Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Araxxor posted:

Coins can be used to permanently upgrade your stats. Why they didn't reveal this in marketing is beyond me.

the online-maligned Paper Marios have sold more or less as well as TTYD (Colour Splash kind of balances out if you account for how few Wii Us sold), so they probably just don't see the point

as much as I agree with some criticisms of SS and CS, I think the reality is that how "bad" those games are for not having as many numbers going up isn't as loud an opinion as your favorite echo-chamber would lead you to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
remember that game reviewer that took ten minutes to get out of the ten second-long Cuphead tutorial

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I want a fun and engaging system but also I don't want it to engage me at all

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

It depends what you find engaging. Every review I've seen says that the battles don't involve any strategy, just puzzle-solving. Some reviewers miss the strategy, some don't. Some reviewers think the puzzles are fun, some don't. But personally I don't think I'd find battles with a lack of strategy engaging at all.

strategy is a puzzle

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

the focus on toads is especially baffling because literally nobody likes toads

if you had a game where every single NPC was a goomba wearing a different hat everyone would be ecstatic

hell can you imagine how exponentially better Captain Toad Treasure Tracker would have been if the entire game was exactly the same except Captain Toad was Captain Goomba

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

:qq: Bobby.... thank you... you’re the greatest.... legit teared up... :qq:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Morbi posted:

To be honest, the existence of Kammy Koopa when Kamek was already a semi-established character with the exact same position and personality always struck me as kind of weird and redundant.

Kammy is the Kamek from Yoshi's Island, she just transitioned at some point. I declare this lore canon

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

Kamek was in Super Mario RPG, so I'd find it a bit strange if they outright couldn't use him in Paper Mario since that was first conceived as a sequel.

that wasn't Kamek that was a different Magikoopa

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And it's like really, you're putting Super Paper Mario up there too??

hell yeah I am

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Augus posted:

if the combat were like the first two games it’d be one of the best in the series

"if the combat were more of a slog I'd like it a lot more"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Augus posted:

the average random encounter in origami king is at least twice as long as the average random encounter in the first two paper mario games, every problem only has one correct solution, there is no customization whatsoever.

yeah but actually finding the solution uses some of my brain's horsepower, instead of a system that gives me one hundred different toys that are all functionally as effective as each other

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

So It Goes posted:

Someone is going to point out that the battles in jrpgs don’t change either, but what is changing is your party layouts and you get new skills etc. that cause the play of the battle to be different. The battles often become a toolbox to mess around with party and character builds. The result in terms of you deal damage to kill the enemy is the same, but the fact you do different things to reach that result absolutely matters.

having more tools that accomplish the same thing is not depth. a pool can be very, very wide and still only two inches deep

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

Having more tools to play with is fun, even if there's no wrong choices.

I'm not disagreeing - I'm only disagreeing with the idea that the system where you can basically just do whatever you want and win and nothing matters has more "depth" because you can make Mario wear Luigi's clothes or whatever

Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 29, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Augus posted:

different tools that accomplish the same thing (winning a battle) but more efficiently.

outside of boss battles in origami king it is functionally impossible to die because you have an endless supply of mushrooms and multiple actions per turn, and you can also use coins to solve the puzzles instantly. so you can do anything you want and win and nothing matters. the incentive to actually solve the puzzles is because it is more efficient.

the incentive to solving the puzzle is that I like solving puzzles

I'm sorry that you're bad at puzzles but it doesn't mean this game is bad, sorry

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Augus posted:

can you stop being a defensive weirdo

I mean your complaint here is literally that you are bad at the puzzles

Augus posted:

the timer to clear a puzzle is over a minute long and I regularly run out of time in battles

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

gender ruins everything, again

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Morbi posted:

For a game that insists on having so many cute faux-musical singalong moments, the localization did an uncharacteristically poor job at times writing lyrics that fit the melodies. "Go With The Flow" in particular, I have no loving clue how they intend to be sung with the way they try to have each single line fill two whole measures.

Yeah!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm not a fan of making the player feel stupid for not understanding how to solve something

yeah it's totally the game's fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

the host says you get a game over if you lose