Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I'm horribly inefficient and use the big counters, with the decrement step coming from an AND gate enabled by the count being positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Green Wing posted:

I'm horribly inefficient and use the big counters, with the decrement step coming from an AND gate enabled by the count being positive.

Good thought!

I just completed The Commissary, and I ended up only using a single counter, to control the Stacker.

Everything else is run off Sequencers. There's juuuuust enough time in a single sequence to cook everything for any given order.

I'm sure I could make it more efficient, but I'm proud of my initial solution. These are getting quite complex.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

WhiteHowler posted:

In Food Court, I hate the way the Fryer works.

The "Sense" output fires once after an item is triggered to eject, which throws off the counters.

So if the Fryer ejects at zero, the associated counter will actually go to -1. This means I can't use the same counter initialization for subsequent orders. A good example of this is The Commissary, where several of the orders have two four-tick fried foods.

I know I could set the counter one higher and fire an event to de-increment it when the factory starts, but that seems really sloppy, and I don't always have a free output on my Start event.

I could also build the Eject into a sequencer routine, but again, I often don't have free outputs on my sequencers.

Has anyone found a good workaround for this?

Green Wing posted:

You think you're inefficient? I just throw a sensor after the fryer and link it to a +1

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

The "Sense" output fires once after an item is triggered to eject, which throws off the counters.

So if the Fryer ejects at zero, the associated counter will actually go to -1. This means I can't use the same counter initialization for subsequent orders. A good example of this is The Commissary, where several of the orders have two four-tick fried foods.

I know I could set the counter one higher and fire an event to de-increment it when the factory starts, but that seems really sloppy, and I don't always have a free output on my Start event.

I could also build the Eject into a sequencer routine, but again, I often don't have free outputs on my sequencers.

If you use one of the bigger counters, set one of its options to -4, one to -5 and one to +1. Set -4 at the start, link the positive on the counter to the -5, zero to the fryer's eject, and the fryer's sense to the +1. This will cause the fryer to reset itself to the proper time without anything except the fryer and the counter.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Smart Car posted:

If you use one of the bigger counters, set one of its options to -4, one to -5 and one to +1. Set -4 at the start, link the positive on the counter to the -5, zero to the fryer's eject, and the fryer's sense to the +1. This will cause the fryer to reset itself to the proper time without anything except the fryer and the counter.
I did that with a couple of earlier levels, but my solution for The Commissary used up every single piece of rack space, even with just a single small counter.

Of course, I probably didn't HAVE to use five sequencers... :v:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Chipwizard down, now there's only Food Court between me and a secret envelope. I love how every level of Chipwizard was like "this is completely impossible, how on earth do I....oh wait, this is actually pretty easy". Sometimes after a little googling to remember how an SR latch works. Then it was just a matter of cramming it in the required space. It still would have been nice to have a little more room to play with, so you could optimize after solving it.

I never liked Hackmatch very much on EXAPUNKS, so I was dreading having to do it here. The video below gave me the tips I needed to breeze through it. Lvl 4 boss took two tries to beat, and honestly is easier than Lvl 3. The tricks help a lot! (you have a small window to manually continue chains, and clear the screen on Lvl 4 before she attacks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKiK9Ok1fEM

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
So, the solitaire games and chip wizard were probably worth the price of admission. Really enjoying going back to older designs and finding more optimal solutions, spurred on by the top percentile scores.

Anyone have any ideas how to build a 15um dual oscillator? :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does the bbs part ever matter again after downloading all the games, and do you ever use the address book part of the little pda program?

Not really big deals but it's weird that the framing sort of just drops off lol

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

RBA Starblade posted:

Does the bbs part ever matter again after downloading all the games, and do you ever use the address book part of the little pda program?

Not really big deals but it's weird that the framing sort of just drops off lol

You can connect to it later to get a final screen and one last message in the notepad.

The only things left for me now are Hack Match (which I hate) and the final level in Food Court, which I'm not sure is possible.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

WhiteHowler posted:

I just use sequencers instead of timers for all of my fryers. This makes it easier to run three fryers in parallel for all the levels where you cook a bunch of stuff!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

I just use sequencers instead of timers for all of my fryers. This makes it easier to run three fryers in parallel for all the levels where you cook a bunch of stuff!

Hell yeah, at least on the levels where I can't synchronise everything going into the friers at once.

