Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Anyway I'm getting the sense from reviews that the whole ring puzzle mechanic is just incredibly difficult for some people to wrap their heads around, I've seen a couple reviews that amount to "this is insanely hard and I can't believe Nintendo would make a Paper Mario game this challenging" while the rest seem to feel that it's pretty easy overall

Agreed. Some people just have pretty bad spatial intelligence. That doesn't make them stupid or bad. Just that the rubik's cube inspiration for battles would be pretty hard to balance.At least thats how I see it without playing. There's no exp to grind your way past difficult bosses, you just either have a knack for rubik's cubes or you don't. Seems like poor design if you develop your game around these intrusive puzzles that provide no consistent incentive to solve.

edit: I also remember a GX person saying if you screw up the ring phase even in regular mobs the battle will take long and is a huge hassle to clean up. Like, the idea that battles are a literal puzzle is cool but maybe don't punish the player with super tedious battles for sucking at it and not providing much incentive. Just go the SMT route and give me a full party wipe for messing up my press turns.

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

they gave mario a gun

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I thought Shy Guys Finish Last was alright. What I really, really hated was that snifit expression game. It's a funny idea at first, but getting a game over on it is such a huge gently caress you.

I finished the game last night and I thought it was solidly decent for most of it although it did have some pretty good highlights. Bobby was really great, but Captain T.Ode is getting so close to having a unique character that really connects you to this universe but then they pretty much just forget about him. Otherwise, you're just Mario running through an eclectic mix of different worlds that have no connection.

The game felt incredibly short and I feel like there's zero replay value, since combat is something I mostly tried to avoid. Overall I didn't like the combat and found it annoying. I'm not a fan of making the player feel stupid for not understanding how to solve something, and avoiding combat just reinforces that pattern.

If I ever want to feel nostalgic about OK I think I'd prefer to look up videos on youtube rather than play the game again to re-experience it, with the exception of maybe Shangri-spa. Whereas games like Super Mario RPG or older Paper Mario games are things I want to actually experience again.