Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Black Griffon posted:

MZ is my current jam, and one of my favorite things with Zacthronics stuff is when you're learning the ropes and you make complete poo poo, just turds from an rear end, but you made it, and you're proud of it because it's your ugly baby.
(Diethyl Ether)

It's 100% that first one, thanks!

So what are your tools/controls in Druglab Sim 2020 here? I've only ever seen GIFs and it's not terribly clear what's being manipulated where or why compounds are appearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I gave Molek-Syntez a try and I don't dislike it, but TBH the near lack of any aesthetic at all bounces me off. Which is weird, considering I liked TIS-100; possibly because that made no bones about being text-based programming in the first place, idk.

Oh well, back to Opus Magnum, not like I actually ever beat that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I swear to god there's at least one more cycle to optimize out of Alcohol Separation, staring me right in the face, and I just can't see it :tizzy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I moved on to Water Purifier and realized some tricks about how quickly you can handle inputs, so yeah I'll have to go back to apply those to the booze separator. I've got more levels to move on to first though because, god damnit. I'm going to beat a Zachtronics game. :extremelyseriousnod:

There's more I could do here but I think I did pretty drat good on cycles and space, tbh!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 18, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HenryEx posted:

I haven't played OM in years, but you could probably speed that up by a cycle or two by having a rotating arm pick up and move the water input, instead of a track arm?

That saved me five :stare: and 3 area & 15g to boot, jeez how did I not see that? :negative:

Evidently I have no idea what is considered a "cycle" because I still can't work out how 90 became 85. Oh well, that's a tip I'll remember. Thanks! :D

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 18, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dangit, zachtronics games :argh:

i'm pleased with this score but perfectionist-brain feels like there's room to optimize this more; if so, either it needs an entirely different algo or i just can't see it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

eyy, thanks, haven't checked the LP board in a while. sent a friend invite your way :cheers:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

now that i read that post, the ways to squeeze out more cycles make me unhappy as a software dev

i realize the game isn't a software dev sim but the assumptions that the tape data sections are all 126+ in length and never include 0 - or indeed any value <1000 - don't sit well with me, even if it works for the purposes of the game. sure they're true in the test data, and with some annoying eyeballing (or a fact-finding "solution") i could have potentially identified and verified that... but it says "Test Data" for what i thought was a reason, that that's not necessarily the real data used in the story once the tests pass. (lord knows it never is at my job :argh:)

yes i tend to overthink things why do you ask

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i get that now, yeah :v: that said i'll probably end up :effort:ing the process of sussing out those kind of unstated constraints, unless the game starts to actually require it

i like optimal but i am also very very lazy lol