Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I wonder how much the dream is the girl's subconscious and how much of it is something chosen by the Woman in White. Or something to do with destiny, I don't know. Like, is the fact that Tessa is being carried by her friends indicative of her relative potential and power to the rest of them, and that she was destined to become their leader?

Or is it indicative of Tessa having a sense of inflated self-importance compared to the rest of them and seeing herself as a de-facto queen bee/leader of their friend group pre-powers (and/or expecting herself to become the Sailor Moon of the group, like "oh of course my powers would be the strongest")?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Speaking of which, I was just looking at that. Tessa's look in the final panel can be read in a lot of ways. She looks vaguely upset and not at all excited like the others.

Is she upset that Undine is in danger? Upset that the dynamic of their friend group might be changing? Upset that maybe some of them will be left out as far as who gets powers? Upset that she didn't get her powers first?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Tenebrais posted:

It comes up from time to time in the Discord that Tessa's whole deal feels very familiar to anyone who was a gifted kid growing up. She was just a naturally better magical girl than anyone around her, and got all the attention and fame and was just plain used to it to the point it caused some bitterness among her friends. Then she ran into actually failing at something, with serious consequences, and fell into a spiral as she realised she doesn't actually have much going for her.

Personally I think we can read that attitude a little further back too, to before they became magical girls - if she was already used to being treated as the best and most special girl for being a non-metaphorically gifted kid then she could easily slide into that same position as a magical girl. And that means reading that expression as shock and jealousy - she's so used to being the special one and yet here the cosmic powers-that-be that give people powers picked Undine over her. And given other dialogue we've seen in flashbacks Tessa was probably the last of her team to receive powers, so she kept getting hit with not being the Important One up until suddenly she was all over again.

These are all really good points. Especially combined with this page:

Lines like "she uses her powers as an excuse to boss us around" and "she thinks she's actually more important than us". I think in some ways, Tessa did get used to feeling as if she was better than those around her, because things came easier to her, and her self-esteem became heavily predicated upon that. Like obviously she cares about her friends and isn't a narcissist or anything, she's just, you know, the protagonist of her own story in her head, as many young teens are. Right after that discussion, she decides to leave to prove to both herself and her team that she is as important as she thinks she is.

And then later on, being torn between wanting to feel like that necessary, powerful part of their team and caring about her friends.

Which obviously ends badly and she blames herself for not valuing them more or for valuing herself above them and her worldview/self-esteem instantly shatters. "Any one of you deserves to live more than I do."

Man this webcomic is so good and I find new stuff to appreciate every time I go back and reread it. I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the next page.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Oh my god I never noticed Bud in the last panel of this :xd:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I love the back and forth we're having. Very interesting reads into Tessa's character.

Speaking of Undine's power boost from Tessa, on reread I noticed that her eyes light up bright pink on this page to the point of causing a pink glow around her. We haven't seen this before or since, have we? Like obviously her eyes have the pink in them either way, but the lighting up pale pink to the point that it casts a light?

The obvious take is that it's Tessa's power manifesting in her, especially with the blatant parallel drawn between her power and Tessa's here. But I think it's particularly relevant now that we're here with Goops possessing her and wanting her power for herself. I think that even if Goops manages to orient Tessa, she's going to find that the power barrel was emptied out (because it was quite literally dumped into Undine) and Tessa has nothing of value to offer her. I don't think Goops is going to react very well to that.

Which means Undine has that super-special Sailor Moon protagonist power buried in her, she just doesn't know how to access it yet other than in situations of extreme life and death danger.

Though Goops may have anticipated this already because Tessa says outright "wait why do you keep attacking undine though lol" which Goops deflects.

Maybe Goops thinks SOME of Tessa's power is in Undine, and she just needs to assemble the whole, but Tessa is her ultimate priority. I don't know. I guess I'm getting too far into theorycrafting, but I feel like she's going to discover that Tessa has a lot less power left than she thinks, because making Undine a much bigger target and the comic focusing on unlocking Tessa's powers within Undine to put her more into that "sailor moon destined protagonist" role would be a really compelling development.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It remains to be seen whether this is how her actual dream played out or if this is a nightmare version of it. Currently leaning towards the former - I think whoever said Tessa was the last to receive her powers was spot on and this is going to end in the curtain flying back to reveal her powered up self like "wait for me, aren't you missing your LEADER".

