Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I will play your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

please never feel bad about anything ecco says or does

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

JOHN CENA have you considered posting this game in the general TG recruitment thread? maybe we can get some fresh blood

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

tbh i was excited to play with sandnavyguy again, so im actually upset at that move

me too :( he played a real good game last time!

Retro Futurist posted:

This all sounds v fake

mmm I don't think scum-steak would fake this, feels pretty legit imo

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Disagree with the objectively the best call bigtime. Even then, why not play day 1 like you don't have it then if you don't like the consensus at the end of the day or if you're up on the block you can derail the consensus first vote? Throwing it out blindly doesn't really give any information.

yeah, it's fine to use it closer to the end of the day or once someone's really posting, but that just read as "has gun, wants to use it, blappo!" I think using it D2 to kill the second-place vote leader for D1 also makes sense, but not this.

not sure it's scummy though, just real dumb

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

cheese sandwich posted:

Objectively the best play is to toss it out d1. My reads are poo poo when I’m town anyways, I don’t trust my gut enough and second guess

look at mr. town, townposting like a townposter, and also shooting someone who's barely posted when he also admits that he doesn't trust his gut, so you can't even use the "he felt scummy" defense

##vote cheese sandwich

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I mean it's possible that town is only one of like two or three flavors and that the setup was specifically written to encourage this kind of horseshit

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

cheese sandwich posted:

C) he literally asked for it, chill out

cheese sandwich posted:

I have a gusher to give away! Who wants it

Or I could use it I guess, but I’m feeling charitable. I am an apple gusher

this makes it sound like you have something good to give out, not Incredible Gushing Death.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Do you think cheese is scum or are you just frustrated with how he used the dayvig?

I don't like the dayvig at all and his posting afterwards is souring me heavily. It definitely doesn't feel pro-town. Part of me is theorizing that cheese is like, a jester? But dayvig jester seems super loving easy to win with, and would just be a lovely unfun role for everyone else.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

tpink posted:

Maybe reading tea leaves too much, but sounds from sandnavyguy’s reaction like he knew what that gush action would do?

If SNG had the exact same action he'd definitely know, although it would be hilarious if we all had gushing abilities but they weren't all kills

also I'm not sure if I like Andy's plan - a lot of it hinges on having a setup where town is all/has all the dayvigs, and that seems like it would really gently caress up balance unless there's either a lot of scum, or if some of the scum are vig-proof in some way. Even one scum with a dayvig would make things incredibly murky based on the assumptions so far.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

is there a possibility of us not killing like five people today? should we maybe do that so we don't like, immediately somehow hit LYLO tomorrow or something? we could just play Mafia, for example, this

cheese sandwich posted:

Lol you’re trying to case me based on défenses that I haven’t even used, what is this. This is probably worse than steak with how hard you’re bandwagoning

in response to

Epsilon Plus posted:

cheese sandwich posted:

How often is a vig ever useful?

Objectively the best play is to toss it out d1. My reads are poo poo when I’m town anyways, I don’t trust my gut enough and second guess
look at mr. town, townposting like a townposter, and also shooting someone who's barely posted when he also admits that he doesn't trust his gut, so you can't even use the "he felt scummy" defense

##vote cheese sandwich

was a horseshit post. I point out that a. cheese shot someone who had barely posted, meaning when we get that flip we get almost no information from it and b. cheese draws attention to the fact that He's So Town, Towinest Town To Ever Town Townly, I call him on it and cheese's response is "look at this horrible post, look at this horrible poster who's just ~making poo poo up~, look at all the words I'm typing that mean nothing". Blapping someone with no basis D1 and insuring that we get no information from it is Not Town Béhaviouré and rather than try to actually refute it his response is "lol it was funny". come on!

