Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
edit: nevermind, twitter glitched and scared the crap outta me, everything's fine

isasphere fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, dang. Mary has stated that this isn't like Madoka, in that the monsters aren't former magical girls.

She never said anything about them not being former people.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Come to think of it, have we seen anyone get the magical wipe static eyes that isn't a magical girl or a former magical girl? It might be tied directly to the powers the Girl in White gives the girls, or the traces left of it when they lose their powers.

Anyone non-magical gets taken care of because they either get nightmare-touched and forget anything they saw besides the nightmare or outright killed if they come in contact with the monsters and would have no other mechanism of obtaining the forbidden information that is beeing wiped out like Tessa did when talking to Anemone or Goops or Vedika with her telepathy, so they all would be out of the loop anyway.

It might be how Nico is gathering intel. The golden creature is from the Girl in White, right? So he is surveilled and protected by alerting nearby magical girls when he is in trouble, but not stopped.

The mindwipe might not even be on purpose anymore if it initially was, it might be automatic.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, thanks for the links. So it is city-wide and it applies to anyone who even tries to think/talk about how anything relating to the Girl in White works, be it magical powers, the city itself, the shield, the monsters, the past of the Founder, anything along those lines.

Yeah, that is terrifying.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Gonna double post because it deserves it

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-7-page-23

Holy poo poo, this page hits so much harder when you know that Kokoro's mother died protecting her from a monster, and couldn't protect her own family because she lost her powers when they went into Kokoro. And that Kokoro goes to a therapist and takes antidepressants.

"It's not your fault. No matter how much it feels that way, it's not." You can tell she's had to spend years convincing herself of that. :cry: This comic is so loving good, dude.

That is such a good page, and honestly when this comic won me over. It was such a leap of faith from Undine to just finally tell someone the truth about the event, mysterious monster girl and all, but by that point Kokoro had been giving off green flags that she could be trusted with heavy emotional stuff, it's just that neither Undine nor the audience knew why.

Also, yeah, Anemone definitely has touches of the Girl in White's design when she is in her rainbow super mode.

Didn't someone theorize that Anemone, Goops and the Girl in White might have been one single person once, a proto magical girl of sorts?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

It's so realistic, too. So often stories have the problem of the characters never just TALKING TO EACH OTHER and explaining what's going on, even if it would make way more sense if they did - they're artificially kept from doing so to keep the story going, because so many problems would be instantly resolved if the characters were simply on the same page.

But the characters regularly talk to each other and share information and poo poo STILL happens. Undine tells Kokoro! Undine tells their group! Undine tells an adult! Undine even tells Tessa, and Tessa's transformation doesn't happen because she doesn't have that information, it happens partly because she does, which makes it even scarier because she's fully informed of what Goops has done and still actively chooses this!

It's just such a good comic that actively tries to avoid the easy road in writing and I love it so much. :allears:

It's such good writing. It makes Goop a more credible threat, too.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

I was under the impression that Goops was puzzled that Cassidy was able to truly injure her.

I think it's definitely possible she could be revived or whatever, there's a lot we don't know about how many things work so we can't rule anything out.
But I think it's more likely that she's just dead for good.

Her arc feels finished and I'm not sure what purpose she would serve in the story if she were to come back. At least not with what we know so far anyways.

Terrible ghost entity back to haunt Undine, maybe.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The cat fostering spin-off we crave but do not deserve.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
This is a comic that reads exceptionally well archivally. I like to re-read it every now and then and the pacing in each chapter is perfect.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I like how Zoe constantly has that "I'm still not sure why I'm being included in the cool kids group and if I make one sudden move it might end" nervous air even when she's just sitting there listening politely.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

The context just feels very much like they're referring to other magical girl schools imo. Like, "if she's a magical girl she probably goes (to this school for magical girls)" "there are a few smaller private ones".

I wonder if they have sports competitions between the big school and the smaller ones. Like is there a football rivalry.

It raises some interesting questions about the economy and social classes (and population numbers?) if there is the one state-funded prestigious school Undine is attending but there is also enough wealth and demand for other smaller ones.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Would KH Cassidy have two keys on the end of her scissors or just have a shitload of Nomura-style zippers on top of her normal look?