That said, it's very interesting that she seems to have expected Undine to passively be like "oh no it's fine :shobon:" as always and is very caught off guard by her saying "Yeah, you're right, thanks! :v:" instead. Goes back to what we said about her being used to being the queen bee of her friend group, only for that dynamic to threaten to crumble as soon as her friends started getting powers. Literally dropping her and moving on without her as her queen's crown falls off. Absolutely no symbolism related to Tessa's deep-seated fears here.

I think this just confirms the reading that she liked being the gifted one who was better than the others in some way, and that she enjoyed the sense of superiority it entailed/feeling like they needed to depend on her and relied on it as her source of self-esteem. She tries to play it off here like "no wait, you don't have to" but is shocked when they actually agree.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Not to prattle on again but if this IS a straight rehash of her dream, I'm guessing we're about to see The Woman In White again, what with the wisteria in her colors reminiscent of the Great Barrier and the implication that every Dream involves a girl talking to her. Undine says they talked about "something important". Do we finally get to learn what that is?

I'm also wondering if the reason Undine had that dream twice is a direct result of having a second "powers puberty" from Tessa putting her power into her.

Antigravitas posted:

Adobe software is pretty garbage, honestly. I've seen InDesign just bork itself and those files were on ZFS.

I will never give up my hourly snapshots. At least I only lose 60 minutes at maximum…
Aseprite has probably the most robust recovery function I've ever run into for an art program. I rarely ever crash but the one time I did I lost like, 2 minutes of progress. :swoon:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

nimby posted:

Goops has no real reason to lie to Tessa, at least not via nightmare. Goops needs Tessa to be cooperative to have more agency in the city, while Tessa is so far down the depression hole she was ready to let Goops kill her. If Goops just wanted to subsume her will, she'd be doing more terror, I think.

Showing the original power-granting dream (with perhaps some scenes edited out) might be enough to turn Tessa.
We have no reason to believe that she doesn't remember the dream unless for some reason losing her powers causes her to forget, because it seems pretty clear that magical girls remember theirs, EXCEPT for the part where they talk to the Woman in White, as evidenced by these pages:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-8-page-12
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-8-page-13

So I feel like this is what Goops means by "a memory that should've been yours all along". It's not The Dream she's referring to - Tessa would have kept that. It's what comes after. We're about to see The Woman In White and learn what it is that she tells magical girls, and how their powers become activated. (Undine says "We talked about something... Something important...")

From what we've seen of Tessa's fuzzy memories of Anemone, they keep rather than lose memories that are obfuscated by The Woman In White's amnesticizing effects, and they can be brought back by a strong enough reminder. Like how Undine vaguely remembers their conversation but not the specifics, even though The Woman In White did not expect her to.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-23

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I totally respect Mary and what she's going through and I empathize as someone who had a family member suffering from Lewy-body dementia. Any kind of degenerative disease is really brutal. I think she should take as much time as she needs and life comes first.

Simultaneously I have never been more :f5: over a webcomic in my life

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Unlucky7 posted:

I was about to point out the lack of a sheen on her text as a possibility that this isn't our Girl In White, except is the same in the other Tessa scene with her.

Anyway, this feels like it is implying 2 things:

1. The Girl In White may not have an actual choice in who she gives powers to, if her looking like she does not want to do this here is any indication.

2. Desire, at the very least, may be accounted for in determining if you get the dream or not. We kind of see this with Cassidy's flashback as well.

If 2 is true, then it makes the whole celebrity culture around Magical Girls even more screwed up

Re: 2, someone on Twitter pointed out that The Woman in White may not want girls to die but has no choice but to recruit new help, as it were, with Goops getting stronger. And so she only gives powers to girls who go willingly and WANT those powers. But the whole romanticization of Magical Girls means that girls aren't doing it to protect the city out of selflessness or heroism anymore, it's because they want the sort of fame and power and glamour built up around it. Not only that, but apparently you get an all-expenses-paid ride to the best school in the city and monetary compensation that a lot of families could really use (like Sylvia).

It makes sense that she wouldn't be happy to see her for that reason. Tessa is another girl who wants to become a magical girl for superficial reasons (fitting in with her friends, regaining power at the top of her teenage social structure, being Special and Gifted). Which, those are all understandable reasons, especially for a girl her age! But these girls are dying, often in truly horrible ways, and they're essentially child soldiers who are thrust into something they're completely unprepared for and can't easily back out of without receiving a ton of social pressure (see: Zoe). All because the media completely misrepresents what it's like to be a magical girl. TWIW is likely not happy about that.