Sequencers do feel a lot more powerful than anything else available. Timer, splitter, programmer, and some shenanigans you can pull off with the end input.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've become quite a bit better with sequencers in Food Court and am able to match most of my friends' best times.

I'm now struggling with waste disposal on Da Wings.

Sensors are too slow to open gates when there's a line of products, and the timing isn't accurate enough for a sequencer to work in all scenarios.

I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but everything I've tried so far feels really clunky.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I've become quite a bit better with sequencers in Food Court and am able to match most of my friends' best times.

Sensors are too slow to open gates when there's a line of products, and the timing isn't accurate enough for a sequencer to work in all scenarios.

I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but everything I've tried so far feels really clunky.

I managed this one with sequencers, but my 9 chicken feast did need to use two sequencers linked together to handle the whole thing. Everything moved in the exact same way every time, so I'm not sure how accuracy can be an issue. I thought Food Court was 100% deterministic.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bug Squash posted:

I managed this one with sequencers, but my 9 chicken feast did need to use two sequencers linked together to handle the whole thing. Everything moved in the exact same way every time, so I'm not sure how accuracy can be an issue. I thought Food Court was 100% deterministic.

Not accuracy, but consistency between the three scenarios. Depending on whether you're discarding one, two, or three extra products, they'll enter with different timings that I don't think can be handled with a single sequencer.

I feel like this is the first scenario where you can do it fast OR cheap, but going too far one way or the other will severely impact the other.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Not accuracy, but consistency between the three scenarios. Depending on whether you're discarding one, two, or three extra products, they'll enter with different timings that I don't think can be handled with a single sequencer.

I feel like this is the first scenario where you can do it fast OR cheap, but going too far one way or the other will severely impact the other.
Some very light spoilers about how I managed it:
I used four sequencers, one for 3, one for 6, 2 for 9. Ugly as sin but effective. Plus you only need two disposals if you throw out the occasional half chicken. Friers can be operated from a single output if synchronised.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bug Squash posted:

Some very light spoilers about how I managed it:
I used four sequencers, one for 3, one for 6, 2 for 9. Ugly as sin but effective. Plus you only need two disposals if you throw out the occasional half chicken. Friers can be operated from a single output if synchronised.

I got it, but all of the solutions I tried feel sloppy. Oh well, on to the next one!

I took a break and tried ChipWizard, and I discovered that I'm somehow pretty good at it. But whoever managed to get a 12um solution on the Safety Interlock level must be a witch, and I need you to stay far away from me.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

WhiteHowler posted:

A little back at this point, but it sounds like you've got chicken bits bumping up against each other. Lemme show two chicken formations real quick.

First we have a very generic two fryer setup. The two chicken bits cook at the same speed, travel the same distance, and rejoin each other at the same time, so there's no space between them. Later, the chicken will bump up against itself. I'm assuming this is what your chicken layout looked like, WhiteHowler? The finished product belt is going to look like Chicken -> Chicken -> space -> space -> Chicken -> Chicken -> space -> space.

And here's the exact same format, except the merge between the two chicken streams is moved one space. Now the right chicken takes two more spaces to get cooked and moved to the merge. Even better, it takes four steps to feed the half chicken into the slicer. This makes your chicken stream Chicken -> space -> Chicken -> space -> Chicken -> space -> Chicken -> space, which should be easier to work with later.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I went the fast but expensive route: two slicers, and three products are routed for cooking (each with its own oven) and one is routed for disposal. Space the conveyor belts so all products enter their ovens on the same turn and you can use one sequencer for all three easily.

As for disposal, I had one sequencer for that, that routed whether or not the product was actually there.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 17, 2022

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

WhiteHowler posted:

I took a break and tried ChipWizard, and I discovered that I'm somehow pretty good at it. But whoever managed to get a 12um solution on the Safety Interlock level must be a witch, and I need you to stay far away from me.
Well, this inspired me to take another look at my design and like half an hour later I landed on a 4x3 solution :v:

Key to this was creating an interleaved NPN and PNP combo inside a 4x2 footprint

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mystic Mongol posted:

First we have a very generic two fryer setup. The two chicken bits cook at the same speed, travel the same distance, and rejoin each other at the same time, so there's no space between them. Later, the chicken will bump up against itself. I'm assuming this is what your chicken layout looked like, WhiteHowler? The finished product belt is going to look like Chicken -> Chicken -> space -> space -> Chicken -> Chicken -> space -> space.
Yeah, that's exactly what was happening, and adjusting it did help with the waste disposal. I still ended up using a sensor to run a sequencer for waste disposal, and that's not the most efficient method, but I'm okay with the results.

