Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rannum posted:

I also agree with the earlier conversation that if this is just goops loving with her it kinda... weakens the moment? I dunno I think it's way more interesting if, yeah, this is her Dream and all that means for Tessa specifically, as well as the girl in white and the world in general

Yeah I agree with this. It would cheapen Tessa's arc significantly if she becomes an evil magical girl because goops "tricked" her with a completely fake dream. Of course goops is manipulating her but so far she's been able to do that with telling the truth.

Nothing in the dream seems out of place. It fits what we know of Tessa pretty well. There's no compelling reason to suspect what we've seen so far is a lie.

If Goops wanted to make her hate the girl in white or her friends with a fake dream, I don't think she would have been nearly this subtle about it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bonster posted:

I'm wondering a little about just how evil Goops is. I mean, she's obviously evil and all, but it seems the woman in white is miserable and lonely, anemone is messed up, and the whole system relies on continually creating these sacrificial lambs in the form of magic girls. If she's trying to break the system, my theory is she's one of the originals who had something awful happen, and is planning to use Tessa as a means to break things open and put an end to the whole thing. She just doesn't care what she does or who she hurts to get there.

Yeah I think that's a good theory. It's been noted in comic how immature she seems, so her being a failed magical girl would fit really well with that. Personality wise she might be in the same place she was when they originally tried to give her magic. And if she has been constantly exposed to everyone's nightmares for however many years this has been going on, Goops probably has tons of trauma heaped on top of that.

So yeah if something like that is the case, I could see her doing whatever it takes just to stop her own suffering.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

I do think it's important tht while Tessa initially framed it in terms of 'isolation', she quickly clarified to 'my friends are fighting/in danger and I want to help' which is pretty selfless imo

Tessa isn't a bad person, she does care about her friends. But she absolutely has a hang up about needing to be the center and most important person in her friend group. For teenager reasons not malicious ones. So I wouldn't say she is entirely selfless with her motivation for protecting her friends in that context.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bussamove posted:

Why are we deciding the traumatized and manipulated teenage girl is the real evil one now I’m very confused.

Folks aren't saying that Tessa is evil but rather that Goops is probably not going to be the one in control of the situation. Goops is pretty immature and overconfident but she is absolutely no where near equipped to deal with Tessa's baggage and that's probably going to cause things to spiral out of control at some point. Especially since their mental state effects one another and they share thoughts and feelings to some extent.

So it's more a comment on Goops taking on more than she can handle with the "partnership" than saying Tessa is like a super villain or something.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah, I definitely think its a blend. I'm not sure if Goops would save HP if it was her in complete control. She showed no mercy to any other magical girls prior to this. Except Tessa who she needed.

Though I wonder if HP is going to tell Undine about this, or if its gonna end up being a secret. If it was Undine in this encounter she would absolutely tell HP, but I think since its HP she might not. Telling someone who's been through as much as Undine that her former friend has become an evil magical girl by joining with the entity that murdered all her other friends is kinda a lot.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I don't know that she even recognises this is Tessa at this point. I get the impression she just thinks this is goops solo.

Oh fair! that could definitely be the case.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rannum posted:

Yeah the idea this is entirely goops just feels way weaker narratively.
It means way more if Tessa & Goops are both part of this, both actively agreeing to this set up and acting on it. Especially for Tessa.

Yeah I agree with this completely.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I feel like she has to at some point though. Both Goops and Anemone seemed kinda puzzled at the way she bit it. It's too much of an oddity.

I was under the impression that Goops was puzzled that Cassidy was able to truly injure her.

I think it's definitely possible she could be revived or whatever, there's a lot we don't know about how many things work so we can't rule anything out.
But I think it's more likely that she's just dead for good.

Her arc feels finished and I'm not sure what purpose she would serve in the story if she were to come back. At least not with what we know so far anyways.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rannum posted:

a story can take as long as it once in a single period of time so long as it feels like things happen

One Piece spent 3 years spanning approximately 1 night once, it's fine.

