Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did you play color splash and like it? Congrats you're good this game is for you.

Did you play color splash and dislike it? That's fine, definitely don't get this one as the small things it does differently almost certainly aren't going to change your mind.

The real questionmark is people who didn't play color splash, of which there are probably a lot because of the Wii U. To them I say just be cautious and do your research before purchasing. It's not gonna be TTYD style, but imo they learned the most important lessons from how bad Sticker Star was already so this one looks to be at least as good as Color Splash if not better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd agree except I can't blame people for not playing anything that is still Wii U exclusive. Even though it was a console that in my opinion hat a very nice collection of games that made it very worth owning, it was still a failed console that not as many people bought. So it's just an unavoidable reality that lots of people returning to the Switch will not have played a Paper Mario since sticker star and just have to take our word for it that color splash was better.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know. But if my experience in the rematch is any indication, its tells are sometimes lies.

Its tells are completely meaningless which is very frustrating when refighting it.

I just finished getting 100% in the game, the Perfect Game is brutal but I did it in a few tries once I learned to calm down and do the ring scramble properly.

I rank this game about even with Color Splash. Lots of great stuff going for it and really funny throughout. I would get a bit bored of battles as each area went on, but at least they were pretty quick. Final boss was a bit disappointing but most of the other ones were great.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 28, 2020

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

100% complete! somewhat surprisingly, the worst trophy of the lot is the fishing one. those rare fish have a spawn rate that's so low, i got like 30 minutes into a youtube video i put on before i got both of them and the one treasure i was missing. so you basically have to pass the time some other way while waiting but simultaneously have to pay enough attention to, you know, actually catch the drat things when they show up. awful design.

otherwise super enjoyable. even getting shy guys finish last perfect was kinda fun when i knew what i was doing. it is also infuriatingly long if you need to restart towards the end though.

Did you just keep fishing or did you back in and out to reset the spawns? The latter strategy is what I did and it took me about 5 minutes, but I may have gotten insanely lucky.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I actually literally never used a tail come to think of it

I did use the others a fair amount

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I used shiny flowers to kill the sumo bros boss in the refight because I got frustrated trying to kill the little one holding the magic circle lol

They worked great

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What do you get for the refights by the way? I haven't done them yet but the museum doesn't have a trophy for them at the least

You get the last Toad Town collectible

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Augus posted:

the average random encounter in origami king is at least twice as long as the average random encounter in the first two paper mario games

That's definitely not true

Don't disagree about them feeling more repetitive, but they are so, so short

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can also always just throw the toads a few coins if you get a tricky one at a point where you're tired of battling

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I don't know if I missed a tutorial message or something, but I just started the game like...yesterday, and have no idea why some of the enemies have little pissed thought bubbles.

They're angry and do more damage. The real value though is that it can help you solve the puzzles since angry ones are usually gonna be in the same group.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Am I supposed to have found one of the numbered pipes back to Toad Town by the time I get to (green streamer)the jungle area? The enemies there are kicking my rear end and I'm pretty sure I missed an HP Up somewhere since some of them are surviving even when I solve the puzzle unless I get an Excellent hit with a Flashy weapon. I think the only way back is to go to the start of the spa area, down the light pillar, then back on the boat and off to Toad Town, and then driving the boat all the way back when I'm done, which doesn't seem ideal.

(As a perfect example of why these puzzle battles are hit-and-miss with people, most of the time my experience here has been spending 50+ seconds being baffled while staring at the rings, then hurriedly shoving them into a failed solution that at least lets me hit a full group, or even spending 200-300 coins, letting the Toads do the first slide for me, and then STILL not being able to solve it half the time. Even with my new buddy Kamek kicking rear end, I'm running out of good weapons.)

There are snifits selling all the legendary weapons right in the spa's main area so you don't even need to go back to Toad Town to restock

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Can someone help me with how to select useful items? I'm early in the game and need to unshrivel the seed, but I can only access a blank items menu and have no idea how to toggle to the useful items that the seed is listed as.

There is never a time where you need to select them. It always brings it up contextually when you interact with where it needs to be used.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did it but youtubed the ending anyway cause I didn't feel like fighting the final boss again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snifit or Whiffit was better