Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The opening chapter ends on a massacre, so it’s pretty much established from the get-go that it’s not going the traditional route. I do like how they set it up to look like it’d be the combo-heavy precure type magical girls series about learning to become a team before swerving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I feel like the jump from “the magical girls are explicitly child soldiers under a glittering kayfabe of idol/pop culture” to “Mao’s ‘great leap forward’ killed and tortured millions of real people, including patriotic teenage girls, and this applies to the worldbuilding of an online magical girl comic” is a bit… of an escalation :confused:

Anyway, I’m pretty sure this worldbuilding is drawing a lot from series like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers where magical girls are straight up an anti-terrorism squad with bonus PTSD, just like the magical girls always seemed very Precure to me with the matching thematic teams (cure sunshine/moonlight etc), plus I always thought Heartful Punch’s design drew costume and fighting style inspiration direct from Pretty Cure Max Heart.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
https://youtube.com/shorts/AqcocTgf3x8?feature=share All magical girl transformation sequences should take the form of breaking out into dance.