Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It was covered in ice for a panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
She seems really together for someone who had to do a self-amputation.

I wonder if her power was to split like the MF Enterprises Captain Marvel, but leaving the arm disconnected and encased in ice too long caused it to go gangrenous.

Edit: Alternative speculation, every time we've seen her in the comic, she's had an artificial arm.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 13, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

maltesh posted:

She seems really together for someone who had to do a self-amputation.

That seems less "together" and more "hyperfocusing out of sheer shock".

I can only assume that once she has got Kokoro to safety and herself into a hospital bed she's going to scream for hours.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Tenebrais posted:

That seems less "together" and more "hyperfocusing out of sheer shock".

I can only assume that once she has got Kokoro to safety and herself into a hospital bed she's going to scream for hours.

Bold of you to assume she ever stopped screaming.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ah. Read it on my phone, and did not take a close enough look at the arm. I interpreted it as a bloodless empty sleeve, rather than the ragged stump that is there.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I assume her arm was probably frostbitten from just above the elbow down. I think frostbite kind of removes all feeling from the area so, on the scale of rapid fire trauama going on, that was probably the easiest thing to deal with that night!

:smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
She's gotta be in shock, yeah.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ElMaligno posted:

Bold of you to assume she ever stopped screaming.

I mean, evidently she has stopped at some point since then.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mean, evidently she has stopped at some point since then.
Externally, yes

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I’m curious about the fact that Sunlight Spear’s eyes are a different color than her hair

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zeeman posted:

I’m curious about the fact that Sunlight Spear’s eyes are a different color than her hair

Orange is still part of her theme. Sally's worked much the same.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 14, 2021

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

Did we see Mingxing losing her arm in the previous Kokoro flashback?
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-28
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-29

Don't think so. So to be revealed?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-31

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia#Paradoxical_undressing

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Auntie Mingxing solves the Dyatlov Pass mystery

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
RIP my clicking through links skills

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
drat that alt text tho.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Honestly couldn't even chuckle at the alt text myself.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Man that page is brutal. Jesus christ.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Christ.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Considering what probably made that thunk noise....oof.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I just went back and re-read the bit where Kokoro tells Udine the story. Man that is just absolutely grim

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, the grim brutality of this story juxtaposes so well with the cartoony style and bright colors of the presentation. Maybe even more so than the bloody scenes from it's spiritual ancestors like Madoka. A lot of the time you're lulled by the colors and cute art, and then a page like this or the original fall of Team Alchemical happens and it hits like a truck how nasty this universe really is.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That bonnet/helmet is a great look. The costume design is and remains A+.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

That bonnet/helmet is a great look. The costume design is and remains A+.

Fitting since she has the best weapon of the group as well. Also a neat detail I didn't register on the new page is Starlight spear causing her weapon to disappear.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ooh, I didn't notice either, but that is a really cool detail!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
That whole “Mitsuki... She’s...” “Leanna!” That bit is the most “these girls are soldiers” bit of the whole story. Just that, “look that dude is dead and we can deal with it later, mourn later, but right now, we’re still in the fight.” kind of stuff.

And that’s all coming from the girl who just lost her arm, jesus

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I think the fact that Kokoro has gone quiet would really focus most people's priorities, not just a soldier's. But yeah, it's definitely an intense moment.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Permalink.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mingxing has a cool transformation.

Quick reminder in case you've forgotten, she has some sort of super-speed power, which is why it's on her to take Kokoro to hospital.

And also hopefully taking herself to hospital too. You've lost an arm, girl!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Huh. If you need medical attention after 10pm, and you're unable to let the Magical Girls know, or they can't get to you, you'll have to wait until 2AM.

That could get pretty dicey.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

maltesh posted:

Huh. If you need medical attention after 10pm, and you're unable to let the Magical Girls know, or they can't get to you, you'll have to wait until 2AM.

That could get pretty dicey.

Presumably that’s another reason for emergency flares in houses— even if there isn’t a breach any MG nearby will see it and come running, and they can get whoever needs help somewhere.

Though I guess that begs the question of can any old person just get outside during that time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Presumably that’s another reason for emergency flares in houses— even if there isn’t a breach any MG nearby will see it and come running, and they can get whoever needs help somewhere.

Though I guess that begs the question of can any old person just get outside during that time.

The hospital Vekna works at had sliding doors that opened with no effort. I think the only concern is leaving a doorway open too long and causing the barrier to not close creating a vulnerability.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Transformation panels kick rear end and I’m glad there’s so few of them so that when we do see them it’s always awesome

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-34

Guess her injuries & exertion made it go from from "ran out of magic" to permanently run out of magic.

Wonder when we'll touch base with Leana.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So this is twice now that we’ve seen MGs lose their powers from pushing themselves super hard to save someone else. I wonder if that’s a side effect if just using too much at one time or just a “you’ve done enough” sort of thing from the powers that be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bussamove posted:

So this is twice now that we’ve seen MGs lose their powers from pushing themselves super hard to save someone else. I wonder if that’s a side effect if just using too much at one time or just a “you’ve done enough” sort of thing from the powers that be.
I don't think it's the latter, since the goddess who gives the dreams has been explicitly shown trying to reach out to her again and being repelled.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

girl dick energy posted:

I don't think it's the latter, since the goddess who gives the dreams has been explicitly shown trying to reach out to her again and being repelled.

That doesn’t necessarily prove a negative here.

She reached out and was repelled after they ceased to be a magical girl. That just tells us they can’t protect the dreams of non-magical girls, it says nothing about whether they can withdraw magical girl powers or not

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

That doesn’t necessarily prove a negative here.

She reached out and was repelled after they ceased to be a magical girl. That just tells us they can’t protect the dreams of non-magical girls, it says nothing about whether they can withdraw magical girl powers or not
If the powers that be had decided "you've done enough now", and take her ability to transform away, why would she then try to give it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

girl dick energy posted:

If the powers that be had decided "you've done enough now", and take her ability to transform away, why would she then try to give it back?

She isn't. The scene with her and Tessa is fairly unambiguously her lamenting her inability to protect Tessa's dreams, as she is no longer a magical girl.