Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

rannum posted:

When i say taken away for murder I mean it as a joke but... I'd be shocked if CDD didnt at least consider that Superpowered Teen Drama didn't lead to more than just going off alone that night, even if it's statistically unlikely.

Hell I doubt Cassidy was the only one in the city who suspected Undine of having something to do with her team's deaths; wouldn't surprise me if the CDD had to at least briefly consider it just as due diligence

I mean the thing is that Undine was also injured in the attack that killed her teammates and Tessa's testimony on what happened would match Undine's minus the whole power transfer that occurred. Cassidy's suspicions were filtered through her disdain that someone else was getting intimate with Kokoro and I would hope the adults of this world don't have the same vague and baseless suspicions that Undine was party too or responsible for her team's death. I do think they are fully aware of her pink eyes and what that means though since the CDD clearly knows more about how magical girl powers interact and can be inherited as we saw with the coverup for Kokoro's mother.

I don't think it's implausible that magical girls in this setting have committed crimes using their powers even including murder. But by that same token if this were an investigation to figure out if Undine killed Cassidy it's awfully casual and understaffed. Each of these girls are living weapons and they sent in a retired MG and maybe a second one (or just a normal human officer we don't know about Beth). I mean maybe the prosthetic arm doubles as a weapon or they are hoping that with a school full of other magical girls nobody will do something stupid, but a murder investigation for this would probably entail asking the MG in question to come to a special facility rather than a counseling room.

As for Cassidy; what I think the CDD knows at this stage is that she participates in the after school training program and she wasn't with her teammates the previous night because an argument broke out at said training. But since they didn't call for Undine first I don't think Bud specified what really happened to Cassidy's teammates as Minxing only thinks to call for her after Kokoro mentions it. I definitely think they suspect Cassidy just got picked off solo rather than murdered by Undine. Even if Bud had gone into full detail for Lettie, she would have mentioned that after Undine left Kokoro went after her and it's already a known thing that the two are basically teammates. Would be hard to suspect undine for murder if she was also with someone else although you could argue nobody saw the two of them together during their patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

One thing to keep in mind when discussing what the leadership of the society and cover-ups and conspiracies - this has been going on for at least one and very likely two or more generations. I don't recall anyone noting that HP's mom was among the first magical girls, and it seems like the status quo for magical girl civic defense was already in effect at that point. Which means that the original magical girls are likely at least in their 40s if not older - and thus likely to be pretty high up in the societal leadership schema themselves. As such, I think it's actually more likely that those older former MGs who've moved up the ladder in the due course of time are read into whatever the leaders of the city know about the situation. Now, there could still be a conspiracy at play, but it'd more likely be done by and with the support and approval of former MGs than anything else.

So while I'm sure there are investigations as a matter of course to make sure there's no foul play - and I'm sure Magical Girls have killed or injured others during such a long period of time - I don't see why there'd be particularized suspicion towards HP and Undine or any plans for a cover up over what happened to Cass.

Also, it's high school. Rumors would fly about an actual murder even in the case of a competent cover-up.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

habeasdorkus posted:

One thing to keep in mind when discussing what the leadership of the society and cover-ups and conspiracies - this has been going on for at least one and very likely two or more generations. I don't recall anyone noting that HP's mom was among the first magical girls, and it seems like the status quo for magical girl civic defense was already in effect at that point. Which means that the original magical girls are likely at least in their 40s if not older - and thus likely to be pretty high up in the societal leadership schema themselves. As such, I think it's actually more likely that those older former MGs who've moved up the ladder in the due course of time are read into whatever the leaders of the city know about the situation. Now, there could still be a conspiracy at play, but it'd more likely be done by and with the support and approval of former MGs than anything else.

So while I'm sure there are investigations as a matter of course to make sure there's no foul play - and I'm sure Magical Girls have killed or injured others during such a long period of time - I don't see why there'd be particularized suspicion towards HP and Undine or any plans for a cover up over what happened to Cass.

Also, it's high school. Rumors would fly about an actual murder even in the case of a competent cover-up.

My take on the conspiracy angle is that the government's mostly hiding that they have no idea how any of this works either. They're reliant on magical child soldiers and they clearly don't like it, given things like the quizzes they have Magical Girls fill out, but they also can't do anything about it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Joe Slowboat posted:

My take on the conspiracy angle is that the government's mostly hiding that they have no idea how any of this works either. They're reliant on magical child soldiers and they clearly don't like it, given things like the quizzes they have Magical Girls fill out, but they also can't do anything about it.

I think that's probably true, and all the more reason that they'd have a whole lot of ex-MGs working for them! But that's more of the "this is top secret, please don't let the people know how we're flying blind" type of government secrecy.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-24

That was a fast update.

Mingxing is going to be in the same role as Cho was in KB, isn't she?

E: Actually, probably Reed's considering they both lost limbs.

madjack fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 17, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I was wondering of the blue poster behind Kokoro would pan out to anything

madjack posted:

Mingxing is going to be in the same role as Cho was in KB, isn't she?
What's KB?

Potsticker
Jan 13, 2006

KiwiBlitz, another of the author's webcomics.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Potsticker posted:

KiwiBlitz, another of the author's webcomics.

Thanks, thought it was an anime reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 13, 2006

You may notice some familiar faces that made cameos earlier.