Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Shenzhen I/O is definitely considered to be a lot harder than Exapunks, the line and space constraints are quite tough later on. And I still haven't beaten the game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NERTS! Online is out.

quote:

Nerts is a fast-paced competitive solitaire game for you and up to five of your friends!

Unlike the rest of our solitaire games, we did not invent Nerts. We learned about it from our artist Kyle, who has played it for years, and started playing it after lunch in the Zachtronics office. Over time we added more to it, including house rules, longer tournaments, and even a theme song.

When we started working from home in early 2020 we made a rough version of the game to play over the internet, which eventually (nine months later) was cleaned up and turned into this. The game includes a few Zachtronics additions, like players being allowed to move cards between their Nerts pile and their tableau after Nerts has been called. It's free, but you do technically unlock card backs by owning our other games, so let's pretend that's a legitimate monetization strategy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhavFAaAYT0

edit:
http://www.zachtronics.com/nerts-online/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1131190/NERTS_Online/

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 5, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nalin posted:

It looks like Zachtronics is planning on releasing the mini-game within their game EXAPUNKS as an NES cartridge.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hack-match-for-the-nes/x/2168158#/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCIsBZ3AVyY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I saw this and....:stare:. What a weird project.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I still want Zachtronics to do a modern version of Omega.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i dont know why but i always find the highway sign on exapunks to be weirdly difficult

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Has anyone tried While True: Learn()? It looks Zachronic-ish so I'm wondering how it measures up comparatively-

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hated it.

- The levels are all variants of sending colors and shapes in different ratios into different output boxes, no creativity
- It all relies way too much on random chance, so one solution that fails can succeed the next time you try it
- Your logic boxes level up and become faster, which means some speed goals are impossible the first time you encounter them
- There is a money metagame where every run costs you money and you have to upgrade your hardware
- At some points in the game it changes to an entirely different game, where you have to do a bad driving game to generate training data for an AI

Much better Zach-likes:

Silicon Zeroes
MHRD
Prime Mover
Human Resource Machine
7 Billion Humans

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Thanks. That sounds like poo poo, yeah

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Bringing this thread back from the grave to tell all ZachFans to try the Steam Nextfest demo of The Signal State. It's an analog and digital logic simulator where you put together modules and patch cables to solve puzzles. It has a crazy amount of polish on it for what it is, with Zachtronics style pre-game chat for storybuilding, and good art. If this was listed as a real Zachtronics game I wouldn't have questioned it, and I mean that as the largest possible compliment.

Spoiler for a solution to the hardest the demo has to offer.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 17, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Zachtronics I got to visit their office last week and stole a sneak preview of a devs workstation and the next game. Looks very shenzenIO-like and got me pumped.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Daedalus1134 posted:

Bringing this thread back from the grave to tell all ZachFans to try the Steam Nextfest demo of The Signal State. It's an analog and digital logic simulator where you put together modules and patch cables to solve puzzles. It has a crazy amount of polish on it for what it is, with Zachtronics style pre-game chat for storybuilding, and good art. If this was listed as a real Zachtronics game I wouldn't have questioned it, and I mean that as the largest possible complement.

Looks dope!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ah hell yeah to the last three posts. I downloaded TIS a few days ago and cleared my progress, and it's killing my brain all over again.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Speaking of Zachtronics I got to visit their office last week and stole a sneak preview of a devs workstation and the next game. Looks very shenzenIO-like and got me pumped.

oh gently caress yeah

Daedalus1134 posted:

Bringing this thread back from the grave to tell all ZachFans to try the Steam Nextfest demo of The Signal State. It's an analog and digital logic simulator where you put together modules and patch cables to solve puzzles. It has a crazy amount of polish on it for what it is, with Zachtronics style pre-game chat for storybuilding, and good art. If this was listed as a real Zachtronics game I wouldn't have questioned it, and I mean that as the largest possible compliment.

oooh gonna check this out, thanks for the recc!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm intrigued by signal state, and I'll download that demo tonight. Ideally they'd develop their own art style a bit, though. That input / expected output set-up is a little bit too similar to Shenzhen. ;)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

just finished it, short and sweet (mainly a bunch of tutorials with 1 puzzle), but very polished! It's really a zach-clone yeah, everything is basically directly copied except for the specific modules and the use of wires.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Daedalus1134 posted:

It seems interesting. Though I do question having time-taken be a scoring component for leaderboard stuff.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Brutakas posted:

It seems interesting. Though I do question having time-taken be a scoring component for leaderboard stuff.

