Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Sleepless Domain is in no small part about the consequences of avoiding thinking too hard about the material consequences of an unsustainable system of sacrificing young girls on the altar of being child soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
One of the things I like about SD is that the girls still have comedy and romance in their lives. I couldn't read this if it didn't. And anyway even in the world wars, down in the trenches, they still had their jokes (and some people were super, super gay).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Been a while since we saw Ratman. I'd love his perspective on things especially with the barrier fuckup from last night.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Brought To You By posted:

Been a while since we saw Ratman. I'd love his perspective on things especially with the barrier fuckup from last night.

Speaking of which.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-5-page-30

He literally, textually says "child soldiers". The next page has Undine saying "We're not kids, we're magical girls" to underline it's not just one guy's cynicism.

I'm not arguing you're in here to call the comic problematic or something, but this is the reason people are genuinely kind of confused about what you're trying to say, blacksocks.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the comedy, romance and action is still fun, in the context of a hosed-up situation. I can understand the instinct that you need to have a protective wall there, but I think the war stories analogy is accurate -- the contrast is believable and doesn't make the nice parts any less nice.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
A society that is convinced it is a good and noble collective sacrifice would absolutely send their teenage daughters into it, for the most part with enthusiasm, and those daughters would likewise be mostly enthusiastic, at least initially:

This was real! Millions of children were in it, even from families tortured and killed by other youths in the same movement, never mind purple goop horrors from beyond the veil! "But y'all are child soldiers" would be a criticism met with bafflement in that situation, I think.

All that said, it's not very relatable narrative material to Average Reader Of Online Mahou Comics perhaps, so I doubt it's steering the narrative ship that way. I think.

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 3, 2023

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I feel like the jump from “the magical girls are explicitly child soldiers under a glittering kayfabe of idol/pop culture” to “Mao’s ‘great leap forward’ killed and tortured millions of real people, including patriotic teenage girls, and this applies to the worldbuilding of an online magical girl comic” is a bit… of an escalation :confused:

Anyway, I’m pretty sure this worldbuilding is drawing a lot from series like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers where magical girls are straight up an anti-terrorism squad with bonus PTSD, just like the magical girls always seemed very Precure to me with the matching thematic teams (cure sunshine/moonlight etc), plus I always thought Heartful Punch’s design drew costume and fighting style inspiration direct from Pretty Cure Max Heart.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I've been on an Animorphs kick as of late and I see this comic falling into the same sort of genre — teenaged protagonists fighting a literal war using incredible powers they never asked for, enduring very explicit psychological trauma along the way.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
There's no need for denial - if it is perceived as a noble contribution for a righteous cause, people will do it. If it's not actually all that dangerous, it may run on for many decades without backlash and disillusionment. People still show up to uniformed youth groups today.

Point is, a sense of a really dangerous magical threat dominating the A-plot undermines Tessa's conflict. She's the only one that shows up to the strategy meeting in chap1. Obviously it's a little self-serving if the one who is really powerful also insists that the threat is really dangerous (therefore listen to what I tell you to do), but then this theme is undermined if the threat then does become really dangerous. So some kind of spanner in the Spectre of Stressa seems imminent.

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 3, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've been on an Animorphs kick as of late and I see this comic falling into the same sort of genre — teenaged protagonists fighting a literal war using incredible powers they never asked for, enduring very explicit psychological trauma along the way.

My favorite YA book series filled with actual war crimes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
An extreme and non-germane nitpick, but the Red Guards were a part of the Cultural Revolution, which took place ~5-10 years after the Great Leap Forward. :eng101:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sleepless Domain's exact influences is an interesting question. Having listened to a lot of Mary Cagle's anime podcast, I doubt it's StrikerS because I don't think she'd seen anything of Nanoha when she started SD, and to this day I'm not sure she's even seen A's. PreCure seems like a no-brainer, yeah, though iirc a major goal with SD is to write a post-Madoka magical girl story that isn't gratuitously edgy, doesn't do fan service, and tries to have good representation. Post-post-Madoka, I guess, although I don't think she's trying to create a movement or anything.

Judging by the way they talk on their podcast, there might also be a dash of "what if RWBY was actually good" but I don't know anything about RWBY and I wouldn't know it if I saw it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Sleepless Domain's exact influences is an interesting question. Having listened to a lot of Mary Cagle's anime podcast, I doubt it's StrikerS because I don't think she'd seen anything of Nanoha when she started SD, and to this day I'm not sure she's even seen A's. PreCure seems like a no-brainer, yeah, though iirc a major goal with SD is to write a post-Madoka magical girl story that isn't gratuitously edgy, doesn't do fan service, and tries to have good representation. Post-post-Madoka, I guess, although I don't think she's trying to create a movement or anything.

Judging by the way they talk on their podcast, there might also be a dash of "what if RWBY was actually good" but I don't know anything about RWBY and I wouldn't know it if I saw it.

there was definitely parts where feen just starts calling her out on similarities to rwby that come up as she has no retort other than "shut up this is bullying"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Which, to be fair, it absolutely is.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ragnar34 posted:

there's... similarities. RWBY's first few seasons were set in an academy for super powered teens learning to become hunters, who fight monsters that are an existential level of threat, with humanity largely confined to walled city-states.

however, this basic premise also describes Attack on Titan, mostly. Probably others, as well.

