Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My cat sat outside my door yowling from at LATEST 6:10am (when I woke up & heard her) until 8:31 (one minute after my alarm usually goes off, and when I woke up). This is simply the straw that broke the camel's back; she's done this several times and the times that she hasn't done it, I'm forced to assume I just slept too hard to notice her. Is it weird that I'm relieved that she's meowing again? Good to know that this wasn't some time-conditioned thing.

I need help. I tried feeding her at night, but it doesn't make a difference. I tried putting an old dress out there because 1) it smells like me, 2) I hate it enough to let a cat play with it, and 3) she loves playing with my clothes for some reason and I hoped that it might distract/un-bore her. I don't let her into my bedroom because she is super disruptive -- she acts like every part of my body that isn't covered by a blanket is a plaything (including my face, which I need to keep uncovered for breathing purposes), and the morning that I woke up to find her chewing on one of my eyelids was the morning I decided she couldn't come in here while I slept.

Anyway, not only is this annoying as gently caress, I also worry about whether or not my neighbors hear anything. They haven't confronted me but they might not be confrontational people. Please help. :smith:

Here's a pic of the little jerk.

edit: as soon as I got out of bed, went to the bathroom, and got back in bed with the door open, she hopped in bed with me & rubbed up against my face/head multiple times and perched right in front of my face. This is what leads me to believe it's separation anxiety and not some other weird issue.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How long have you had your cat?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Since Thanksgiving 2018.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Sounds like she needs a friend. Have you considered getting a second cat. Domesticated cats are not solitary animals. They need buddies. Some cats like or prefer to be alone, but it's not as common as people think

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
If my lease hadn't specifically said "ONE cat" in it, I would have gladly adopted another cat. My first cat (i.e., the one right before her) lived a happy solitary life despite having been adopted from a home filled to the brim with animals, so I assumed she'd be fine alone too. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I always hate it when people abandon their E/N threads, and I don't want to be a hypocrite, soooooo...

Basically, here are two things I realized:
1) I was making noise in my room that she couldn't access, if that makes any sense. Like, I would go in there, close my door, and listen to podcasts & play Phoenix Wright until I fell asleep. That meant that there was light AND sound coming from my room that I think was agitating her.
2) Getting her favorite toy out from under the couch & throwing it to the other end of the apartment was sufficiently distracting/fun for her.

So basically I've been listening to podcasts at like 1% volume, right next to my ear, and playing Phoenix Wright at 1% volume, whispering "Hold it", "Objection", and "Take that" when necessary, lol. It's a weird compromise, but it's working really well. :unsmith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Headphones, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Maybe I should have made it clearer in my last post that this issue is resolved.