But hey, I also finished Dungeons and Diagrams today! That last level made my head hurt, but I finally go it.

I hopped back to ChipWizard, and now I'm stuck on the Motor Controller.

I figured out how to get a circuit to keep itself on, but I haven't figured out how to toggle it off yet. The two solutions I've tried either only turn it off for a single tick while the Off button is pressed, or put it into oscillating mode until On is pressed again.

I think I really don't get capacitors in this game. I mean, I get how they're supposed to work in theory, but the practical application keeps eluding me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I know you're probably supposed to mix and match minigames, but I've mostly been taking them one at a time. Nearly done with Dungeons & Diagrams, but holy hungus, this last rung of puzzles is absolutely teeth-grinding. Cleared the whole seventh line in a single hour, half-asleep, only to spend exactly as much time on a single puzzle from the eighth (and I still haven't solved it). I need a break.

Good thing my fake computer comes with stress-relieving model kits.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
There are more than a couple of levels that break the unwritten "diagonal" rule near the end of D&D. It's an unfortunate difficulty jump.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The last level of D&D is a serious brainburner compared to everything before that, but if you've been watching lots of Cracking the Cryptic videos and can identify that things like how many walls are in the left two columns are going to be important then it becomes way more tractable.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The last D&D puzzles feel more like you're crawling through the designer's brain and anticipating the patterns rather than strictly following the number hints.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

GuavaMoment posted:

the unwritten "diagonal" rule
This, right here, cracked it wide open for me. Once I started looking for diagonals, the last few pieces simply fell into place. Achievement get!

On to the Food Court.

EDIT: I feel like I'm missing something here. The cords threw me for a loop until I trained myself to view them as if/then statements (and realized I could buy more machines; I'd probably move that tab), but now I'm trying to program sorters and counters (Wine o' Clock) and nothing's working. This thread and the Steam forums are mostly people posting high-end solutions, so is there a trick to this I'm missing? I almost feel ashamed to ask.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 19, 2022

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

EDIT: I feel like I'm missing something here. The cords threw me for a loop until I trained myself to view them as if/then statements (and realized I could buy more machines; I'd probably move that tab), but now I'm trying to program sorters and counters (Wine o' Clock) and nothing's working. This thread and the Steam forums are mostly people posting high-end solutions, so is there a trick to this I'm missing? I almost feel ashamed to ask.

I'm happy to help, but I'm not 100% sure what you need help with. Here's some vague hints that might get you started, but if you describe your confusion in more detail, I'm sure we could help more.

- New tools introduced in this chapter include the sorter and multimixer.
- The sorter has two useful abilities, only one of which we'll be using here:
a) Ability to choose three directions that an item leaves the sorter. The command to move in that direction must come while the item is on the sorter. If you send it earlier, it will just 'sort' nothing.
b) Items will sit at the sorter until you send it a direction. <- This is the feature we're using.
- If normal wires act as if/then, the regular multimixers act as OR gates (hook up multiple inputs and any of them can trigger the output), and the 'enable' multimixer acts as an AND gate (both Enable and one of the other black inputs must be 'on' for the output to fire). Both have four outputs, which lets you trigger multiple things off the same input.
- All the lessons you learned before now (timing things with a counter, using the stacker, etc) will be used, plus using the two new tools.

Here's a simple (but not optimized) solution to the problem:
- Have system output a tray and a glass under all circumstances. Arrange them so the glass is stacked on the tray. So far, exactly like the previous problems.
- Downstream of the stacker, place a sorter. Set up the wine dispenser so it fills the glass while the glass-and-tray is sitting on the sorter.
- The instructions say you need to put two 'fills' of the wine of choice in the glass to get the order correct, so the sorter being at the dispenser allows it to sit there until the wine has been dispensed two times.
- The 'white' and 'red' lights are only on for the first cycle of the run, so you won't be able to 'check' them when your glass reaches the dispenser. The system is too simple to retain that information for you. You have two options: (the first one is easier, but more expensive)
a) have a scanner pointed at the sorter so that you can re-acquire the red/white choice every turn the glass-and-tray is sitting there.
b) Use extra counters as a 'memory' for the initial red/white output. This is kind of a pain in the butt and I don't recommend it until you've solved the puzzle and want to optimize.
- Okay, so how do you have the wine get exactly two fills? Use a counter. Hook things up so that sensing the glass-and-tray at the sorter (via the scanner) increments a counter. Have the counter start at a positive number (via the Start output, probably) and count down the fills applied. When the counter reaches zero, use that to eject it from the sorter, continuing along the conveyor to the end.
- How do you get it to dispense the right wine? One option is to use the second multimixer that has the 'enable' input. So you can can have two multimixers, one that is 'glass is here AND wine is white' and the other is 'glass is here AND wine is red'.