You can see Tessa grimacing about this, too, with a poster from back in Chapter 6 recruiting magical girls. It's bright and friendly and says "you don't have to join the fight... but you can earn money while DEFENDING YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS!! :j:". She ends up tearing it down to discourage magical girls from going out there and fighting.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-27

This could explain why she seemed to have a warmer demeanor towards Undine, and that Undine said "We talked about something... Something important..." Undine has never been much for fame or attention, so it's possible the desire in her heart to become a magical girl came from a genuine wish to protect people.

Unrelatedly, I don't think we've ever seen, like, fields of grass or anything. I wonder how livestock, food production, etc works. I feel like animals might be threatened by the presence of monsters that come out at night? What about crops?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

nimby posted:

Maybe there's a cadre of magical girls who have the power to create meat, eggs, dairy and vegetables.

Ah, my favorite mahou shoujo, Chicken Chancellor

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, here, but I feel like the pink silk is a bit of a visual callback to Tessa's nightmare in Chapter 12:

I also noticed that the magical girls are all wearing a featureless dress in their dream (that we've seen so far), which appears similar to the Woman in White's outfit. Not that we have much of a sample size, since we've only seen Tessa and Undine's dreams.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 29, 2021

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It's strange that we're seeing the memory effect in the dream itself, considering that this part of the dream is what magical girls always forget after and has been shown to be related to the memory stuff (like Undine's eyes fuzz over when she's trying to remember the end of the dream). I'm wondering if Tessa was about to say "Are you the Founder?". Like the memory stuff doesn't just pertain to The Woman In White but also figuring out the extent and specifics of who and what she is.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

JuniperCake posted:

Tessa isn't a bad person, she does care about her friends. But she absolutely has a hang up about needing to be the center and most important person in her friend group. For teenager reasons not malicious ones. So I wouldn't say she is entirely selfless with her motivation for protecting her friends in that context.

That's true, but it read to me as if that was the answer TWIW was looking for. She keeps getting these girls that (through no fault of their own, the propaganda machine makes them this way) want power, popularity, attention, whatever, and she's looking for girls who want to protect the city. It seemed like she was hesitant to create another child soldier, especially such a powerful one, but Tessa expressing at least something along the lines of "I want to fight and protect people" was enough, even if it might have its own selfish reasons behind it.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Loving the look in the third panel where she goes from gold in the center of her pink eyes to Goops' purple. If we get a "dark magical girl" kind of look for Tessa then I hope that's part of it.

Honestly, this whole comic's visuals have been so loving cool. It's gotten so dynamic and gorgeous as it's gone on. The detail of her body escaping the panel in the fourth panel really gives a sense of depth. Everything has such a sense of motion instead of "characters standing around" which is a common issue with comics.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

That theory is interesting because magical girl powers seem to go away once they become adults, so Goops needing to target girls with magic potential before they age out but being unsure who to target because she doesn't have the ability to see potential in girls like WIW can makes sense.

It also seems like Goops' whole getting-inside-you thing may need to be voluntary or otherwise be very difficult to pull off, because she says that it failed before with Anemone. It seems like it worked because of Tessa's pre-existing self-hatred and apathy that could be manipulated towards her goals.

Needing them to be familiar with and have some kind of frustration with WIW may also be a prerequisite.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I get that Gabby is like a background character who doesn't have much to her.

But she's canonically a healer and if we're leading towards the girls eventually becoming one big MG group, she fills a niche they don't have. Gabby for main character status :swoon:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-18-page-42

There's this, where she speaks in plural: "We'll just have to do it all ourselves." I took that to mean that they were sort of a blend of the two.

She speaks in plural on the page after that, too, and says you have to combine their points. Take that with a grain of salt because it's extracanonical, but yeah. :v:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Can't believe this thread would engage in such egregious Rue erasure.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

ronya posted:

those are some absurdly large spiral-bound notebook and pens

Yeah the perspective in this panel is slightly jank. Just compare that nightstand's size to Anemone herself.

But I'm not gonna nitpick the art when if I recall Mary has someone to help with backgrounds now because her dad is sick. Overall it works really well and the shots have been really impressive.