Yeah. Like it has only been one night for the past year but a heck of a lot of stuff has happened in that one night so it doesn't really feel like the comic is dragging it's heels or anything. It really does feel like we are building up to an imminent climax of some sort and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

That said if folks are getting bothered by the pacing, sometimes taking a break is good. Then you can get multiple pages in a row when you come back which can help a bit.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rannum posted:

Mingxing's prosthetics were provided by magical girls, seems like that could easily extend to other things. And imagine all the logistics issues when a girl dies loses their magic, that's probably fun :v:

Yeah, she had to swap prosthetics when the first girl retired. If providing for the city's needs was also the responsibility of magical girls and the city wasn't guaranteed to always have access to certain powers, it would make for a pretty interesting setting. Like there's enough seeds there you could have a separate spin-off comic with that concept alone. Something interesting to think about if nothing else.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

One other thing to be concerned about is the government that we know covers things up to try and keep the image of magical girls squeaky clean. Granted, we only have HP and Rue's perspectives on that and neither of them is exactly unbiased, but I have to imagine they'll have some reaction to the existence of a magical girl killer being announced on live TV.

Yeah that'll be interesting. The result/fall out of this will definitely set the tone for the rest of the comic. Though I think the fact that the comic is very character driven and that a major government/public vs undine arc would probably be a distraction from the story as we know it so far (and kinda trite to be honest) it probably won't be a major focus.

But that doesn't mean there won't be some kind of ramifications for doing this. Even if it might be a one off thing like an unpleasant interaction with someone or being scolded by a government official and/or Mingxing or whatever. Then it's back to Undine dealing with her stuff, Tessa/Goops dealing with their stuff, etc etc.

Though this comic already had one radical shift in tone, so it's not safe to assume that anything is impossible.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Steelion posted:

Have they given any indication that the "big thing" isn't just them announcing that not only are they teaming up, but they're dating?

The only direct indication is the last scene before this was Undine talking about telling the public about Goops. So while it's not a confirmation the timing does make it seem likely that it's going to be what happens here.

Also like in terms of advancing the story, announcing they are a team now and/or dating to the public doesn't really change anything for the main cast. However announcing that there's a murderous magical girl out there mercing people (and also maybe wants to destroy the city) on the other hand is a significant escalation that's going to have some sort of repercussions on the main cast. It would be weird to dedicate a lot of time to a scene like this, and then not have it matter to the story at all. Though there's certainly other ways this scene could impact Undine/Kokoro so maybe something else could happen.

Also Kokoro asking Undine if she wants to do something nice after this right as they go in to do the thing is definitely a red flag. I have a feeling they might have to wait a little bit for that date if poo poo is going to hit the fan here.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like somebody, somewhere, is presumably freaking out about the whole "early barrier shutdown" thing, which makes it unlikely that anybody with information on the topic will just be overlooked. We haven't actually seen much of upper management so far, but sure the work of coordinating the defense of literally all remaining humans as far as we know isn't just handled by agents and the media?

Yeah that's a good point. This might be the way they learn that Undine is a person of interest and get them to contact her asap. Which might be how Undine and co learn some more about why things are the way they are, or at least partially. (since the whole amnesia thing is well.. a thing)

At least Goops can be discussed without being memory holed so there's gotta be some secrets that aren't affected. So the people in charge probably know something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Probably not. By the nature of the problem, they wouldn't be able to say something that triggers the effect, because they don't remember anything that would trigger the effect.

I think the only way it could come into play is that if there are levels to the memory erasure based on the person. Like Anemone can remember more than most but there's still a few things that she can't. Magical girls don't remember as much as Anemone, non-powered people remember even less etc etc. I don't think this is the case though. Would be too complicated and seems unnecessary? We really don't know how it works so can't really rule it out though I suppose.

But otherwise Undine should at least be able to say everything the girls have already talked about which is a fair amount. Since yeah, otherwise they would have forgotten it already.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 5, 2023