CapnAndy posted:

If only town have dayvigs: We use my plan and we win
If everyone has dayvigs: We've basically got to start shooting people and just pray we hit the right ones

If anyone sees any flaws in my logic now would be a REALLY EXCELLENT time to point them out.

the flaw in your logic is that we're either right, and we win, or we're wrong and the game devolves into a burning clusterfuck (and also we lose). all it takes is one scum with a dayvig. or, like... what if scum are unviggable? so then we just lunch whoever doesn't die. what if there's also unviggable town? there's so much potentially going on under the hood and you want to basically roll the dice. could we at least table plan Kill Everyone Now until tomorrow?

also here's another issue:

Mr. Steak posted:

i have a 1-shot dayvig just like cheese did. i WILL shoot him before the day ends (unless a 3rd vig kills me first). maybe, MAYBE he'll end up posting more townie by then, and i'll let you know if that's the case. but until further notice, consider cheese a guaranteed flip at end of day.

steak's on the line to kill cheese, which you explicitly don't want to happen. do you think cheese is town, or scum? are you willing to put all your ducats on cheese being 100% town because he had a dayvig?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

maybe a better way of putting it is: presuming your plan is correct and we shouldn't shoot cheese, what will you say to convince steak?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

god drat I somehow missed the post where steak died, huh?

this definitely isn't embarrassing and my psyche has no need to recover because nothing happened

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

yuming posted:

As for the setup, because I am suspicious of cheese I think both scum and town could have vigkill.

Power of Pecota posted:

From your perspective, either all scum have dayvigs or all scum are bluffing about having them. Which way are you leaning?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

we could WIFOM about this pretty endlessly but I think I can condense it to three options re: cheese

a. is town, did it as a laugh, self-explanatory. lovely gameplay but whatcha gonna do! may have hit scum which will be neat.

b. is scum, did something scum will never do with the expectation that someone will bring up that exact point. not the most wise thing to do, but dumb scum can be super dangerous - I've purposefully made incredibly hamfisted moves as scum knowing they were incredibly dumb plays because surely scum wouldn't be that dumb, right? worth noting that there are a fair number of people now who think cheese is town, or are at least leaning town, when cheese's primary action this game has been to kill someone who, just on raw statistics, is likely to flip town - and if cheese is scum, they'll definitely flip town, because nobody's going to believe cheese bussed their scumbuddy with a hipshot vig. worth noting that cheese and SNG just played a game together where SNG domed two scum with two vigs. maybe if other people had posted asking for The Gift cheese would have "randomly" selected SNG?

and the way less likely but still on my mind c. cheese rolled scum and either does not want to be scum, hates their scum team or managed to really quickly suss out that this is going to be a dumb* game and wanted out real real quick. I've seen this happen and it's dumb and rare but it happens. not gonna seriously push for option c here but it's rattling around in my brain.

anyways andy is also very clear that anyone who shoots cheese will immediately die because cheese is integral to ~the plan~ and I really don't like how that feels or sounds

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

just to clarify, this is still the plan and I'm not missing any important addendums, right?

CapnAndy posted:

I had this thought too. Here's the thing, though: If it's true, the game is winnable today.

- Three more people shoot three other people, at random. It doesn't matter. What matters is that now we have four confirmed town and five unconfirmed. Worst case: 3 scum and 2 dayvigs remaining.

- Again picking at random, someone in the unconfirmed group has to shoot someone else. If they cannot do so, they're scum and one of our remaining dayvigs shoots them. Worst case is that they can, and the random target was the other townie, so: 8 alive, 3 unconfirmed.

- If that worst case comes up, we'll know when none of the remaining unconfirmeds can shoot each other, and oh look, there's all the scum. We vote one out each day.

So... we actually kinda need to figure out if we think it's true or not.

because this hinges entirely on town having all the vigs and scum having none of them. you're assuming that any town who has a dayvig is going to claim it, but not only is it possible for town to not have a dayvig (and look, yuming says they don't have a dayvig), I think you're glossing over the idea that any town who doesn't have a dayvig may not want to out themselves as not having a dayvig because they have Some Other Role. likewise, town who have Some Other Role may want to claim to have a dayvig so that scum don't go after them in the night hoping to nail a town power role. I think you're pushing for town to rack up a really impressive bodycount D1 in the hopes that your plan works out, but if there's any complicating wrinkle to it things are going to get somewhere between Bad and Awful come D2. if you think there's some pertinent point from your plan I'm missing I'd like to hear it, but unless the scum team has an unprecedented triple nightkill or something the risk/reward ratio feels way off

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

oh real quick mafia edit since I forgot to finish my thought:

* JOHN CENA your game is not dumb and I'm having fun thinking about it ilusm

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I'm pretty in favor of Plan Actually Play Mafia, The Game We Signed Up To Play, Where We Make Cases - Albeit Tenuous For Day One, Please Don't Bitch About Day One - And Make Decisions Based On Those Cases. hopefully we can staple on Plan Endlessly Masturbate About Setup Speculation though that's my favorite

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I think that a non-insignificant number of people who y'all are saying are softclaiming a vig do not actually have vigs. I think Everybody Has A Vig is a weird enough setup that it would have been mentioned by the mod, rather than us stumbling into it blindly.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

If Dead Cow flips scum, do you think it's likely that yuming is scum? If yuming somehow got shot before deadline and flipped scum while Dead Cow lived, would you be even firmer on Dead Cow being scum?