But there's tonal/aesthetic similarities between RWBY and SD, with bright colours and fanciful costumes, a cutesy facade over darker subject matter. Except yeah, RWBY squanders pretty much all the interesting aspects and is just... bad, and poorly made and poorly written.

Also, and I think Mary would agree, the protagonists of RWBY are absolutely the villains in the last few seasons, and the show does not acknowledge this at all. (Like, hey the magic artifact the bad guys are after is in a magic vault that the bad guys haven't actually shown they can get inside of... we're going to take it out, and don't have a plan where to put it. Also, it's a load bearing magical artifact, and removing it will cause the floating city to collapse. Don't worry, we'll evacuate the civilians... oh woops, the antagonists attacked in order to get the artifact, putting them in danger. ps. where did we evacuate the civilians to? A desert full of monsters)

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 4, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zoe starting to regret joining the frontlines

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

You see me now a veteran of a thousand mahou wars

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SardonicTyrant posted:

You see me now a veteran of a thousand mahou wars

Pretty good slogan for their podcast.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1623903832706060288

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ah, so that's where Cassidy poofed to. Not dead or somehow outside the barrier, she just got digitized.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nimby posted:

Ah, so that's where Cassidy poofed to. Not dead or somehow outside the barrier, she just got digitized.

Isekai claims another victim, a fate worse than death. At least she isn't stuck in some reverse-harem story.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

It's a great fate, all things considered. Now she gets to pet Baba :kimchi:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I think I've said this before, but I like to think she got Isekai'ed into Kingdom hearts, formed the Traverse Town Restoration Committee with Barret and the other members of AVALANCHE, and has a rivalry with Yuffie w/r/t who can do cool parkour.

Also some incomprehensible plot where she has to fight her other half to regain her memories and return home but ends up having to sacrifice that to save the world and just live with her new found family and ninja girlfriend.

No I only write fanfic in my head.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 11, 2023

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

thechosenone posted:

No I only write fanfic in my head.

You prove yourself a coward

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Ragnar34 posted:

You prove yourself a coward

You are correct. @me when Mary has commissions open somewhere and I'll totally shell out for some Kingdom hearts Cassidy though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

thechosenone posted:

You are correct. @me when Mary has commissions open somewhere and I'll totally shell out for some Kingdom hearts Cassidy though.

Patreon rewards are monthly drawing suggestions that she picks 4~ popular ones to do, Kingdom Hearts Cassidy feels like one a lot of people would vote for.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Would KH Cassidy have two keys on the end of her scissors or just have a shitload of Nomura-style zippers on top of her normal look?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Would KH Cassidy have two keys on the end of her scissors or just have a shitload of Nomura-style zippers on top of her normal look?

Yes.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

GodFish posted:

Patreon rewards are monthly drawing suggestions that she picks 4~ popular ones to do, Kingdom Hearts Cassidy feels like one a lot of people would vote for.

I have sent 150 Munny to attempt to entice this result. I will not rest until Cassidy is done justice.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Incorrect. She would have two χ-Blades in scissor format. Scissors on scissors Kupo!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-21-page-11

They keep making sensible sounding decisions, are they sure they are protagonists

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I wonder if Mingxing will get to them before they do the announcement tonight. Swap clues before going on air; she was investigating in the archives so she might have found something useful to share.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

rannum posted:

I wonder if Mingxing will get to them before they do the announcement tonight. Swap clues before going on air; she was investigating in the archives so she might have found something useful to share.

I feel like almost certainly they will. I mean, most people think of the monsters as just that, monsters. Just wild beasts. Telling people that there is one that is acting with purpose, can direct other monsters, and (so far) can't be stopped will cause mass panic. But saying that the monster might also be a dark magical girl is gonna also cause mass paranoia.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I feel like almost certainly they will. I mean, most people think of the monsters as just that, monsters. Just wild beasts. Telling people that there is one that is acting with purpose, can direct other monsters, and (so far) can't be stopped will cause mass panic. But saying that the monster might also be a dark magical girl is gonna also cause mass paranoia.

Alternatively, she gets killed on her way to tell them and hobo guy who was researching the barrier sees it, bringing him back into the plot again. He writes a letter to Cassidy, who... :suicide:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1627924267663851520

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Man, gently caress ALS.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

thechosenone posted:

I have sent 150 Munny to attempt to entice this result. I will not rest until Cassidy is done justice.

I don't usually get to watch Cube's streams, but I caught about fifteen minutes of the last drawing one, and that was long enough to hear that she had accepted the bribe of the Something Awful thread and would be drawing Cassidy "soon".

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

I don't usually get to watch Cube's streams, but I caught about fifteen minutes of the last drawing one, and that was long enough to hear that she had accepted the bribe of the Something Awful thread and would be drawing Cassidy "soon".

Oh poo poo I need to see if there's a recording!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
https://twitch.tv/videos/1752853091

Around 2:25:10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
:sickos:

I-sei-kai! I-sei-kai! I-sei-kai!