Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What does that mean though? In the preview clips, there are definitely original variants of Mario characters. In particular I remember seeing a Troopa with a moustache and walking stick, and a goomba with geisha hair. There were also a number of different Toads but I assume clothes are considered fair game.

And as far as I can tell from that interview, nothing's stopping them from creating wholly original characters like Vivian, Rawk Hawk, or Francis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

skaianDestiny posted:

Some concept art for OK.

We were loving robbed.

Some of these are definitely in the game

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I've mentioned how I was hoping they'd have some kind of gallery that gives you real life instructions for the origami creatures you fight, and it seems almost a crime that they do have a gallery, and an in-universe book on how to fold them, but you're unable to actually read the book yourself; Olivia just reads it and does it on her own.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there a way for me to know which enemies I am now able to defeat instantly from the overworld?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm a big fan of the M&L battles and I think it's the most engaging system of any of the Mario RPG types. It feels much more satisfying and much more Mario to see the brothers jump and evade, than to press A at a somewhat arbitrary frame and hope you chose the correct timing (at least in OK Mario actually does a blocking animation to show you what you're doing).

That said, I can't think of any RPG where I've enjoyed grinding for exp more than I've enjoyed engaging with the story and overworld, and the Mario ones are no exception, even TTYD. Once you've seen what enemies have to "offer", it just gets annoying to have to deal with enemies, and the effect is more pronounced on M&L because the animations on both sides of battle take so long to pull off and are just boring once you've mastered them. I like the battles in OK because of the puzzle solving, but I appreciate that you don't level here because once I've tired of twisting rings for the day, I can just avoid a lot of enemies without having to worry about missing out on sweet sweet exp.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Augus posted:

Yeah they mentioned this in an interview. It’s hard to visualize what the Origami would need to look like and how they would fold and unfold without any physical reference so that’s what they did. It’s pretty cool.

They must have one hell of an origami king on their team for them to have figured out how to fold tiny Olivia into an earth vellumental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Anyone know if someone's done printable scans of the instructions and patterns for the Paper Mario origami set? I don't think this is something you can purchase; as far as I know, it's an exclusive bonus of some sort; possibly a preorder bonus? So I'm going to have to print them out myself if I want them. (And even if I could order them, the Philippines is on hold for a lot of online shopping places these days, because, well)