I find it really interesting how the inside of her house is affected by the barrier. That definitely isn't something we see in other people's houses, it's very new (we've seen it in Tessa's bedroom, for instance - it only affects the outside of the house and the windows). I'm guessing it has to be that way so she can sleep on the barrier for her omniscience, yeah. Does that mean monsters can spawn inside her house? Do they not perceive her as being human to attack her when she's part of the barrier like that?

But it's very interesting because this implies her omniscience only applies to the night. Also, she can also sense the fourth wall and isn't affected by the Woman In White cognitohazard. Are those just a side effect of her powers?

I really don't think that she generates the barrier itself given that magical girls "age out" of having their powers and we know that the barrier mechanics have existed for at least a prior generation (see: Starlight Spear and all that), unless Anemone is way older than she looks and is just trapped at a certain age, which could explain why her demeanor is so contrary to her smaller size. She also derisively talks about her own power at one point, "After all, that's my power... whether it's useful or not." Someone who makes the entire barrier would not talk about it like that, I don't think, unless she was somehow unaware of it.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Outer Science seems to refer to monster study, to some degree. We see a brief mention of it back in Chapter 2.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-2-page-18

Anemone also implies that there's monsters roaming outside, so "outer" referring to them would make sense:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-1

I wonder if the reason Anemone has such a connection to the Woman in White is because she's responsible for the great barrier that protects them during the day, and Anemone is responsible for the barrier that protects them during the night. Kind of a sun and moon deal.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Maybe we're about to get meta and she's literally part of the comic. That white spot is just showing the comic's white background behind her.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

habeasdorkus posted:

I assume the other monsters are there to distract Anemone while the smoke butt does it's thing. Also, lol at Gooptessa apparently deciding "gently caress it, guess I gotta keep killing girls."

This is what I was wondering re: the smoke butt, because we don't see it as one of the monsters attacking her, but I can see the other interpretation as well. I think she's targeting Anemone because Anemone is responsible for the barrier. If she wants to turn people against the Woman in White, destroying their protection against the city's monsters seems like a good way to go. Also a good way to burn the whole city down in flames and the magical girl system with it.

Important to note that the barrier is still very much gone while monsters are presumably still roaming the city. Really interested to see the aftermath there. I imagine there's a LOT of people panicking in the city right now, both magical girls, government officials, and your average person. Is this the first time the barrier has had an "outage"?

Also, how long has any of this been going on? How old is Anemone? The magical girls-brawling-to-protect-the-barrier system has seemingly been around for decades if not hundreds of years, so is Anemone that old, or does the WiW recruit a new barrier girl once she ages out of her powers?

I feel like she must be a lot older than she looks, judging by her old-fashioned way of speaking and dressing and the fact that she called Stressa "little brat".

Also drat Anemone is pretty strong. Too bad she's busy being the barrier to attack monsters with the rest of them.

Edit: Lmao I was going through anemone strips and she has the line "if you ask me, there's no way an immortal magical girl would be that happy all the time" :thunk:

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 4, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Didn't notice the clock, good catch! So presuming that there were a few minutes after that of Stressa taking to herself/Anemone/the monsters and having the scorpion scratch at her window, there was probably only about ten minutes of downtime - enough that it could largely be written off as a fluke, but it'll probably still be mentioned as part of the concerning trend of ongoing oddities like the increase in monsters.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that Anemone's outfit has been changing?

Normally it's got this kind of white apron situation with dark straps over top. Also shoes.

But ever since she showed up, she's not wearing any of that.

I thought maybe it was a matter of her retransforming after Goops' shot to her chest may have depowered her and her outfit changing as a result, but in the interstitial (which is a flashback), it appears she sleeps this way:

So, are the white parts and straps over top something she voluntarily wears as additions to her outfit? What about her shoes? (Tailoring and adding her own additions to her outfit seems like an extremely Anemone thing to do, we know she's crafty and has a lot of time on her hands.) Are they something she takes off before bed, because she has to remain powered to power the barrier but wants to get comfortable (we know that magical girls can make part of their outfits disappear, we saw it with Harley and her knuckles)?

But then, ever since the page before the most recent one where she composed herself after coming apart a bit, the buttons on her outfit have disappeared...

