Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you didn’t like the hipster colored pencil case boss, you hate fun. I’ve seen people complain that the bosses since Super Paper Mario have lacked personality but lol they managed to give personality to a colored pencil case, good one Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Troy Queef posted:

Keep in mind this is also a series where one of the most beloved boss fights is against a steak.

I hosed that up a couple of times, cooking that steak was tough.

Color Splash was alright, although I hated rock, paper, scissors. It got so boring after a while.

One thing I can appreciate about Origami King so far is having puzzles based around forcing you to run out of confetti. Like in the Tower before the Colored Pencil boas, you are forced to run out of confetti then have to figure out how to get more before you can progress. Clever, there was nothing like that in Color Splash. There were also tons and tons of spots you needed to color that were really difficult to discern which was just bad design. Thankfully they fixed that issue with this one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LiefKatano posted:

This isn't a question I posed to the thread but I was wondering if there was ever a point to not just spam 1000-Fold Arms in boss battles.

I got a somewhat rude answer to that question! :V

The second Vellumental clowned me when I tried to use that or the earth velljmental attack while it was flying. I wish I had done better in that fight...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Araxxor posted:

Good news. Check out the battle lab. You can rematch bosses there.

Do you get something for doing this? I knew that but I’m not going to do it just to do better this time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Toad King posted:

I think that gets you a trophy, which goes towards completion percentage. :rip:

Who thought this was a good idea? Because I’d like to punch them through the internet.

Edit: is there a ? Block detecting radar thing? I need that, I’m sick of missing so many ? Blocks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My favorite puzzles are the ones that I spend hundreds of coins on for more time, try every possible solution I can think up then just say 'gently caress it' and just botch the whole thing to move on.

Then realize the next time I see it I just had to scoot a line over to the left and I somehow didn't try the most basic thing available to me.

I laid down to take a nap after one of these and solved it in my head and felt super dumb.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Speaking of buying stuff, I got a 20% off card accessory pretty early on, do I eventually get a bigger discount card later on?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You’re right, the next areas have some really expensive but awesome accessories

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How the gently caress do I reach this not bottomless hole door in shroom city behind the accessory shop. How the gently caress do I get there

You wait until after you beat the boss of the chapter.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it... is it even possible to beat Ring Scramble lv 3?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amppelix posted:

Yes, you just memorize the exact way the picture is scrambled and do it in reverse.

Or, for example, record a clip of it and study at your leisure.

I tried doing that second thing, did not work. Is it the same every time?

Also, Ninji Skills lv 3 :suicide: at least the other two are easy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat the game today and finished up everything... except Shy Guys Finish Last :shepicide: not sure if I am up for it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I liked Super Paper Mario’s completely bonkers plot but the 3D/2D gimmick wasn’t particularly well-executed. And I did a 100% LP* of it lol

But it also has completely brilliant parts like Mr. L and the the otaku chameleon which absolutely make the game worth playing.

*would have been 100% if my computer hadn’t crashed every time I tried to record that absurdly long optional dungeon. I literally did it twice and both times my hard drive hosed up and my Windows partition committed suicide.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Your partners did have abilities in battle, though? They could attack, some better than others. The accessory that increased their damage was pretty great.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

One of the hints explicitly mentions it.

I was going to say this, the little letter hints are pretty useful.

Here’s an interesting thing I found out by being an idiot: (Green Streamer Boss)

Like an idiot I destroyed his sheath on the first turn and he immediately started his instant death attack. I managed to struggle through only loving up once (thanks 1-up shroom) and came out victorious.

When I did the rematch in the boss fighting machine I didn’t destroy his sheath and... you get Ice Vellumental panels?!?! Did I just miss them the first time or is your punishment really no ice powers? That’s kinda mean tbh the ice makes the battle way less stressful.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

You need to hit chests to make them show IIRC

Hmm I was sure I did hit chests... I think I used a different Vellumental power against it, too? Maybe not.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Morbi posted:

I did it the intended way the first time and then broke the sheath during my rematch and I can definitely confirm that if you just go for it, they force you to do it "the hard way" without Vellumental panels the whole way through.

The hint you get is like bold and red and says “YOU CAN’T BREAK THE SHEATH YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!” so I’m not surprised they punish you so much. It’s a pretty good boss fight tbh there is only maybe one boss I didn’t like loving Handaconda, why did they have to bring back RPS??? Fight’s dumb as poo poo.

Edit: the end boss is also kind of disappointing but whatever. They clearly ran out of ideas.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

I'm on the final phase of (Yellow streamer) Giant Pokey and I have no idea what the game wants me to do. Hitting and ramming don't work and Olivia is unhelpful.

Boss and battle design in this game is kind of dick.

On the final segment you have to get out of the car and hammer the sticker, since there’s only one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LiefKatano posted:

Handaconda does have a tell, at least; while you're arranging the rings it'll make the appropriate hand motion for what it's gonna use. Not sure if Olivia gives you a hint about it because... I honestly forget about asking her a in battle a ton because I got too used to her generic "watch out for angry enemies!" "hint". Better than Roshambo in Color Splash, at least, where the final round was just a crapshoot in general.

Also having the hype for playing Rock Paper Scissors in the same style as normal 1000-Fold Arms is incredible.

I know. But if my experience in the rematch is any indication, its tells are sometimes lies.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Took me like 6 or 7 tries. But I had it almost perfect by the third try and kept messing up at the end. I kept jumping early or late

Pro-tip: If you need to hit the brakes hammer your own boat.

Also which fishing spots are the legendary at?

Full moon island

The eddy river took me like 10 tries, I also kept loving up the jumps at the end. I also hosed up the large whirlpool a couple times.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Some of y’all never used fire/ice flowers, tails or POW blocks and it shows.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Araxxor posted:

The tails are mainly for encounters where enemies can be put into a 2x2 formation, but are immune to the hammer.

So Ninji and ...?

I used them for variety’s sake. Anyway flowers are good because they got elemental weaknesses which some enemies do, in fact, have.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Also I've been in multiple fights with more than one solution, where the circles show one thing and say "3 moves" and I say "Nah" and do a different arrangement in 2 moves

Yes, many of the puzzles have multiple solutions.

I also didn’t realize you could slide panels during bosses until you have to do it during the Ice Vellumental fight. Good times.

Edit: if you solve a puzzle in fewer turns than it gives you, your puzzle solving bonus at the end of the match is doubled.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you’re having issues with the puzzles go to the battle lab and do The Ringer and Speed Rings. The Ringer will teach you solutions for lots of puzzles and lets you take as much time as you need to complete them. Speed Rings is basically a matter of memorizing a bunch of solutions and inputting them quickly.

I promise doing these will greatly improve your ability to solve puzzles quickly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah it was the door on the right in the Lobby. If you talk to the Toad in front of said door they tell you it’s there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Augus posted:

As someone who was bashing their head in vain against half the puzzles from Chapter 3 onwards, I'm surprised people struggled with the last puzzle against the final boss. You just slide the colors so that they all line up together, and then rotate the whole image so that it's right-side up. I actually thought it was really easy.

I didn’t realize this until the timer had run out and I redid it. Then I felt like an idiot. Tbh the scrambled image looked like total nonsense at first.

Edit: thankfully the game just lets you redo the puzzle if you fail instead of forcing you to do the whole boss battle again!