That was the one complaint I mentioned on their discord. To me it seems like it would just lead to rebuild races after you have a solution. They seemed open to changing it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I wouldn't mind some kind of electrical engineering game from Zach next, Ruckingenur was p dope

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

grate deceiver posted:

I wouldn't mind some kind of electrical engineering game from Zach next, Ruckingenur was p dope

I was scratching my head at your comment for a moment, thinking of Shenzhen I/O, when I realized that one is really more of a puzzle about being an integrated software dev than an electrical engineer. I imagine there's a puzzle game or two about drawing circuits out of components. Making it dynamic enough I think would require using some amount of semi-programmable integrated circuits though. Probably doable without being too similar to Shenzhen, considering the number of programming games they've made previously.

E: Speaking as not-a-very-good-at-all programmer and an utterly amateur electrical tech; man the idea of that game is sticking with me. Sounds fun and wish it existed outside my imagination.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 18, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People is all about drawing circuits!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

KONSTRUKTOR is more like logic chip programming though? I was thinking more about something that would teach about managing voltages with resistors, condensers, diodes and all that stuff. Like making actual electric appliances or control systems from zero. I know there are entire apps for prototyping and simulating circuits, but my stupid brain would like something gamified with clear objectives, because I suck at coming up and maintaing interest in learning projects.

Ruckingenur is also not really about that, but it's probably the closest. You don't really have to probe the voltages at all, all the puzzles can be solved by loving around with chip registers.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ok, guys, I got it - a game about building analog synthesizers. You get your typical programming weirdos interested, and you got your synth weirdos. Zachtronic gets to play around in an entirely new niche. There's a large supply of ideas in the synth diy world. You get a pretty big variation of 'missions' - you have your power supplies, your sequencers, your mixers, your midi devices, effect boxes, wave generators, etc.

Then you can have your creative mode where you link up your stuff with patch cables and do music.

Hello Zachtronics please hire me as an ideas guy, tia

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Excuse me, it's spelt KOHCTPYKTOP

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, guys, I got it - a game about building analog synthesizers. You get your typical programming weirdos interested, and you got your synth weirdos. Zachtronic gets to play around in an entirely new niche. There's a large supply of ideas in the synth diy world. You get a pretty big variation of 'missions' - you have your power supplies, your sequencers, your mixers, your midi devices, effect boxes, wave generators, etc.

Then you can have your creative mode where you link up your stuff with patch cables and do music.

Hello Zachtronics please hire me as an ideas guy, tia

This would be really good since that's one of the main interests of a character in Eliza.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Daedalus1134 posted:

:smug:

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Yeah, I could have got there eventually. :argh:

Very nice. I am pretty sure Min and Max were not there when I played.

Edit: Oh wow, they added a bunch of things to play with.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 20, 2021

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

Excuse me, it's spelt KOHCTPYKTOP

Is there a way to play this without having to figure out how to run flash today?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Man with Hat posted:

Is there a way to play this without having to figure out how to run flash today?

Yes. But I can't remember what it is. Good luck.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Man with Hat posted:

All the old Flash games are bundled in https://store.steampowered.com/app/1098840/ZACHLIKE/

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Dope, thanks!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Daedalus1134 posted:

Very nice. I am pretty sure Min and Max were not there when I played.

Edit: Oh wow, they added a bunch of things to play with.

They definitely weren't there until I got up to the optional puzzle, and I'm not sure but I don't think they were even an option until I'd finished that puzzle once.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a Silicon Zeroes thread? I want to post about how much the puzzle Threes is kicking my arse :(

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Managed to beat Exapunks! Probably my favourite Zach game so far. Simple to learn but deep.

Wondering about possible strategies for the final mission. Keep me up for a few hours in bed last night trying to think of solution. My final approach was to send out a replicating wave of Exas to every occupy every host. In each host was an Exa that signposted the route back to base. A second exa was spawned on the hosts with nerv registers. These Exas would then read the value and walk back home following the signposts to deliver their results to a file. I ensured only one Exa could return it's results at a time by filling my base with blocking exas. Then I sorted the complete file into the requested order. Finally a cleanup wave of Exas were sent out to tidy up the signposts.

