Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's the "you didn't trust me with the way more important stuff" that pushes it into entirely unreasonable. Your framing is absolutely not the crux of Bud's issue, by her own (unintentional) admission.

I think it's absolutely more important to tell people that a malicious entity targeting magical girls, with a confirmed body count, that is stalking the streets. I understand why HP didn't tell Bud but yeah, that's a really big detail to leave out. Had she known earlier I'm certain Bud feels like she could have prevented whatever fate they are imagining for Cassidy. The major through-line in this conversation is that everyone has varying levels of "in the know" and they kept and shared with each other different things. This has all led to the current conversation. It's very messy, someone is now dead and arguably they could not be dead, and everyone is trying to process this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Do you think her support network would have let her roam around alone if they knew Goops was on the prowl? At the very least the person that specializes in surveillance could have kept an eye on Cassidy and maybe the group could have had a reaction to the attack last night. Again, something I think is plausible for Bud to be feeling right now.

Would everyone knowing what's up change the fact that Cassidy is a fangirl that can't accept HP giving someone else special attention? Not at all and I don't think that's being contested. Being in a group is equally not a viable solution since the fate of Team Alchemic is evidence of that. There isn't an easy solution here because the opposition can be anywhere, psychologically push people even during the day time, and precisely target you with creatures at night while keeping everyone else too busy to help. Like I said, this whole conversation is messy.

That is not the argument Bud is putting forth here. Re-read what I posted, you're not in the same conversation.
I am addressing that line. My post was about how Bud, the information queen, feels slighted for not being told something this important. I don't feel like that is pushing this into an unreasonable area because I feel she's correct on some level.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I don't think you're comprehending what you're reading as well as you think you are because Bud is talking about trust not the danger to others. That's why this is unreasonable. You, like others, are extrapolating Bud's words into an argument she is not making.

This is about Bud feeling slighted for not being trusted. Trust was never even a factor in the decision. It's understandable why she feels that way but understandable doesn't mean not wrong.

I don't see how they aren't connected here especially since the entire conversation is centered around Undine and HP finally confiding in more than just each other.

If HP hadn't told Bud some embarrassing childhood memory we're outright told she wouldn't care because that's "gossip". So the level of information she was kept out of, despite being confided in with this search for the golden creature can only be relevant to why she feels the way she does now. What she wasn't told here, is vastly more critical to everyone. That's my read on her statements and I can't see how that's a poor one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If the crew knew earlier at the very least they wouldn't have been inclined to just let Cassidy run around by herself regardless of her present attitude. Whether that means we're looking at more casualties or less is pure speculation. Goops hasn't brought out a creature like the one that manipulated gravity against Team Alchemic. And the multi-armed one that attacked Undine and Heartful Punch didn't seem like that big a deal for a group to handle and only posed a threat because of Goops distracting Undine and pressing her triggers. Cassidy herself was blindsided by a literal mob-type enemy but again the power of distractions is very strong against small numbers and lone targets.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
To be fair if Tessa had been there she probably would have been dropped too and nobody would have survived.mThe whole thing happened really fast and the power of sneak attacks is strong in this series. Ironically her staying at home is what saved her and Undine's lives.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Theme for the next couple of pages
But yeah, this isn't Undine's first rodeo and this time she knows to hold onto the reigns or a fractured group.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

😬

She would've been okay if she'd said "next time I'm exercising half as hard".

More like she should have said "I'll be cutting back on all the reps"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Wittgen posted:

For God's sake, someone hug that poor girl.

It's really not safe to hug someone who is holding up like, any amount of weight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Twibbit posted:

So she can manifest the words directly rather than finger painting them like I thought. That theory she is part of the barrier is gaining some points
So let me brainstorm a bit here. The Barrier keeps monsters out during the day but at night only offers protection to buildings at night and it's not perfect since the walls can still be breached. Is the theory that the barrier is the product of the same entity that grants magical girls power, and she enters her own "rest" period at night which is why the barrier gets scaled down? If yes, could it be that Goops is a sort of nightmare that is able to escape this entities subconscious and interact with the world at night time? It would help explain how Goops is able to phase through matter, or rather, move along the barrier that gets laid out over every surface. Teleportation of creatures would also make sense since they just get transferred along the shield membrane.

My memory of the earlier chapters is spotty, but outside of crank calling HP, has Goops antagonized anyone during the daytime?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kennel posted:

They have so much in common! They both wear purple and are responsible for Team Alchemical's deaths.

