Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Problem description: Bit the bullet and installed Windows 10 from my old Windows 7 OS, using the thing where you do it for free. Everything seemed to be working fine until I tried watching a youtube video and noticed there wasn't any sound coming out of the speakers. The MSi Realtek Audio Manager detects the device being plugged in, the control panel shows the master volume bars working, none of the little doohickeys are muted, unplugging and replugging the wire makes that awful feedback noise, but not a single sound makes its way from the PC to the speaker. I did notice that Realtek Audio Manager no longer lets me test the device directly, which could be linked to the problem. Also the speaker doesn't seem to be detected by Windows in the "bluetooth and other devices" menu, but I don't know if it should be.

Attempted fixes: I googled and found some videos and followed their basic steps, which amounted to making sure nothing's muted or disabled. I contacted Windows tech support, they had me disable and enable audio devices, install drivers for my sound card, restart the computer several times, look up my motherboard specs, run auto-diagnostics of all kinds etc. The only conclusive result I got was the troubleshooter failing one of its tests by saying "audio services not responding".

Recent changes: Changed the OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

System specs:

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ok so I managed to fix it by plugging it in the computer's front speaker jacks. I have no idea why that worked.