Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It would probably be in bad form for me to vote for Zoe five times so I picked a few others to fill it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1284404948244082688

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I did not see that coming. :swoon:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

This comic is like the webnovel Worm if Worm was cute and grimdark instead of grimdark and grimdark.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Apraxin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9QiXOWy0s

Mary/Cube's said a couple of times that this is a big Cassidy Mood song. Dunno if it goes any deeper than that.

You'd think after reading kiwi blitz i'd figure out this was a song lyric and not some oblique lore reference to being a magical girl

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cute and grimdark is much more compelling to me, so I'm a fan.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Theory on future chapters/pages:

Cut over to: Tessa goes with Goops that night after the writing on her window. Goops brings her to see Undine kissing HP. Tessa decides to join Goops and gets new powers from Goops after that, now that Woman in White cannot reach Tessa.

Tessa either kills or seriously injures HP in a future chapter, setting up a fight chapter against Undine.

I love spoilertheories but will gladly shut my face if they're not welcome in the thread.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I could see the first part happening, especially if Goops plays up Tessa's "see, now you aren't needed at all, don't you miss being needed" issues.

I do not see the second part happening. Seems a bit fridgy, you know? And I don't think Cagle wants to to start fridging people for cheap hit. What happened to Team Alchemical had weight and is the framing device for the story, and what happened to Cass may have further implications, but "Tessa wrecks HP which gets a rise out of Undine" feels less than great.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

MechaCrash posted:

I could see the first part happening, especially if Goops plays up Tessa's "see, now you aren't needed at all, don't you miss being needed" issues.

I do not see the second part happening. Seems a bit fridgy, you know? And I don't think Cagle wants to to start fridging people for cheap hit. What happened to Team Alchemical had weight and is the framing device for the story, and what happened to Cass may have further implications, but "Tessa wrecks HP which gets a rise out of Undine" feels less than great.

Re: second part: Honestly, I can see it happening, but certainly not permadeath. After all, "Heartless Punch" is right there for a temporary corruption arc!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Niton posted:

Re: second part: Honestly, I can see it happening, but certainly not permadeath. After all, "Heartless Punch" is right there for a temporary corruption arc!
Not gonna spoiler it cause it's only a fan comic, but their evil names are actualy Hurtful Punch and Wandine Unwells :v:

For real though, if Cube's spent five years building up to a canonical gay protagonist couple and then murks one of them, I'll be more surprised than I've ever been by any work of fiction before.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I do not see Tessa fighting Undine or killing/maiming HP as a thing that happens because Tessa and Undine were actual close friends, being friends prior to their power acquisition, and Tessa literally gave up her powers to save Undine's life. I expect that Tessa will continue to feel isolated and depressed, but it would some radical turnabout from 'I gave up all this to save your life' to 'ok I guess I'm going to kill you now'. It seems much more likely to me that either Goop is hoping to capture/hurt Tessa as a way to further torment Undine.

Also Undine has continued to try and get a hold of Tessa repeatedly the last time we touched on that aspect, so it's not even like she's abandoned her or anything. I am not sure where the Goop focus on Tessa is going but I don't think it's that direction.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The truth of if Undine is abandoning Tessa isn't relevant. What matters is if Tessa thinks that's the case. And as we all know, depressionGoops is an insidious liar.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

The truth of if Undine is abandoning Tessa isn't relevant. What matters is if Tessa thinks that's the case. And as we all know, depressionGoops is an insidious liar.

Agreed there; depression (do I spoiler this? The thread's two pages old but the comic is 15 chapters long) isn't rational. It doesn't have to make sense to people outside the influence.

Okay, maybe she dead. :(

Sundae fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 19, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Tessa’s gonna get powers back somehow and will heroically murk goops before dying to save Udine and Kokoro.

Or Kokoro will fight goops one on one and will get to say “I’m gonna Heartful punch the poo poo out of you.”

