Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I keep finding contradictory information about this.

To get the bonus ending, do I need to:

A.) 100% the stuff on the map menu screen (toads, holes, treasures, ? blocks)

B.) 100% absolutely everything (everything in A plus trophies and museum)

I've nearly done A so I'm willing to close that out, but if it turns out to be B, fuuuuuuuuuck that, I'm gonna watch it online instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Finished the game yesterday. I have some Cold Takes and some Hot Takes.

First, the Cold Takes:

- This Game Is Good, Actually. The level design is good, the writing is funny, the music is memorable, and the gameplay (both combat and collectibles) is satisfying.

- I'm not at all a puzzle-game person but I think the puzzles in this game were of a reasonable difficulty and had enough safety nets not to feel frustrating. The exceptions were cases where getting the puzzle wrong meant instant death or a boss self-healing or whatever. Incidentally, I didn't really like the Olly fight because it had multiple gameplay elements I dislike. I do want to shout-out the Little Cutout Soldiers thing of folding-up or multiplying depending on how you rotated them; I thought that was the niftiest regular battle mechanic. Generally, I thought the boss battles were the most fun.

- Bobby is the best and I came back to Sweetpaper Valley afterward a few times to check on Olivia's reaction and, right before the end, to pay my respects before killing Olly. REVENGE, MOTHERFUCKER

And now the Hot Takes:

- This is the second-best Mario RPG after the original Paper Mario, and I've replayed a lot of them in the past couple of years so this isn't just nostalgia talking. I haven't played Color Splash or Dream Team so I can't speak to those, but here are my rankings for the others:

Paper Mario
Origami King
Thousand-Year Door
Super Mario RPG
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Superstar Saga
Partners in Time
Super Paper Mario (and I wrote a GameFAQs walkthrough for this when it came out! lol)
Bowser's Inside Story
Dream Team
Paper Jam
Sticker Star

I included Mario + Rabbids to be a dick. :colbert: I would say that the only games on the above list that I just did not enjoy were Paper Jam and Sticker Star but the games I love start at Kingdom Battle and go up from there.

- Shogun Studios was the high point of the game and it's not close. I love Wind Waker but I felt that streamer was a little aimless, I thought the desert area had cool visuals/music but was otherwise just fine, and Shangri-Spa was a cool idea but on level with the first tutorial streamer for me as enjoyable but not incredible.

- The Paper Macho battles were lame after the first one. I've seen some people say to just make all the battles real-time but I feel like that would have been way worse than what we got. I didn't mind them in this game that much because they were infrequent and the visual design was cool I suppose, but I never bothered to do the Scuffle Island stuff because I didn't find that gameplay fun for more than a couple minutes at a time.

- Bobby is the only great companion. Kamek/Bowser Jr. are fun but it's an old and predictable dynamic. Captain T. Ode has a good design and a couple of good lines but I felt like he didn't do anything. Professor Toad was bland as gently caress. I feel like the good-natured lonely child amnesiac Bobby got all the dev team's love, and it paid off, but the two toad companions especially feel like total afterthoughts. I do think that they did right by Bobby with a lot of little touches throughout the game and him being mentioned frequently at the end; I like the take another goon had that Bobby's life heavily influenced Olivia's mindset and approach at the end of the game.