(Also I didn't notice the power seems to be sourcing at least partially from the flower on her head. You can see a trail coming out of it really clearly on the most recent page, and more subtly on others.)

I might've written it off as a mistake if this wasn't an outfit Mary Cagle has drawn dozens of times and it didn't happen across two pages now, she seems very attentive to details and knows her fans are too. Really interested in what it means. Her eye color's been changing around, too.

Malpais Legate posted:

Doesn't Anemone allude to her being just short and mistaken for a child in the Halloween comic?
Yeah, but she's also talking about small children trick-or-treating. She could still be a teenager saying this - e.g., someone like Undine or Kokoro would be well past trick or treating age but they're not adults.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Dr Subterfuge posted:

This seems like a pretty good setup for Vedika to get desperate and try mental attacking a monster.

Yeah, this is what I was assuming - we're finally going to see what happens when Vedika touches a monster. Maybe she'll even make contact with Gooptessa that way??

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Brought To You By posted:

I think part of it is a shortage of actual MGs in the city and the barriers being largely functional at keeping out threats until a MG can arrive on the scene. Just about the only time we've seen a barrier breached it was Goops using a boss class monster correct?

The chapter where Kokoro explains her mother's death goes into this a bit. It sounds like breaches are uncommon but usually fatal ("If it's civilians, they're likely already..."). It seems to have been the work of one human-sized monster.

Probably not a boss considering its size and the fact that Mingxing was able to take it out on her own with one arm (unless she had some kind of adrenaline powerboost). I'm guessing even the average monster is pretty dangerous and impossible for civilians to fight. It seems like even a light contact wound can knock someone unconscious and give them goopy nightmares.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-26

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah, it happens all the time to the point that there's a term for it ("foster fail"). I don't think her falling into that trap while emotionally vulnerable from the loss of her cat would torch her relationship with her shelter when she's been doing this successfully for years. She also just raised like, $3500 in donations for them after Froyo's passing? I think they wouldn't blink at her adopting a whole litter right now. :v:

In general I think shelters don't mind as long as animals get good homes, but yeah, it can mean a person no longer being able to foster which is bad. But as has been pointed out, not an issue for her.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Oh man, you know how the whole thing with that monster that poked Kokoro and made her intangible is that it had to touch you to do it? And Vedika's whole thing is that she can do a mind meld by touching someone?

I wonder if that's going to come into play here, especially with her being up on higher ground (since it seemed to be able to fly). Is this how she finds out she can communicate with monsters?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

They don't poof automatically - the scripted annnouncement says to make sure the streets are clear of monsters on your way home, implying there is some sort of grace period where monsters are still alive and caution needs to be taken around them.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-4-page-2

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

A Sometimes Food posted:

On earlier discussion I'm confused, do MGs in this get a standard superhuman strength/fitness package or not? Training certainly effects it but are they innately kinda superhuman as in most MG stuff or not?

It definitely seems to affect them to some degree. In the first couple of chapters Sally eats poo poo and Sylvia eats poo poo which are both injuries the average person wouldn't shrug off, though it's not clear how much of that is like, plot armor/comic relief.

I also feel like it probably saved Starlight Spear's life when she was transporting baby Kokoro to the hospital - like even without the extreme speed, a normal person wouldn't have been able to survive that long - but I don't know. We also hear about MGs getting tons of injuries and ultimately being fine though I'm guessing a lot of that is due to healers. Rue also uses her magic to heal herself, so we can assume that to some degree their magic fuels strength and regenerative properties, though I'm getting into conjecture territory.

Also when trying to look for something I ran into this page which I'm really curious about still. I wonder if her dream was disturbing, or if she's musing about her mom and the fact that her powers went into her?

God this comic has so many nice details and is just so well put together. I love to reread it sometimes and just appreciate all the little worldbuilding poo poo that's in it. Thank you Mary for such a nice comic.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

This page is very unsettling. I feel like even if whoever's mindwiping her has good intentions here, it's coming across as very sinister.

This comic is so good and its only flaw is that there isn't more of it for me to read :colbert:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

We also see the outer barrier when Bud and Harley come across it.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-12

It doesn't particularly look porous to me, and their eyes gloss over with the memory wipe effect when they look at it, as if whatever they're seeing is being actively replaced. That leads further credence to the idea that monsters aren't coming in from the outside.

