Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The worst thing they did in Paper Mario was abandon badges. I can imagine how wild they could've gotten if they carried into newer games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

So it's kind of a "world" instead of a bunch of disconnected places on a map a la color splash? Weirdly that was the thing that turned me away the most.

Felt like they wanted to stick a map in everything after Galaxy 2

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Rock My Socks! posted:

One of the early reviews (Polygon) described the combat as “rediculously punishing”. Are ya’ll finding that to be the case?

I did Game Over, actually from falling in a bottomless pit

You are tasked with completing the puzzle round perfectly. But if you fail, you get no attack boost, and combined with an ill-timed action command, all the enemies could survive. And if they're angry spinys, you could lose half your health

But when you Game Over, you just get sent back to your last save, which is either a block or back to the entrance of an area. I believe the game is going more for an action/puzzle thing, and they don't want battles to wage on for more than 2 or 3 turns (and if you complete the puzzles correctly, it should be one turn)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I kind of touched on this but it's in a weird place right now where you get some puzzles and you feel clever, but every here or there it just *vomits* enemies at seemingly random and with absolutely no guidance Good loving Luck.

I ask Olivia for a hint, it pauses the whole puzzle 🐱‍💻

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Rock My Socks! posted:

Can you pause during a battle?

Asking for a hint essentially achieves this, you can also go Home

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's like the best looking game on the N64. Probably has the most assets

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They axed all the cool Yoshi's Island characters, it was an absolute bloodbath

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bofast posted:

How would throwing out RPG mechanics get it closer to Zelda? Zelda has basically always been an (action) RPG series, just with equipment upgrades over skill unlocks and stat increases mostly being about health.

The turn-based mechanics

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Nintendo will never re-release TTYD, or go back to that style of overworld/NPC designs

TTYD already broke the fanbase irrevocably. They just cannot risk newer generations being seduced by the possibility of character designs diverging from Nintendo standard, or the ability to have a goomba talk smack about a random NPC's love life

I have a copy, but my Gamecube's been broken forever. Maybe I should sell, too - emulator's the way to go anyway

I wouldn't be so sure. Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story were remastered, and this was after Color Splash and Paper Jam

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Augus posted:

it's nowhere near as big a deal in this as it was in the last two games but it's still something that's just really baffling to me and feels like one of those things where it's motivated entirely by insane marketing mumbo-jumbo. Like how Disney has a staunch rule against something like Disney Infinity or Kingdom Hearts letting Hercules go to the Aladdin world.

Right, like, Mushroom, Flower, Star—just core mario poo poo cobbled together into a game, as if just to strengthen the brand, rather than to pack as many cool things into an RPGish world as possible

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Obviously, you're gonna stick with generic designs if you scatter hundreds of toads in the landscape as hidden collectibles. But beyond that, it just straight up hurts the game if it denies character to most NPCs, and even those who go further rarely have actual names. Even early in Sticker Star, it feels like some iron-clad restrictions are imposed on them, and the developers try to give their forced-to-be-generic NPCs as much character as they can: look at that! This toad has a bend in their paper! This one is a little creased! Please free us

I can see why Nintendo would impose such restrictions in general, but it genuinely hurts the Paper Mario series, and it's absolutely baffling why you'd do that to a series with Tattle

Toadette is like the Smurfette of Toads now because they otherwise want you to disregard the notion of a grandma Toad, or like... a waitress Toad—they just don't want to deal with it, they think it's off-brand... whatever

It's probably redtape city to get new characters through the pipeline. But they've also tried for continuity between these games. Kamek's got his own lil theme song

I think in the eyes of Nintendo, Paper Mario is about looking and sounding awesome. I always remember PM64 as the best looking N64 game. Color Splash was the best looking Wii U game. They're just rollin' with it

They should just remaster the originals at this point, that would be cashmoney

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It was mostly just a cute response in an interview—they scrubbed the whole universe of gender aside from humans, it's basically meaningless. They just don't want Koopa Troopas marrying each other n poo poo. These are monsters these are humans, das all you need to know

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Morbi posted:

To be honest, the existence of Kammy Koopa when Kamek was already a semi-established character with the exact same position and personality always struck me as kind of weird and redundant.

I disagree, that she was an old lady was specifically what made her funny and unique—she was this geriatric witch that acted as foil for the King. They never even really play up the fact that Kamek is old

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yeah, and they used Magikoopas a lot more as generic enemies back then

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Seeing people talk about TTYD being $100-$200 makes me really happy I snagged mine at Comic-con for $50 on a whim

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If you like puzzle games

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I do enjoy puzzle games but I also feel most (good) JRPG combat systems are puzzle games where the goal is to figure out exactly how to deal the most damage in a single turn so the difference isn't very significant to me. Figuring out how to avoid enemies getting counterattacks has increasingly been the goal of most JRPG combat for a good while now. Paper Mario is a simplified kid version of the idea but that has been true of pretty much every PM game where they make things as basic as possible so they can be all-ages accessible.

I think people who like Mario RPGs prefer an Action Commands as the primary barrier of entry—that was the main differential between it and other games with turn-based combat. TTYD enhanced this with stylish flair moves that you could use to charge a magic meter. M&L had you reacting to clues to which brother the enemy would attack. It was understood, it was comfy to most fans cuz they've played Mario and they know how to Jump

I'm okay with the puzzle, there is no timer, you just pause for hint and work the puzzle out in your head. It's fair and serviceable. But they stripped the combat down to jump, hammer. Flower. There's no stylish moves, or an ally with a moveset that you have control over. And the enemy attack is gonna gently caress you up either way. So I guess you could say the battle system is Just OK, or at least needlessly divisive

Spellman
May 31, 2011

OK's attack system is as if you only have Multi-Bounce and Quake Hammer equipped. And Mario forgot his standard moves

Spellman
May 31, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The shiny hurl hammer is great. One less damage than legendary iron boots but also good through enemies carrying a shield over their head.

I'm not that far but if this is the case, that's pretty welcome, I'm only starting Chapter 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

surf rock posted:

The Paper Macho battles were lame after the first one. I've seen some people say to just make all the battles real-time but I feel like that would have been way worse than what we got.

That sounds like a good idea actually, especially if you could use attack items