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I think I had a theory re: a connection between Goops, Tessa, Undine and Team Alchemical at large, but it's faded away like a dream...

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sundae posted:

Okay, maybe she dead. :(
Maybe I'm being dense and :thejoke:, but that sketch is HP and Undine doing an Utena homage, not a death joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYqe8ju6GlU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Apraxin posted:

Maybe I'm being dense and :thejoke:, but that sketch is HP and Undine doing an Utena homage, not a death joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYqe8ju6GlU

Nah, you're not being dense. It's me not knowing poo poo about other media and mistaking which character was being drawn for one of them too. :haw: I interpreted sword-holder as scissorgirl and knew nothing of Utena.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm going to make the argument against putting spoiler tags around speculation. If you're basing your theory on the same comic panels we've all read, go ahead and post it in the open, no matter how sure you are that your prediction will come true.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I completely agree. If you have some insider information on future developments, then that deserves spoiler tags. If you're just analyzing or making predictions, there is no reason to do so.

Plus we are off the first page now, so I think it is fair to assume that anyone reading this is ok with discussion that assumes you have read everything that is out so far.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If being the thread creator gives me any authority on it, there's no need to spoiler-tag speculation and there's no need to spoiler-tag the story either unless you're talking about a page that only just went up.

I reckon we're going to see a chapter about Tessa next because all of the other protagonists are in a pretty good place right now. Rue and Zoe are working together and benefiting from it, and Undine and Kokoro have got together and there's room for a delay before the chickens come home to roost about Cassidy (since no one will know what happened to her). Meanwhile Tessa has this big dangling plot thread about Goops offering her something, and that was three chapters ago.
It's really hard to imagine what she might want out of her, though, since her only motivation so far has been killing magical girls and as bad a place as Tessa is in she's got no reason to want to be a part of that.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

My thoughts on when you can stop using spoiler tags is basically to use tags for the first few posts after a "hey guys new page" type post, so that someone finding out there's a new page via this thread will not immediately get spoiled. If you find out there's a new page and keep scrolling down instead of pausing to read one page, buddy, that's on you. I guess maybe if you're at work or otherwise doing something where you can't go to the site to read the page, but in that case, why are you browsing Something Awful?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I look forward to the followup sketch where undine is using her powers as a carwash.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Fun comic. My wild theory is that this is an Attack on Titan sort of situation and most of the world is fine, and the city and surroundings is some weird hellscape. Mark's journal comments on "the locals" and how messed up everything is, even the weather, so he's clearly from somewhere outside that presumably doesn't have to deal with kids regularly getting murdered. Plus he has a (faulty) monster detecting rat and some technomagical grenades, which presumably wouldn't be common in a place where everything gets handled by the kids.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Frankly, I have no trust in any organistion structure that happily browbeats children into national service, sends them out into a forever war against beings that haunt the diseased mind of Lovecraft and then makes merchendise out of them.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

If being the thread creator gives me any authority on it, there's no need to spoiler-tag speculation and there's no need to spoiler-tag the story either unless you're talking about a page that only just went up.

I reckon we're going to see a chapter about Tessa next because all of the other protagonists are in a pretty good place right now. Rue and Zoe are working together and benefiting from it, and Undine and Kokoro have got together and there's room for a delay before the chickens come home to roost about Cassidy (since no one will know what happened to her). Meanwhile Tessa has this big dangling plot thread about Goops offering her something, and that was three chapters ago.
It's really hard to imagine what she might want out of her, though, since her only motivation so far has been killing magical girls and as bad a place as Tessa is in she's got no reason to want to be a part of that.

