Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rue
Zoe
Vedika
Kokoro
Ruemom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Sad to say, I think this is the end of the workout club. We've noted before the symbols on the top of the page are Undine, Kokoro, Tessa, Zoe, and Rue. Bud, Harley, and Vedika aren't represented. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that we're about to see the whole group break up leaving only Undine, HP, and Zoe...which will bring in Rue sooner or later. And then we'll have to see what's going on with Tessa.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Which brings us to an interesting point. Goops may be selecting her targets (consciously or otherwise) based on emotional turmoil. Team Alchemical were in dark places emotionally when they got attacked, and Undine was still shattered from losing her team the next two times that Goops showed up. Then Rue was upset from a fight with her parents the next time, and we know Cassidy was all messed up after the confrontation with the training club when Goops found her.

I'm thinking Goops is attracted to negative emotions, so going out while upset is how you get gooped.

e: While reading back through to check Goop's appearances, I also noticed this sneaky bit of foreshadowing...

...where-in on the night she dies, Cassidy declares that "...I'm never exercising again." About which she is totally correct!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 27, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Kennel posted:

It's a sad and little known fact that about 70% of the Magical Girl fatalities are caused by other MGs.

If we consider Goops a Magical Girl, then 100% of the MG fatalities we've seen were caused by one!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Even Mitsuki?

Given that Goops mentions her mom's death to Kokoro during the intimidation phone call, I don't think we can rule it out. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-2

I see Rue's native skepticism is acting up again.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 20, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-8

A new page is out.

Poor Vedika. I'm not sure I'd want to strengthen them either given how she's seen how accidentally peeking into someone's mind, even vaguely, can complicate everything. All that on top of the unpleasantness that is "I physically cannot touch anyone in my transformed state without poo poo getting weird."

See I get that, but I think that they're really underestimating the usefulness of secure long range battle communications. If they can get Vedika's powers working more reliably she could end up being one of the most useful members of the group, even if she never kills a single monster.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

nimby posted:

They're young teenage magical girls. They're still in the mindset that punching/stabbing things is the best approach, if at first it doesn't work just punch/stab harder.

Well here's hoping that growing out of that mindset is part of how the story develops. Being willing to talk it out and share data is a good first step towards that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

flatluigi posted:

huh, I didn't even realize this was a thing

https://sleeplessdomain.fandom.com/wiki/The_Code

I already considered this one of the deeper webcomics out there and you spring this on me? drat, now I'm going to be staring at wall shapes for hours! :doh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Actually, considering how horrified HP was when she learned Cassidy attacked Undine ("You attacked her with your WEAPON?") makes it seem that HP at least considers seriously fighting another Magical Girl to be unthinkable, so tat's probably been drilled into them from very early on.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

You know, the grim brutality of this story juxtaposes so well with the cartoony style and bright colors of the presentation. Maybe even more so than the bloody scenes from it's spiritual ancestors like Madoka. A lot of the time you're lulled by the colors and cute art, and then a page like this or the original fall of Team Alchemical happens and it hits like a truck how nasty this universe really is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

a computing pun posted:

wait also, what, the lighting's completely fine? the sunlight is obviously coming from almost straight up (ie it's close to noon) but also from an angle somewhat behind Tessa and very slightly to her left / Undine's right? the shadow on the ground in panel 6 isn't Undine's shadow, it's the shadow of the big magical girl statue. honestly confused what is even being complained about here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inOmUh1AebE

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Why that isn't ominous at all!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

Is that facial hair? I thought he was cleanshaven, but with an unfortunate beard pattern of dark bristles under pale skin.

Normally that kind of shading indicates a 5 o'clock shadow, but it seems too well styled for that. If I had to guess, I'd say he's in the early stages of trying to grow a beard, but it hasn't fully come in yet.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

relitigate is a weird word to use with one's teenage daughter

Kokoro's dad may be a bit of a nerd.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Um, Tessa, I don't think that's entirely safe....

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Oh, dear.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com//chapter-18-page-28

I doubt she's going to take that well.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

The alt text always disappears when goops is on screen. It's afraid of her.

Holy poo poo, how did I never notice that before?

Here's Goops' first appearance: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-2-page-16

....and here's Goops distracting Undine in battle: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-8-page-31

...and yeah, no alt text at all! Nice catch!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Aw, poo poo. C'mon Tessa, pull up, PULL UP! :pray:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Tessa didn't pull up. :cripes:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Zoe, Rue, Kokoro, Bud, Tessa for me, thanks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

Do you think it’s that the WiW just sometimes gives a girl more power than usual, or that some girls are more receptive to, well the dream I guess, and that’s why Tessa seems OP? I mean, Tessa didn’t seem to train or anything either like the rest of Team Alchemical, so if she has the same level of training and experience as the rest of the team (technically less experience since she got the dream last and spends most of the fights charging up) she is very clearly significantly more powerful than them. So how does that happen?

Also is her getting the dream last the reason she got stronger powers? The WiW wanted to do that for her since she felt left out with her friend group?

That is a very good question. We know why Kokoro has stronger powers....it's because her mom's powers help fuel Kokoro's native ones....but no one's ever said why Tessa so grossly outclassed the rest of her team, only that she did. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

It appears the background text is shifting from Tessa begging to be freed and generally Not Having a Good Time to lines like “I HATE YOU ALL”

In that we're getting Goop's memories bleeding in, I think we're also getting her thoughts and feelings there as well. IE, she's filled with hatred and rage.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

It's interesting that in a comic about magical girls fighting monsters, the fighting monsters part is so often besides the point compared to the conversations the girls are having WHILE fighting the monsters!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

What could possibly go wrong? I'm sure this is FINE.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Meanwhile, Undine definitely WOULD, hence Tessa saying she needs to yeet on outta there because she sees Undine coming.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Undine and Kokoro really oughta see about talking to the Monster Studies Club. They may know things!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

When you spend years telling frightened teenagers that "YOU and ONLY YOU must SAVE THE WHOLE CITY!*" I don't know why anyone would be surprised when they decide to take things into their own hands. :shrug:

* = Not literally what they teach, but it's hard, especially for teenagers, not to absorb that as the subtext with all the talk about duty and sacrifice in the SD World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

I don't think they've actually stated in comic how long the magical girl thing has been going on, but I get the impression that it's fairly recent and the memory thing that's messing with everyone has them all thinking that it's more established. I don't know how much of that is really the text and how much is my impression, though.

At least fifteen years, since HP's mom was a magical girl. And even back then the same basic structures seemed to be in place, like the shelters. So it seems unlikely that the girls of Team Spear were first generation pioneers or anything. So call it, what, twenty years minimum and possibly a lot longer than that?