Is there a less kludgey approach I could have taken as the code was too big for the leaderboard. I assume I could have done something with the M register to save on travel time but I was concerned the messages would not arrive when required or in the correct order.
The final cleanup wave seems like something I could be better about too if I could figure out how to get the signposts to self-destruct after a period of time but I could not see how to do that while they were continually writing to memory to help the walkers. There is also some delay loops that I could tighten up on as well possibly.

Now on to try and make some progress with Shenzen I/O. Never got too far into it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I just fired up the game to check what my solution was, you can probably get the gist from the gif:

Details if you want more spoilers:
I used the M register instead of walking results back. Since we need to send back two values, and having two exas sending back their values at the same time would probably split them, I instead did the synchronization from the host end. Each exa that finds a #NERV register starts by reading from global M, which then tells it how many times it's going to delay-loop before transmitting back, and the values that get sent out are chosen so that only one exa is transmitting back at a time. Cleanup is easy since each exa can just self-destruct after sending back its own value.

Can probably do a lot better by tightening up timings and such but I think I was satisfied with just getting it working - IIRC I was pretty tired having just spent hours on something insanely complicated with each exa remembering the path it had taken to reach its current position and doing funky math to backtrack once it had gotten its data without much success, and this was my second idea on how to make it happen.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My solution seems to be similar with some optimizations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Huh, I started out doing the sign post method, but couldn't for the life of me work out how to prevent multiple simultaneous returns and so fell into the M register method, using the exact same sync trick above.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Daedalus1134 posted:

I feel like if you like this and the puzzle solving nature of it, you should probably get into actual modular synthesis.
There's a free and open source modular software available, buying hardware gets expensive. https://vcvrack.com/

Basically, people with big modular synths (what this game is based on) make music by creating weird little mathematical rules and problems to solve that then generate sound in interesting ways. Multiplication/division, logic switches, creative routing etc. The exact same principles that the signal state is based on designing a game around, with identical modules too.
If you've got a spare 15 minutes, this is a really good overview of how to approach music from a math and puzzle solving perspective -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6hJa2lRRgM
Every single hardware module he's using there can be recreated in vcv rack, there are no limits to it and the sound quality is flawless. He's really good at explaining what he did, and why, while introducing each element one by one so you can hear what each stage is doing.

Edit: I just realized that vcvrack is open source and this puzzle game is literally built on top of it. He even name-drops vcv plugin developers as collaborators at the end of the steam description.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 1, 2021

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Daedalus1134 posted:

The full game is out now!

cool synth guy Benn Jordan (aka the Flashbulb) did a video on it from a synth-guy standpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFtHlOOOTU

e: bought it and finished it within 5 hours, skipping only a couple of optional puzzles for later. Maybe 7 hours total to finish up everything at a leisurely pace if you're not a god at these kinda games? Pretty slight, and while it does tickle the zachtronics itch it stops before you really get to do anything out of the box. Most solutions are pretty obvious, and I'm definitely not the best at zach-likes. If you like optimizing puzzles there's some more to squeeze out. I scored pretty bad on most leaderboards.

Pros: nice interface, decent music, clear tutorials and tooltips
Cons: writing & story is solidly meh, no twists at all and is just kinda there. Difficulty is about the same as the tutorial for most zachtronics games, so pretty easy. real time to finish is taken into account for score, which doesn't make sense to me (you can just remember, retry and click faster??).

overall: eh, buy it on a sale or if you want to support people making more games like this I guess!
If you're new to the 'genre': might be a decent place to start. Definitely fun and easy to get into, just not that challenging for someone used to the type of puzzles.

e2: also, it has absolutely nothing to do with music/modular synths in the game, which made me sad, was hoping for some sick beats. Theres a single very simple puzzle with 3 drum samples, but that's it.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
From the Exapunks level where you have to rotate a satellite to a certain angle, 1 degree at a time either clockwise or anticlockwise. I couldn't be bothered writing an if statement for "if target - angle > 180 then etc" so it just takes the loooong way around half of the time. Frankly I expected the playerbase to be as lazy as me with this one, I mean, it rotates the correct way 50% of the time! Boy was I wrong.