Yes.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I still feel like this will end in disaster. I get that they want to take away the power Goops has in secrecy, which is honestly smart, but launching into this news, live, without professional coaching, without letting their agents or the magical girl agency thing know? They either cause a mass panic, tank their own reputation by coming across as unstable, or both. Probably both.

But it's also such a believable mistep from these characters in this situation. You can see the logic they are following. A+ anxiety inducer in the reader!

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Honestly, I am still worried about the thing that was motivating Cassidy: That Undine was not being a good victim. Of course, there was the jealousy that compounded it, but I do not believe that it came from nowhere. I can't help but feel it is an unstated, simmering sentiment amongst the shittier people in the city; Heck, in real life there are people that hate other people for daring to move on from tragedy, and god help you if you aren't perfect. I am fearing that this will cause that sentiment to boil over.

That said, now that i have it written down, I may be projecting.

I don't know what to think. So far, every character that has acted in a villainous or antagonist way has had a motive. Cassidy and the girl harassing Zoe genuinely believed they were justified that the other person was doing something bad. Goops is so far the main villain, but she seems to believe she is breaking down a system that deserves to be destroyed, no matter the means.

I guess that one reporter that wouldn't take no for an answer was the closest thing?

Everyone else we have seen has been as level-headed as one can be in their situation.

But also!

We haven't really seen what non-magical people outside of our protagonists' social spheres think. Everyone we have seen has been touched positively by Undine and/or Kokoro or is in general trying to do their part to keep the magical girl system going as well as it can because they believe in it.

Parents of the magical girls we've seen so far: Varying levels of worried and proud, but ultimately on their kids' corner even when they don't want them to fight.

Zoe's relatives that were saved from eyesmouth monster: eternally grateful.

The staff at the Cat café: HP is a great client and a good person outside of her magical girl duties, they like her.

The media/reporters: They just want that scoop! We don't know their hearts.

Magical Girl agents: They probably would choose a different job if they hated magical girls?

Tessa's normie classmates: They think magical girls are cool? But are just busy being normal kids.

Mark (was that his name? Nico the rat's human buddy): An outsider that snuck into the city? He can see the system is rotten, but he pities the magical girls, doesn't hate them.

The fan letters Undine received were vetted, so not impartial.

Who knows what Joe Random from the store that keeps getting destroyed in fights thinks.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
They should swap managers to see what it's like, like a reality show.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
This is more nerve-wracking than when they are actually fighting the monsters.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Oh no, they didn't even prepare for follow-up questions. :(

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
We haven't seen the producer or anyone making frantically "cut off" hand motions either, so cautiously optimistic.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
It probably helps that there are non-combatant positions to make them feel like they can still contribute without risking their lives, like the dorm monitor where HP lives who makes a headcount when they return from their fights, or Vedika volunteering at the hospital, and possibly also the greenhouse magical girl at the school? She might not fight but be decently regarded by helping grow food in a limited surface area.

Also, powers like Steffi's, who can make magically self-sustaining prothesis. I imagine that there might be other magical girls with support-type powers that could feasibly stay out of the fights without suffering too much reputation damage.

Oh, and there were also healer types, right? They presumably stay at or near the emergency shelters if they aren't versatile or hardy enough to fight too.

Also, Zoe might have been under more scrutiny than usual because of her popular older sister, maybe other kids slip under the radar a little better?

isasphere fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 10, 2023

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
According to the hard-to-read notes Undine had written in that history class,they also underwent a big political upheaval at some unknown-to-us point in the past, so that's even more reason to have lost a sense of what life was really like in previous generations.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-2-page-4

"It was eventually determined that -- had no-- magical potential -- caused an upheaval in the local power structure.

People began to question whether those without the mayoreal blessing at the city should be allowed to vote. It became by -- progressives and tradition(alists) with the progressives -- ming and"

That "mayoreal blessing" makes me wonder if it means just legal right to vote, or if it's about the magical powers, and if The Girl In White was the actual mayor at some point? And if she was also The Founder or just one more in a long line.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Their parents might intercept them yet!

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I wonder how close we are to the end of the story, with the status quo so shaken.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Turns out the most effective strategy from team Destroy The City was to shake Anemone's self-confidence. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
What a shame that the prettiest barrier so far is like this.