Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bofast posted:

How would throwing out RPG mechanics get it closer to Zelda? Zelda has basically always been an (action) RPG series, just with equipment upgrades over skill unlocks and stat increases mostly being about health.

The term RPG isn't all that exact, really -- I'd call Zelda an action RPG too, but here we're talking about turn-based battles and level-ups and building a character. Maybe JRPG is a better descriptor? Honestly, I don't care if they ever bring back those mechanics, though, I just wish they'd be less shallow about it whichever way they go. I am only just past the red streamer, but I can already see how few accessories there are, and the weapons are only temporary, and the HP UPs seem to be entirely story-limited... It's fine if they don't want to do stats and levels anymore, but then give me big chunky weapon upgrades that cost a lot of gold, or lots of different accessories to change up battles, and an actual reward for doing random battles.

I am not particularly loving the battle system either -- it's not awful, but it's not a ton of fun either, and my brain doesn't seem very good at figuring out what a mess of enemies is supposed to look like so I'm constantly feeling like I've "failed" when I just can't figure out the right way to line everything up. I don't actually mind that they went with a puzzling system for battles, I'm just not crazy about the particular type of puzzle they chose.

Having wrote all that I'm surprised I'm enjoying the game so much, I actually can't wait to play it once I finish work. Everything else is really polished and the characters are fun and the worlds are gorgeous and I like all the out-of-combat gameplay, so I guess having a few meh puzzles to break all that up isn't the worst thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Good news for you, the next area has very minimal standard encounters.

I don't get the complaint though, the simple puzzle encounters are over in 30 seconds, and the complex ones are fun to solve for me.

This kind of slidey block puzzle is just hit-or-miss with people for whatever reason. Personally, it feels like my brain just isn't good at thinking through these kinds of patterns, and it feels kinda lovely when you can't solve it. I have felt myself getting a little better at it over time, but it just doesn't feel like a lot of fun even when one of them finally clicks and I get the right solution. I've been telling myself to just play it more like a regular battle system -- if I get the pattern right and one-shot it, fine, if not I'll just take a couple extra turns and buy more mushrooms and fire flowers if necessary.

e: also, you know what's some bullshit? When it clicks for you and you nail the solution for what looked like a gnarled mess of enemies, and then the stupid blue crabs don't die because you only got a Great and not an Excellent Timed Hit.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 21, 2020

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I mean, I think the game might be a bit better if they could have more unique designs, but honestly i do not care, it doesn't hold origami king back at all.

What is the deal with this? They're not allowed to have a Bob-omb with a mustache?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Augus posted:

This is something that irritated me in Color Splash too. It’s a bit better here since there are at least damage numbers when you do an attack, but it still feels like a lot of guesswork to figure out what it will take to kill an enemy. Certain enemies seemingly just refuse to die no matter what I throw at them. It’s also hard to get a sense for how much damage each item does because the numbers are bigger than they were in the old games and there are a bunch of different variables. You have the base damage, plus a boost based on Mario’s current “level” (based on hitting certain HP thresholds), plus multiples levels of success from Action Commands (Nice, Great, or Excellent) that add different amounts of damage, then a 1.5x multiplier for solving a tile puzzle. And on top of all that you also can’t see the HP of the enemies you’re attacking.

I still don’t understand how exactly this system is supposed to be more casual friendly than the simple RPG gameplay from the first two games that mostly used clear, single-digit numbers. It makes zero sense to me. I’ve been playing video games for twenty-odd years and even I often find the standard encounters in this game to be confusing and frustrating.

From the point of view of someone who isn't really crazy about the battle system, some of the fuzziness you're talking about here is what makes the battles tolerable for me. It feels like it should be a more black-and-white puzzle game -- solve the puzzle and win the battle, don't solve the puzzle and lose the battle -- but if it was, I would have gotten sick of it before the second streamer.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

SPM gets a lot of points from me for having playable peach, and tons of silly little peach lines if you go into cutscenes as her

If only you didn't have to change to Mario every minute to flip. If someone made a hack of spm where every character can flip i would replay the game right now.

I remember being amused with SPM for a while but giving up at some point not more than halfway through when I couldn't remember how to get where I was going. I feel like they almost owe you a decent map screen if they're going to have you backtracking and running around this weird world with all these tiny little paths. It's one thing when you're playing straight through, but I think I put the game down for a week or so and when I came back I was completely lost. (I actually feel like that's a bit of a negative for Origami King too, although you don't have to do anywhere near as much backtracking.)

Is there a legit way to play TTYD if my Gamecube has been lost to time?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Morbi posted:

I don't know if it's just because I'm a freak who constantly jumps into spatial puzzle games

It is exactly because of this.

