Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

https://www.thefarside.com/new-stuff/136/squid-cove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

I don't get the squid cove one, but the banana bread one is great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wifi Toilet posted:

I don't get the squid cove one, but the banana bread one is great.

The sign said to beware of squid and the dude didn't listen. He had it coming.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Lol

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That needed to be printed in green for full effect. I love the "Honest Cartoonist" standing to the side fuming.

Ralph Hurley posted:

Came here to post my three all time favorite far sides

Seconded.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Holy poo poo

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think the joke is that he was in front of the sign looking at it when he got dragged into the ocean.

It's a poorly placed sign since the squid can get you when you're still like 10 feet away from the water.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I think the joke is there was an enormous squid tentacle already on the beach and this guy set his towel down right on top of the tentacle and ignored the sign.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Nope

Guy was genuinely one of a kind great

He made it look effortless, and he is easily imitated. But other single panel cartoons just flat aren't as amusing usually.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

However his new stuff is surprisingly lame. I would have thought after all these years he would have some amazing poo poo built up, or takes on modern stuff or smth

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Because I read the far side before the bible the depiction of God in my mind is literally just the one he draws here

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Spinz posted:

Nope

Guy was genuinely one of a kind great

He made it look effortless, and he is easily imitated. But other single panel cartoons just flat aren't as amusing usually.

Kelly's The Onion's political cartoonist.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grevling posted:

Kelly's The Onion's political cartoonist.

This never stops being funny.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

This never stops being funny.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Darth Brooks posted:

That needed to be printed in green for full effect. I love the "Honest Cartoonist" standing to the side fuming.

The "Honest Cartoonist" is the author's self-insert.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Spinz writing an angry letter to Kelly about being referred to as a "tart with no taste"

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I like the women ('tarts with no taste') swooning over the celebrity cartoonist.

edit:

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Spinz writing an angry letter to Kelly about being referred to as a "tart with no taste"

lol

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Oh God
:negative:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

If anything this just shows how ingenious Kelly's satire is and how ridiculous newspaper cartoons generally are, because people keep not getting it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It is totally understandable how someone not familiar with Kelly could mistake his work for yet another bad political cartoon.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

lol

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
The one where the guy has knocked on a door and the person answering is some weird creature and the guys like oh not again

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Enjoyed Ironically and Unironically.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

gleebster posted:

"The door us"?

"THE HO"

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I love having a lot of Kelly's work he just has the statue of liberty crying for no reason

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

I remember having a bunch of Far Side and Bloom County collections when I was 7 or 8, and I'd read those drat things daily. Far Side's still great, but I'm pretty sure Bloom County had some weird political poo poo going on and I don't know if it'd still hold up

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bloom county was predominantly political satire. So it's ability to hold up depends on your ability to remember the things it was lampooning. It did have a Donald Trump arc at the end that wound up strangely prophetic instead of the ludicrous nonsense it was intended as.

I'm pretty sure the cartoonist took it up again although I dont know if the reboot is still going.

E: looks like Opus ran from 03-08

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I dunno if I could read old political satire now. The HW Bush years were downright quaint compared to today. I can see myself going "heh, those sure were the days!" :smith: for a time that, at the time, was the shittiest things had ever been up to that point

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Bloom County is still occasionally updated on Facebook

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

One of my family members was a military instructor. On the first day of classes, his first powerpoint slide would be this with the sign photoshoped to [School's Name].

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I just looked at that Kelly cartoon taking the piss out of Larson again and it's just so loving good

Thriftwood
Dec 13, 2005

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Goodpancakes posted:

I just looked at that Kelly cartoon taking the piss out of Larson again and it's just so loving good

Kelly is legitimately America's best political cartoonist.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

there's like 4000 of these man, they can't all be amazing

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

zer0spunk posted:

there's like 4000 of these man, they can't all be amazing

the man don't miss

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

This was always one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
One for the treble.

Only registered members can see post attachments!