:iceburn:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

The potential twist offered by Anemone's monologue there is that the barrier really is meant to keep people inside the bubble more than to keep monsters out. Going even further, the max-cynicism option is that the monsters are an artificial problem to justify the barrier. That can be tempered with some doses of "this was set up long ago and modern leadership forgot" and/or "the intended result wasn't exactly this but things got out of control".

I can't decide if I'm expecting something along those lines, but that's the shape I'm giving to the more sinister ways this could play out.

Turns out this is the most elaborate Vault-tec facility in the wasteland.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

I think there's a page where you can see his journal and it spells it out that's he's from outside the city.

e: I'm misremembering, there is a page with a journal that refers to "the locals" and such, but it's possible that it's Anemone's or someone else's journal instead. https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-3

Given that she has a variety of stationary she's used over the series but this journal is on some young girl's stationary. I think Mark's dumpster diving led him to get this current journal. On top of that Anemone doesn't seem to need to move bases nor worry about being seen by magical Girls since everyone forgets about her anyways.

Also his comments about how the weather doesn't match the sky would also indicate he's not from within the dome.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

With the attention brought to Vedka's uneasy relationship with her powers on the last page this seems like a natural transition to But thinking they could be useful against Goops.
Where I come from we call that a death flag.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Oh yikes I said But instead of Bud. Heh. Butt.

But anyway I don't we're going to get another member of the gang picked off so soon.

I'm not saying immediately now. But Vedka's telepathy and potential as a way to counter Goops is the exact kind of thing that invites being picked off once that potential starts to be realized.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Twibbit posted:

They do almost seem thematic. But who wants a team where everyone shares a color. https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-10

A monochrome team would look pretty baller and they also have unique eyes and an emphasis on ranged attacks. Not to be a thematic elitist or anything, Zoe and Rue are a good duo. I just like a good matching color palette. Worst thing when playing a tag fighter is not being able to coordinate the group.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MikeJF posted:

That's the eye effect we see when people get mind-whammied and lose their memory of the woman in white, what's up here?

She looks like she rounded the corner and Medusa was just chilling there. :ohdear:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If a character dies off-screen and nobody is able to observe it. Do they make a sound?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's very clearly a solid wall with visible brick sections, and the brick sections are illuminated like the brick of the Inner Barrier.

The question is, why doesn't it go to the ground? Also why is it all weird and floppy.

I think the bricks are just a brick wall probably a story in height and then the foliage/white noise outer barrier overlaps it from above.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Flame and Frost are the best couple in the series and I'll hear no arguments to the contrary :colbert:

And what does this town's potential drug market look like? What is their tax policy? The real questions Mary is hiding from us not that barrier nonsense.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kennel posted:

Good stuff is free

Problem is it always leads to a bad trip.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think the point is that overall the monsters are usually small to tiger in size and pose no serious risk to the inner barrier during the night unless they have sufficient time to break through. Larger creatures might have been rarer in the past and we still have the idea that this was a normal town before the barrier was erected. All this would make it believable for the infrastructure of the city to not conform to the monsters, rather the way magical girls operate. Hence the emphasis on teams even for non-thematic girls. The fact that normal guys can tag along for things like on-site supervision and camerawork tells me that usually the nights aren't so dangerous that fatalities or break-ins are common.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It would be really weird and somewhat futuristic to wake up and discover that the sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel.

If it has any kind of mind altering properties I don't think they would mind or remember.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nimby posted:

The outer barrier is a series of billboards telling people they're being held hostage by the golden woman. The rest of the world is fine, she's just taken over an entire city in a moment of emotional distress.

Reminds me of a joke where Australia has devolved into a mad max post apocalypse state of being after everyone assumes the apocalypse happened. But the rest of the world is just fine but nobody goes there anymore because of all the weirdos wearing football helmets and assless chaps.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The really morbid thing underlying this whole incident is that I don't think there are many situations where there isn't even a body to bury.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You say that, but considering the variety of monsters that they fight I could easily imagine that situation being relatively common.
I can remember two monsters that were big enough to eat someone. The many armed abomination and the big bug that Rue and Zoe took down. It definitely happens and I can imagine some cases like Cassy where a MG power has a strange interactions but I'd also say those are more likely to have Goops directly acting if there's that kind of creature lurking around. Which begs the question of how frequently she pulls these kind of ambushes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

A new page, and an old face!