Look, man, there is a certain percentage of people who just do not find the slidey block puzzling thing fun in the slightest. My brain doesn't seem to get the patterns as easily as other people do, and I can spend the entire timer+ looking at one of the more complicated ones and never figure out a solution. And even when I do, it doesn't feel satisfying to solve, I don't feel like I'm getting better at seeing the pattern, and I'm just vaguely relieved the battle will be over in one turn instead of two or three. I get that some of you really like puzzle games and enjoy figuring out these slidey rings, but it's just not a universal feeling. Even if the battle system was deeper with more items and abilities, I STILL wouldn't be a fan because figuring out this kind of puzzle feels more like homework than gaming.

I feel like I have to keep reiterating that I love basically every other part of the game (including the boss battles -- for some reason figuring out a good path doesn't seem as frustrating as figuring out the enemy patterns) but you just have to accept that the overworld battle puzzling is going to be very hit-and-miss for different people.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

loquacius posted:

This is a good game and I like it a lot but was anybody else completely blindsided by the dark tone it took on Bob-ombs which is not shared by any other game in the series?

Like, after Paper Mario 1 and TTYD had Bombette and Bobbery exploding willy-nilly because you wanted to get a Super Shroom on the other side of a wall or whatever, this one had me spend a chapter and a half wondering why Bob-omb wasn't doing any explosions before suddenly learning they actually kill him and now I have a sub-objective to cheer up the mascot sidekick character because a party member's shocking suicide has left her too depressed to continue the quest. Do kids play this game?

It's okay, turns out Bobby was under the rubble all along, and when the moles bring all the rubble into the cave he shows up again. He's just fine and you can speak to him and everything, he just wants to stay in the cave because he's too tired to keep adventuring with you.

(don't tell me otherwise or you're getting ignored)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Am I supposed to have found one of the numbered pipes back to Toad Town by the time I get to (green streamer)the jungle area? The enemies there are kicking my rear end and I'm pretty sure I missed an HP Up somewhere since some of them are surviving even when I solve the puzzle unless I get an Excellent hit with a Flashy weapon. I think the only way back is to go to the start of the spa area, down the light pillar, then back on the boat and off to Toad Town, and then driving the boat all the way back when I'm done, which doesn't seem ideal.

(As a perfect example of why these puzzle battles are hit-and-miss with people, most of the time my experience here has been spending 50+ seconds being baffled while staring at the rings, then hurriedly shoving them into a failed solution that at least lets me hit a full group, or even spending 200-300 coins, letting the Toads do the first slide for me, and then STILL not being able to solve it half the time. Even with my new buddy Kamek kicking rear end, I'm running out of good weapons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Finished it last night. Loved it. I can see why people are a little disappointed at the ending, I didn't expect Olivia wouldn't make it, that was a really sad beat for such a light-hearted game. I wish they'd done a little more to acknowledge her in the ending cutscenes, too, I really liked her character! Fun and naive without being too silly. I thought the actual ending sequence was pretty good though, it was serious without being too creepy, and brought all the different gameplay types together for the final boss.

As much as I enjoyed myself I can't give the game more than an 8.5, though, and it all comes back to the battle system. Everything else in this game was absolutely fantastic. The graphics are gorgeous, and the writing is amazing -- every single character has this fun sense of humor about them, and the plot takes you through such an interesting variety of locations. The world is just perfectly realized -- everyone you meet, everything you do has this cool sense of whimsy and magic about it, and the fact that everything is made of paper is brilliantly incorporated into all the things you see and do. But the fact that I just can't stand doing these horrible slidey block puzzles came close to killing it for me more than once. It's a shame, too, because they put a lot of effort into it and dreamed up a ton of different battle modes using the same slidey block mechanics... but I hate them all to varying degrees. It felt a lot like having an excellent meal where one of the ingredients is dirt, and you've just gotta eat the dirt in order to enjoy the rest of it.

The barebones RPG stuff was also a disappointment. I don't mind not leveling up, but there was basically no progression at all besides vague attack power bonuses once you'd found a few HP Ups, and the items were similarly half-baked -- I didn't care about finding new weapons because they would break, and I was really disappointed to find out the Accessories you find later in the game were just stronger versions of the ones you already had. They couldn't have done anything more interesting with them? There are a handful of swappable ones, I know, but none of them really affect gameplay very much, and it feels like their main function was to make me pay full price for items because I forgot to put the discount card accessory on when I go shopping. If they'd gone with a typical RPG battle system, which would necessitate going a lot deeper on weapons and accessories and progression elements, I think I would have given it a perfect 10.