Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Zachtronics games are literally the only games that are instant pre-orders once I discover they're available for sale. Steamfriending me (https://steamcommunity.com/id/GuavaMoment) has the side effect of having my name show up on all your leaderboards.

Black Griffon posted:

(Can anyone find the gif of the cool Opus Magnum crab so I can edit it in here?)

Is it one of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which game has the best solitaire

Shenzhen, its solitaire was released as a paid standalone game.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I was stuck on the Spacechem level to make Omega Pseudoethyne. I woke up one morning and literally one second later I knew how to solve the level. It was like my subconscious was working on the problem all night, and memory dumped the results into my active brain once I woke up. I don't know if that's incredible, or sad, or just really weird, but nothing else has occupied my thoughts like that before. There was also the time during WildM's Spacechem tournament where I went to bed thinking about a problem, realized I knew a way to shave a couple symbols off my solution, so I got up, booted the computer up and made a better solution before going back to bed. Then I repeated that entire process two more times. It was worth it though; I ended up with the best solution for that challenge!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

cubicle gangster posted:

I enjoyed opus magnum, but i'm really not a fan of its leaderboard style being your cumulative results rather than based on a single solution like spacechem was.

Opus Magnum and Spacechem's leaderboards work the same way though.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jeesis posted:

Also wanting to beat TIS-100 before I fire up shenzen.io but unsure, is the gameplay disparate enough they can be played independently or does shenzen feel like a sequel in terms of gameplay?

Shenzhen is so much more accessible and refined, it's a breath of fresh air after going through TIS-100. If anything, TIS-100 is the sequel in terms of difficulty.

I'm really digging TIS-330! The side missions to unlock more TIS-330 gameplay certainly are decent enough. They offend my instincts of wanting to wipe clean every map when you very specifically cannot do that and need to rush objectives, but I'm managing.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Ciaphas posted:

dangit, zachtronics games :argh:

i'm pleased with this score but perfectionist-brain feels like there's room to optimize this more; if so, either it needs an entirely different algo or i just can't see it

Can I direct you over here? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986319
Add me on steam too, you need more exafriends.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Ciaphas posted:

i get that now, yeah :v: that said i'll probably end up :effort:ing the process of sussing out those kind of unstated constraints, unless the game starts to actually require it

Without spoiling things, it does require this in a particular Shenzhen I/O level and it's the best thing ever.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Tulip posted:

My first solution was to test for EOF, and when true the exa holding the original file would use KILL, grab the new file, and extract. This works...up until test 8, when the KILL is timed to hit an exa that is on its way back home, leaving 2 files and 1 exa behind with no halting. RIP.

If it's a one cycle, kill priority problem, you could also try reorganizing your EXA order, or throw in a random NOOP or two.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
How do I get that hot pocket down the conveyor two steps faster? Can I heat it on the move somehow?

Ohhhhh I didn't even get to post this before I figured out I'm a dumb. I think I ate too much robot paint.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Chipwizard down, now there's only Food Court between me and a secret envelope. I love how every level of Chipwizard was like "this is completely impossible, how on earth do I....oh wait, this is actually pretty easy". Sometimes after a little googling to remember how an SR latch works. Then it was just a matter of cramming it in the required space. It still would have been nice to have a little more room to play with, so you could optimize after solving it.

I never liked Hackmatch very much on EXAPUNKS, so I was dreading having to do it here. The video below gave me the tips I needed to breeze through it. Lvl 4 boss took two tries to beat, and honestly is easier than Lvl 3. The tricks help a lot! (you have a small window to manually continue chains, and clear the screen on Lvl 4 before she attacks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKiK9Ok1fEM

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
There are more than a couple of levels that break the unwritten "diagonal" rule near the end of D&D. It's an unfortunate difficulty jump.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Any tips for making the hand on the final level of the Forbidden Path? I don't even know where to start.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Hempuli posted:

That's the one where you build a ribcage of sorts, surrounded by meat, right?

No, it's a hand. With fingernails. The user submitted levels.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
The last food court level is TOUGH. But it's all done now! Envelope opened, and was a happier experience than when I opened my Exapunks envelope.

Seriously though, the last Forbidden Path user submitted level - has anyone beaten it? I have no idea how to index so many varying length fingernails off of nothing. :(

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Green Wing posted:

I don't suppose anybody has any top tips for the last food court level?

You don't have enough space to easily add control blocks for cutting up the maki, try to find a way to have all four pieces route hands off. Two cutters can do it.

You can use one big counter to use POS to enable one type of fish, and ZERO to enable the other. This is easy to initialize. Sashimi will be the only one to change the state in the middle of the run.

You can output at the very end with one big counter. You have a second stacker in your solution no doubt? #(2nd stacker stacks) + 1 - #(output stacker stacks) always equals 0. Simply by adding and subtracting SENSE stacks, plus one, you can output any order. That plus one is probably the start signal, which if you're clever isn't needed for anything else. I discovered this entirely by accident as the count I did for the first order worked for everything.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 29, 2022

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jabor posted:

I did it by racing flesh propagating from the metal with bone propagating from the top, then having the excess bone on the end die off.

Took some fiddling to get everything to come out exactly right with timing, lots of hand-shaped things where one finger was slightly off before I finally cracked it.

That's exactly the kick in the pants I needed, thanks!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2842441418

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

GuavaMoment posted:

You can output at the very end with one big counter. You have a second stacker in your solution no doubt? #(2nd stacker stacks) + 1 - #(output stacker stacks) always equals 0. Simply by adding and subtracting SENSE stacks, plus one, you can output any order. That plus one is probably the start signal, which if you're clever isn't needed for anything else. I discovered this entirely by accident as the count I did for the first order worked for everything.

Wow I'm dumb. I solved problem this on an earlier puzzle and forgot all about counters once I got sequencers. Start goes to +18, POS to -1, ZERO to output the final stack. If everything is timed out perfectly, this outputs on whatever cycle you want, by changing the +18 up. In this case, 18 might be the minimum, so as to get a 21 cycle solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I've found a video that perfectly expressed what it was like to make SpaceChem videos so many years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c33AZBnRHks

tl;dw "My code solved the problem in a month. You guys brought that time down to, uh....under one millisecond."
I know exactly how that feels, Mr. Parker.

Original video for context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-AfhLQfb6w