For those who don't remember, Mingxing was Kokoro's mum's teammate, the one who first found her body.
Guess this is how Kokoro is going to avoid some hard time.
It could just be the shadow but it looks to me like she has one of those metal bases for a prosthetic hand for her right hand

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

rannum posted:

considering what happened to her arm, it's definitely a prosthetic https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-31

considering steffi has a cool robo leg prosthetic i assume mingxing has an equally cool robo arm

Oh snap, I never parsed that was an attack I figured it was a perspective shot. But in hindsight that doesn't make sense.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That is a much nicer prosthetic arm than I imagined.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This whole conversation is really an elaborate ruse to suss out HP and Alchemic Water's relationship. Auntie MingXing is going to send them both up the river.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

New page! In which everything is very awkward.

I don't know why this is something I'm fixated on but the ramifications of letting currently active magical girls power prosthetic technology is positively fascinating. How does the screening process for this work? Do you get put on a list and when it's time for someone to retire you get a phone call to have your current limb decommissioned and wait for a new MG with tech powers to become available? Since Techno Blitz isn't always transformed everything just works passively as well so in theory other magical girls could be enchanting stuff all over the city.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

:allears:

It's pretty much confirmation that Mingxing has Kokoro's best interests at heart and that she's not about to try to peg the two of them for murder or something.
Ok, I know we were all joking about Undine and Heartful Punch being sent up the river for holding hands. But why would any of these magical girls be suspected of murder to begin with?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

rannum posted:

When i say taken away for murder I mean it as a joke but... I'd be shocked if CDD didnt at least consider that Superpowered Teen Drama didn't lead to more than just going off alone that night, even if it's statistically unlikely.

Hell I doubt Cassidy was the only one in the city who suspected Undine of having something to do with her team's deaths; wouldn't surprise me if the CDD had to at least briefly consider it just as due diligence

I mean the thing is that Undine was also injured in the attack that killed her teammates and Tessa's testimony on what happened would match Undine's minus the whole power transfer that occurred. Cassidy's suspicions were filtered through her disdain that someone else was getting intimate with Kokoro and I would hope the adults of this world don't have the same vague and baseless suspicions that Undine was party too or responsible for her team's death. I do think they are fully aware of her pink eyes and what that means though since the CDD clearly knows more about how magical girl powers interact and can be inherited as we saw with the coverup for Kokoro's mother.

I don't think it's implausible that magical girls in this setting have committed crimes using their powers even including murder. But by that same token if this were an investigation to figure out if Undine killed Cassidy it's awfully casual and understaffed. Each of these girls are living weapons and they sent in a retired MG and maybe a second one (or just a normal human officer we don't know about Beth). I mean maybe the prosthetic arm doubles as a weapon or they are hoping that with a school full of other magical girls nobody will do something stupid, but a murder investigation for this would probably entail asking the MG in question to come to a special facility rather than a counseling room.

As for Cassidy; what I think the CDD knows at this stage is that she participates in the after school training program and she wasn't with her teammates the previous night because an argument broke out at said training. But since they didn't call for Undine first I don't think Bud specified what really happened to Cassidy's teammates as Minxing only thinks to call for her after Kokoro mentions it. I definitely think they suspect Cassidy just got picked off solo rather than murdered by Undine. Even if Bud had gone into full detail for Lettie, she would have mentioned that after Undine left Kokoro went after her and it's already a known thing that the two are basically teammates. Would be hard to suspect undine for murder if she was also with someone else although you could argue nobody saw the two of them together during their patrol.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I was wondering of the blue poster behind Kokoro would pan out to anything

madjack posted:

Mingxing is going to be in the same role as Cho was in KB, isn't she?
What's KB?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Potsticker posted:

KiwiBlitz, another of the author's webcomics.

Thanks, thought it was an anime reference.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick > Sleepless Domain: drat, That's a lot.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean it's speculation, but imo it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

After weeks of confusion on whether or not people were being ironic about the fuzz actually suspecting Undine over Cassidy's disappearance and likely murder. The idea that Kokoro's cool aunt wouldn't believe them on this matter while also being a magical girl herself is really out of left field.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean for all we know the higher ups are aware of Goops and possibly even the golden animal. The latter of which has already been seen by multiple magical girls and who knows who else?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-26

Mingxing is a great character.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This just loops back to Undine warning the other magical girls. The story well substantiates why both Kokoro and Undine (and even Tessa) are hesitant to bring this topic up to anyone but in doing so something can be done and the makings of a counter strategy can be formed. The CDD are still the ones overseeing all of these kids and now that they can be made aware of what's going on something is bound to change. At the very least they can issue some mandates like "no solo operations no matter what" and tightening up the rules regarding patrol routes and check-ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New page
New favorite poster. "Ogre Achiever".