was really great, but Captain T.Ode is getting so close to having a unique character that really connects you to this universe but then they pretty much just forget about him. Otherwise, you're just Mario running through an eclectic mix of different worlds that have no connection.

The game felt incredibly short and I feel like there's zero replay value, since combat is something I mostly tried to avoid. Overall I didn't like the combat and found it annoying. I'm not a fan of making the player feel stupid for not understanding how to solve something, and avoiding combat just reinforces that pattern.

If I ever want to feel nostalgic about OK I think I'd prefer to look up videos on youtube rather than play the game again to re-experience it, with the exception of maybe Shangri-spa. Whereas games like Super Mario RPG or older Paper Mario games are things I want to actually experience again.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm not a fan of making the player feel stupid for not understanding how to solve something

yeah it's totally the game's fault

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I thought Shy Guys Finish Last was alright. What I really, really hated was that snifit expression game. It's a funny idea at first, but getting a game over on it is such a huge gently caress you.

The second time around the Snifit gives away what his expression is - he snickers at you in the textbox before it. It's still a really mean gotcha though. Shy Guys Finish Last was just completely unfun for me and I couldn't nope out of their fast enough when they offered the Sudden-Death round. Just took the win and moved riiiight on.

I finished the game too and while I liked most of it the ending was just straight terrible. Nintendo; Pick a fight or puzzle, not both. Nobody likes being interrupted trying to do something that requires focus with "THINK FAST!!" QTE's. Olivia's wish is also just completely stupid; There's literally zero reason she had to die, she just arbitrarily wishes herself out of existence because... bittersweet ending? :shrug:

Also the air battle sequence is cool in concept, but completely tainted by the Bob-omb-firing cannon minigame after Bobby's big sacrifice and knowing you're murdering his buddies by the dozen without the game so much as commenting on it :stare:.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the air battle sequence is cool in concept, but completely tainted by the Bob-omb-firing cannon minigame after Bobby's big sacrifice and knowing you're murdering his buddies by the dozen without the game so much as commenting on it :stare:.

That was entirely the point. You think they had the bob-omb squad show up five minutes before that by coincidence?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shy Guys Finish Last was just completely unfun for me and I couldn't nope out of their fast enough when they offered the Sudden-Death round. Just took the win and moved riiiight on.

Wait, that's optional??? I thought if you turn down sudden death you get a game over.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the host says you get a game over if you lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That's weird, I must have misread a dialogue box.