My guess is she just wants to straight up kill Tessa and Tessa has a death wish right now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I interpreted the message on the window as "If you want to die, I would be glad to kill you."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I just want to drive-by say how much I love that the setting is extremely queer-positive. We've had examples of lesbians, bisexuals, and trans girls (no gays or trans boys yet but that's kinda due to the fact that there are exactly zero male main characters), and no one bats an eyelid at it; the only "problem" was Zoe's parents going "Bloody hell we thought we were done with worrying if our child would come home in the morning or not when our first daughter aged out of the magical girl system but SURPRISE we have another daughter!" which is fully undestandable.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Mikl posted:

I just want to drive-by say how much I love that the setting is extremely queer-positive. We've had examples of lesbians, bisexuals, and trans girls (no gays or trans boys yet but that's kinda due to the fact that there are exactly zero male main characters), and no one bats an eyelid at it; the only "problem" was Zoe's parents going "Bloody hell we thought we were done with worrying if our child would come home in the morning or not when our first daughter aged out of the magical girl system but SURPRISE we have another daughter!" which is fully undestandable.

That scene with Zoe's parents was one of my favorites scenes. All the stuff with parents in this comic is really good. Undine's Mom feeling she has no right to say anything about Undine's magic girl related choices? It's heartbreaking, but it fits perfectly with how this society is set up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Daw. This most recent update is adorable.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just binged this over the past 2-3 days, and wanted to make sure everyone knew that Zoe is the best.

Sundae posted:

Nah, you're not being dense. It's me not knowing poo poo about other media and mistaking which character was being drawn for one of them too. :haw: I interpreted sword-holder as scissorgirl and knew nothing of Utena.

Oddly enough, your post actually still kind of made sense to me as an extension of the Tessa Heel Turn theorizing, because (Utena spoilers) the series ends with Utena (the character)... well, not dead necessarily, but... missing? Possibly erased from existence? But also maybe not? Look, Utena is weird.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I interpreted the message on the window as "If you want to die, I would be glad to kill you."

The reason I'm not interpreting it like that is because of the line with Scissorgirl / Goops on Ch15-P24. " Always so angry. It's too bad you're one of hers. We might have gotten along."

That's where I'm getting the Goops-turns-Tessa thing. Tessa is no longer one of Woman in White's magical girls (and WiW can't even reach her now). She was the strongest of the alchemicals, is suffering from depression, and is having horrible nightmares (likely from Goops, and which can't be stopped by WiW like she did with Undine's nightmare). It makes her either a great potential heel-turn character, or alternatively (though this feels lazier to me IMO) decent bait for Undine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sundae posted:

The reason I'm not interpreting it like that is because of the line with Scissorgirl / Goops on Ch15-P24. " Always so angry. It's too bad you're one of hers. We might have gotten along."

One shouldn't necessarily ascribe too much genuineness to her taunts.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Voted Ms. Cable, Zoe, Undine, Goops, and Steffi.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Anemone brings the exposition today.

Based on her reaction, I think that "dark magical girls" are not going to turn out to be a thing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cassidy's dead, go home.

This is the second person that commented that her death was weird or at least atypical. That said, I think it will be a while for her to come back if she turns out to be alive.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 22, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thinking back to Interstitial 5, Anemone seems to have settled on the idea that the system can't last. I kind of get the impression it's not entirely due to Goops, but that could be read either way.

Still. I look forward to the rest of the story, now things are starting to kick up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tenebrais posted:

Thinking back to Interstitial 5, Anemone seems to have settled on the idea that the system can't last. I kind of get the impression it's not entirely due to Goops, but that could be read either way.

Still. I look forward to the rest of the story, now things are starting to kick up.

I would imagine it's because having two gods duke it out with child soldiers is probably not a super cool thing to do.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

fyi, from Patreon: the next page will have also the results of the popularity poll, so get your vote in soon if you haven't already.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

With the way Cassidy went out, I am pretty sure she's dead, but the circumstances are weird enough that if she comes back somehow, I will not call foul. Since maybe she's not actually dead because of the weird way she unwound, or maybe she unwound like that because c'mon we're not doing Spec Ops Asuka or Magical Girl Site or whatever grimderp bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Anemone is saying, as literally as she can, "readers, please be aware that Cassidy is loving dead." There's no game here.