Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Tenebrais posted:

From the outside it would be really easy to dismiss Undine's experiences as grief-induced exaggerations, or even hallucinations. It's probably an easier sell than there being a person in the walls that can tactically direct monsters, that appears to have it out for Undine for some reason.

I think it comes down to whether she mentioned Kokoro getting the threatening call about her mother. Kokoro isn't under the same kind of emotional strain, and Mingxing of all people knows exactly how significant it is.

I think at worst, Mingxing will accept the story but call the evidence presented to her as circumstantial. The girls don't have concrete evidence to present her that goop exists, but Mingxing cannot just brush it off and call it a coping mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

I think it's entirely possible that Mingxing will believe them, especially if the detail of the phone call Kokoro got comes up, but whatever Powers That Be that Mingxing works for won't want the public to know about it and will have a "Undine is just paranoid" talking point planned if need be.

That said, I don't think that's terribly likely either. Honestly, not sure precisely how this will go down.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

cropoval posted:

I think it's entirely possible that Mingxing will believe them, especially if the detail of the phone call Kokoro got comes up, but whatever Powers That Be that Mingxing works for won't want the public to know about it and will have a "Undine is just paranoid" talking point planned if need be.

That said, I don't think that's terribly likely either. Honestly, not sure precisely how this will go down.

It will be interesting to see how the system reacts to this information, whether they do not know or if they DO know.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The way the comic's themes have developed, I'd expect Mingxing to believe them...and it doesn't actually change anything. Because, at the end of the day, the kids are still the ones with the superpowers.

Even if the authorities want to help, no one else can fight this war but the MGs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

The way the comic's themes have developed, I'd expect Mingxing to believe them...and it doesn't actually change anything. Because, at the end of the day, the kids are still the ones with the superpowers.

Even if the authorities want to help, no one else can fight this war but the MGs.

Big twist at the end is that Goops is actually super weak to regular bullets

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean for all we know the higher ups are aware of Goops and possibly even the golden animal. The latter of which has already been seen by multiple magical girls and who knows who else?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think that if there's a "the adults cannot save you" twist it's going to be that Mingxing's memories of the conversation are going to be deleted. We've already seen that the Woman in White can erase memories both in and out of dreams, so if this situation is something that someone powerful wants to keep secret to everyone but magical girls, then that would be a powerful way to do it.

Bonus horror points if it happens in front of Undine and Kokoro.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My bet is that it will be a long long time until we find out what the higher ups in the government know and think about anything.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah I don't think it's a coincidence that this meeting started with Mingxing pointing out she doesn't even have two functioning hands without MG assistance.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Unlucky7 posted:

It will be interesting to see how the system reacts to this information, whether they do not know or if they DO know.

A reminder, "the system" at this point is going to be run largely by ex-Magical Girls themselves.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

habeasdorkus posted:

A reminder, "the system" at this point is going to be run largely by ex-Magical Girls themselves.

Well, the system is kinda screwed up here so...

Well, you are right, we do not know if things are THAT hosed up in the city currently :v:

EDIT: Removed an impromptu embarrassing rant

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 23, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, the system as far as we've seen seems to be well intentioned and working with a bad hand they don't fully understand. It'll be interesting to see if there's conspiracies underneath or if they genuinely dont know poo poo and how they react to that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-26

Mingxing is a great character.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Turn out that goop girls are trivially easy to handle and the whole thing would have been solved in 15 minutes, if they had spoken with an adult.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kennel posted:

Turn out that goop girls are trivially easy to handle and the whole thing would have been solved in 15 minutes, if they had spoken with an adult.

next chapter: The End Of Goops

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Kokoro suddenly getting very bitter and defensive.

:suspense:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Her Aunt just made her gf sad. That will not do.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
It's worth noting that this isn't out of left field at all: we've already seen some of Kokoro's bitterness towards the government during the scene where she explains her backstory to Undine on the rooftop. She seems a bit jaded about them, between how they avoid talking about things like basic magical girl biology poo poo to preserve their image...

... and how they easily snapped up a vulnerable young teen (preteen?) who had just gotten her powers and was arguing with her single father, to take advantage of those powers for their own benefit.

So she definitely has established reasons to mistrust the CDD, and to feel pessimistic about the possibility of them taking action here, given how much they care about preserving the image of perfect magical girls. An evil anti-magical girl doesn't really gel with that image.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

It's worth noting that this isn't out of left field at all: we've already seen some of Kokoro's bitterness towards the government during the scene where she explains her backstory to Undine on the rooftop. She seems a bit jaded about them, between how they avoid talking about things like basic magical girl biology poo poo to preserve their image...

... and how they easily snapped up a vulnerable young teen (preteen?) who had just gotten her powers and was arguing with her single father, to take advantage of those powers for their own benefit.

So she definitely has established reasons to mistrust the CDD, and to feel pessimistic about the possibility of them taking action here, given how much they care about preserving the image of perfect magical girls. An evil anti-magical girl doesn't really gel with that image.

This is true, but she also acts like this with nearly every adult and/or authority figure she comes across from her RA to the nurse who gave her the paper to write a note to Undine at the hospital. Judging from the look on her face she hasn't talked to her dad in a long time either.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

So she definitely has established reasons to mistrust the CDD, and to feel pessimistic about the possibility of them taking action here, given how much they care about preserving the image of perfect magical girls.
Somebody get that goon a cigar!

Edit: Hell, that’s not even the only legitimate reason Kokoro has for being upset here. Hot tip, Mingxing. Don’t respond to a girl clearly making a gesture of good will and opening up to you by criticizing her for not opening up sooner.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 29, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This just loops back to Undine warning the other magical girls. The story well substantiates why both Kokoro and Undine (and even Tessa) are hesitant to bring this topic up to anyone but in doing so something can be done and the makings of a counter strategy can be formed. The CDD are still the ones overseeing all of these kids and now that they can be made aware of what's going on something is bound to change. At the very least they can issue some mandates like "no solo operations no matter what" and tightening up the rules regarding patrol routes and check-ins.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I can see both how Minxing probably didn't intend to criticize Undine (this came up basically as expressing surprise, and reassuring that she wasn't doubting Undine), and how Kokoro would absolutely see it to be criticism.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-28

Mingxing ships it, as do we all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Good job Undine, that's some good Moderating Partner Influence

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's a good thing, these teammates like each other.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Gals being pals.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

Gals being pals.

Smooching, as pals do.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New page
New favorite poster. "Ogre Achiever".

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Time to start an "All my friends are dead" support group

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This better not be the last we see of eggbaby.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ashcans posted:

This better not be the last we see of eggbaby.

Alt-text foreshadowing the Goops/Eggybaby team-up that will destroy the magical girls once and for all.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

New page.

Wasn't expecting a Mingxing immediately-post-dismemberment flashback :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Poor Mingxing is somewhere between adrenaline fuelled grim determination and a grief fuelled daze. Absolutely heartbreaking how focused and yet also not all there she seems.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Looks like she could use a hand moving that dresser.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

:smith:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Doesn't help that Mitsuki is giving her the cold shoulder

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Poor Mingxing is somewhere between adrenaline fuelled grim determination and a grief fuelled daze. Absolutely heartbreaking how focused and yet also not all there she seems.

She looks so cold, in a way she's competely ignoring.

The summer clothes don't help.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Potsticker posted:

The alt text is way ahead of you :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The alt text is way ahead of you :v:

fuuuuuuuuck, I was so proud of my joke I didn't even check OTZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Did we see Mingxing losing her arm in the previous Kokoro flashback?