Does that help?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 19, 2022

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
At least for me i'd like extra enlightenment on how to correctly reset the counter.

All in all I'm finding Food Court to be the least enjoyable of the bunch. It just seems extremely fiddly interface-wise, I don't enjoy placing pieces like in other zachtronics games and some like the scanner are unintuitive as to what the right orientation is. As a result it's one of the two I haven't finished, along with Exapuzzle Bobble or whatever it's called (which is hell but enjoyable hell, I'm stuck on level 3).

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2022

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Chev posted:

At least for me i'd like extra enlightenment on how to correctly reset the counter.
Simplest way is to just use a sequencer instead

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do I even have that at that stage? Seemed to me the counter, sorter and multimixer are the only new tools right now.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
If you're not at that stage you don't even need to reset since the early levels just ask for one item.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
No, at the wine level I definitely need to reset.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Try it without resetting

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Chev posted:

No, at the wine level I definitely need to reset.

After you deliver an order, everything resets.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
And between steps a fair amount resets. At first I tried plugging a multimixer into itself to act as a latch but that doesn’t work so apparently the electricity is sucked out of the wires between steps.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sorry if this was already posted, but there are now 12 extra XBPGH puzzles from users, and Steed Force now lets you do multiple builds of models (:toot:).

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Not to mention I can now delete my abomination from before I knew how painting worked

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Chev posted:

All in all I'm finding Food Court to be the least enjoyable of the bunch. It just seems extremely fiddly interface-wise, I don't enjoy placing pieces like in other zachtronics games and some like the scanner are unintuitive as to what the right orientation is. As a result it's one of the two I haven't finished, along with Exapuzzle Bobble or whatever it's called (which is hell but enjoyable hell, I'm stuck on level 3).

It's funny because food court basically has the same interface as vcv rack which has always worked fine for musicians/producers. The one main difference from traditional vc is you can't plug more than one jumper into a jack, which fundamentally doesn't change anything but would allow for more elegant solutions

E: put zero on start

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I finally finished Exapunks last night. The last level had me stumped for months, but I finally found the time to sit down and hash it out. It required two stages: a tree traversal and a sort. I had the tree traversal sitting in a solution for a long time, and I knew how to do a sort (I just did a sort of inefficient bubble sort). Ultimately it was switching between the two stages that had me at a loss with the big question being: How will my code know that every register on the map has been returned to the root so that it can proceed with the sort. The solution ended up being embarrassingly simple: wait x number of cycles, if no more data has been returned in that time, the exas can move to the next stage.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I think I was 174/150 lines in terms of code size, so it wasn't an uploadable solution but I gave up on the code size restriction several levels ago. I can certainly make my code more efficient, but sorting out the redundancies without reworking the entire thing is just such a hassle.

I'm happy with my solution.

e:

I have a gif but it's several minutes of exas doing a simple sort.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I finally finished Exapunks last night. The last level had me stumped for months, but I finally found the time to sit down and hash it out. It required two stages: a tree traversal and a sort. I had the tree traversal sitting in a solution for a long time, and I knew how to do a sort (I just did a sort of inefficient bubble sort). Ultimately it was switching between the two stages that had me at a loss with the big question being: How will my code know that every register on the map has been returned to the root so that it can proceed with the sort. The solution ended up being embarrassingly simple: wait x number of cycles, if no more data has been returned in that time, the exas can move to the next stage.

Major flashbacks for me, that was exactly my solution as well. I originally had a system where breadcrumb exas got left being so terminal exas could find their way back. I was really proud of that solution since it looked really nice in progress, but I just couldn't handle getting the results into the bubble sorting exa so I fell back on the global registry solution.