I think it's very relevant that Anemone thinks the great barrier is protecting us from monsters outside, though. Anemone is pseudo-omniscient and regularly says nothing should be able to happen without her being aware of it. Obviously there are gaps in her knowledge and things that are being kept hidden from her (like on this page), but if any normal person in the city had or was able to retain evidence that this was not the case, she would know about it. The same goes for her wondering if anyone is still alive outside. All of that points to the city government having no evidence of these things unless they've got some sort of memory shielding setup.

So the idea that the city knows something and is just covering up (e.g. Rue's conspiracy theories) is patently untrue unless they're working with the Woman in White or similar to disguise it from Magical Girl Omniscient Narrator.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah I feel like there's going to be a lot of societal unrest about the barrier failing. It's something that has apparently never happened before, and probably a lot of people are injured or dead. And I doubt the government is going to have a good answer as to why it happened or why it couldn't happen again. We don't even know if they have actual contact with Anemone and know she's the source of it.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-26

If you look at this page, Sunlight Spear assumes that a civilian firing off a flare means they're either dead or will be soon, even though the flare just went off. And we saw a lot of flares in this chapter. Sunlight Spear's comment was before monsters started getting more aggressive and numerous due to Goops' intervention, too.

As far as we're aware, the monsters are aggressive and work fast and can really quickly gently caress up ordinary people.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

This may be a bit of an "out there" theory, but I feel like Anemone's powers actually make her look more like the Woman In White. Her hair goes white and long and spreads out in all directions, and notably, her outfit loses a lot of its accessories (like buttons or her apron, even her shoes) and fans out at the bottom.

Or maybe it's supposed to resemble the sort of default magical girl dress that girls have in The Dream, perhaps representing a sort of raw untapped power state, which could explain why she's so insanely powerful compared to the other MGs we've seen.

Compare these:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-6
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-page-7

To this:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-page-5
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-page-6

And this:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-21
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-23

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Gonna double post because it deserves it

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-7-page-23

Holy poo poo, this page hits so much harder when you know that Kokoro's mother died protecting her from a monster, and couldn't protect her own family because she lost her powers when they went into Kokoro. And that Kokoro goes to a therapist and takes antidepressants.

"It's not your fault. No matter how much it feels that way, it's not." You can tell she's had to spend years convincing herself of that. :cry: This comic is so loving good, dude.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

isasphere posted:

That is such a good page, and honestly when this comic won me over. It was such a leap of faith from Undine to just finally tell someone the truth about the event, mysterious monster girl and all, but by that point Kokoro had been giving off green flags that she could be trusted with heavy emotional stuff, it's just that neither Undine nor the audience knew why.
It's so realistic, too. So often stories have the problem of the characters never just TALKING TO EACH OTHER and explaining what's going on, even if it would make way more sense if they did - they're artificially kept from doing so to keep the story going, because so many problems would be instantly resolved if the characters were simply on the same page.

But the characters regularly talk to each other and share information and poo poo STILL happens. Undine tells Kokoro! Undine tells their group! Undine tells an adult! Undine even tells Tessa, and Tessa's transformation doesn't happen because she doesn't have that information, it happens partly because she does, which makes it even scarier because she's fully informed of what Goops has done and still actively chooses this!

It's just such a good comic that actively tries to avoid the easy road in writing and I love it so much. :allears:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I really don't think it's a matter of Goops having taken over Tessa entirely. We have lines like this one that are obviously supposed to hit harder because of the double entendre. I don't think she'd have that pained smile if it was only Goops in there.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Very thankful that Mary has established that canonically animals are largely safe from the attacks of monsters.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

They said “other school” not “other magical girl school”. There is already at least one magical girl who goes to a regular girl school so why not just be another one of those?

The context just feels very much like they're referring to other magical girl schools imo. Like, "if she's a magical girl she probably goes (to this school for magical girls)" "there are a few smaller private ones".

I wonder if they have sports competitions between the big school and the smaller ones. Like is there a football rivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Brought To You By posted:

Been a while since we saw Ratman. I'd love his perspective on things especially with the barrier fuckup from last night.

Speaking of which.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-5-page-30

He literally, textually says "child soldiers". The next page has Undine saying "We're not kids, we're magical girls" to underline it's not just one guy's cynicism.

I'm not arguing you're in here to call the comic problematic or something, but this is the reason people are genuinely kind of confused about what you're trying to say, blacksocks.