Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game seems extremely charming and funny but I can't help but think that the battles are going to get really tedious after a while. The ring-based system seems clever but I feel like I'm just going to get tired of it a lot faster than I'd get tired of a more straightforward turn-based combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

If each new fight is essentially a new puzzle, I'm totally down. Menu based combat RPGs get boring during the first battle. I'm not horny for XP, I think generally it's a bad system for exactly the same reasons some people love it, being able to be under or overpowered via XP is a turnoff. Every battle should have a point, or it's a poo poo encounter we should skip. Intentionally fighting random trivial battles for XP is mechanic and system I won't allow in my household.

This is a buy. Question is, do I buy this or Death Stranding? I'll only have time for some of either this month and next.

Yeah, I don't care about XP, and to be fair I've only seen early game battles in previews. It just seems like the ring puzzles aren't ever going to be all that challenging and it's just going to feel like busywork to me before I get to just jump on or smash the enemies. Maybe that won't be the case.

The boss battles seem kind of neat, I just have a strong feeling that the normal encounters are going to get old kinda quickly, with or without an XP mechanic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RVWinkle posted:

I feel like the vast majority of RPGs devolve into repetitive fights that can be resolved by selecting the same command over and over again. I'd consider it a hallmark of the genre at this point.

This is true, but I think the more inputs/tasks each easy, repetitive fight requires, the sooner it just gets exhausting. There are ways to keep it fun for longer--Persona 5's really snappy combat that requires at least a little strategy, for example, or FFXII just letting you automate huge portions of it--but if it's "take time to solve the same type of simple puzzle every time then use one of two attacks" I just can't imagine it not becoming a horrible drag.

I'm hoping that's not the case because everything else about the game looks extremely charming and delightful, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gimme a game full of koopa troopas

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Araxxor posted:

A bunch of turn based RPGs do have repetitive gameplay, but it is still possible for it to be an engaging system. Etrian Odyssey actually makes random encounters engaging and a threat instead of fodder to pad out the game for one.

Oh, definitely. That's what I meant to convey with my examples. Atlus RPGs in general tend to do a good job, from Etrian Odyssey's more threatening/varied random encounters to SMT and Persona 5's demon negotiation (and also threatening/at least somewhat strategic combat with the turn manipulation systems), things like that.

I mostly mean that what I've seen of Origami King's combat looks like it's simplistic enough, but with enough inputs/time required that it'll feel too much like busywork. Having XP/leveling wouldn't really fix that for me, either, that's not the real concern.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

What do you mean by depth here? Hard to imagine a system more shallow than turn-based menu combat.

Turn-based menu combat can absolutely have depth. See: SMT

Of course I'm not exactly looking for SMT combat in my Mario RPGs but y'know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, a constant reward for battles is useful, but it doesn't have to be exp. I already feel like random encounters are a waste of time in other JRPG'S when I am getting exp.

I generally feel this way about EXP in open world games, which are increasingly featuring EXP and level systems that just feel really arbitrary and could've been replaced with more interesting, thematic progression systems.

But I think they're sticking around for now because a) it's a consistent, predictable reward for battles and quests, and b) players like it when Number Go Up. Even when it's ultimately useless because enemies' numbers keep up with yours, it's still satisfying to see your numbers go up because it makes it look like you're getting stronger.

There are other ways to do that, of course. Lots of games let you make Number Go Up through gear, collectibles, or a bunch of other things that have nothing to do with EXP. EXP and levels are just the easiest, most straightforward way to work in a system like that--the sort of proven standard way to do it--so it's really popular. That's not to say it never serves any purpose (I love JRPGs a lot) but it's definitely shoehorned into places where it doesn't belong, including some turn-based RPGs.