Power of Pecota posted:

Even if we don't reach a majority, I also want people to have their opinions on record, so far SEVEN people haven't voted yet in this game - I thought there might have been a votefinder reset after the Humalong gush but no, that's for the entire day

also yes this is irritating me, like it's been a weird game but a lovely voting record is better than no voting record

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Who specifically? I've tried to give a pretty clear opportunity for people to say they don't have a dayvig and are town to say as much, and town shouldn't be lying in claims or softclaims.

You said Hal softclaimed a vig and linked this post:

Hal Incandenza posted:

If all these vigs are 100% guaranteed to work (which is crazy) I sorta agree with the Andy idea, but I think only town having vigs seems sorta broken so that's a pretty big leap

This really doesn't feel like a softclaim to me.

We have like five hours to deadline, I think cheese is the scummiest so far but Dead Cow has some voting inconsistencies that have been pointed out that seem promising

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I have to go make some videos for my classes, I'll be gone a few hours. I'm voting Dead Cow when I get back, but I want to hear this claim and don't want to put them at -2 and come back to a dogpile and no posts.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

If Dead Cow is telling the truth, and if all town are vigs (still not 100% on this but it makes marginally more sense if there's a rolecop), that would be pretty towny - scum would have to claim vig, would be pushed into using it by town or risk getting shot by someone else. This would also make Dead Cow a pretty critical nightkill target, so if he makes it through the night, that's another thing to think about... hrm hrm hrm!

Assuming tpink uses their vig we're gonna have three flips at the end of the day, and that may be a compelling reason to no-lunch. If we gently caress up the vote and kill town, and if all three of the players yet to flip are revealed as town, we're in an incredibly lovely situation and we'd pretty much have to do Andy's plan, which still feels really tenuous and is relying on quite a bit of setup spec.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

mafia edit: assuming pecota uses their vig on tpink

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

yeah I'm gonna ##unvote and wait for the smoke to clear

Dead Cow posted:

Well it makes even more sense now if some of these vigs aren’t turning into vanilla but lied about it because they are scummy scum who lie

if you investigate someone who's used their vig they should still return as a One-Shot Vigilante or whatever, it's not like gushing changes your role

Power of Pecota posted:

You mean Spoonsy, right? I have no intention of using my vig today

god drat it this is what I get for trying to mafia while fixing my compute5r

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

yuming posted:

Thanks cheese :sun:

I’m trying to see the utility of Dead Cows rolecop. It only really helps if I come up “vanilla town” otherwise everyone else coming back vig is just whatever. It’s not useful for scum either in this setup because again I’m operating under the assumption they start the game with two vigs on their team.

Why this assumption? Two vigs out of... three scum, is the number we've been kicking around. Why only two?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

cheese sandwich posted:

I take this back, for some reason I thought you were epsilon

gee, thanks

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

as someone who used to get Nerds blizzards all the time: yeah artificial fruit flavors in ice cream typically suck

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

JOAT is typically like, doctor, cop, something and something, but there's no hard and fast rule for it - one of those one-shots could easily be a vig. Seems like a bad vote.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

cheese sandwich posted:

This is also sketching me out. If there’s a cactus gusher you can’t tell me he ran out of flavours and had to use apple twice

yeah, I had that thought too - we've had banana and cactus flip, so having to double up on apple feels really dumb, unless he's literally just using what appeared in the commercials as roles and there weren't thirteen unique freaky fruit-headed tweens to use? I'm too apathetic to do a deep dive into the Gushers Fan Wiki or whatever to determine if that's probable so I'm going to assume it's not

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I haven't really had time to think about the game overly much today. Andy, do you think your plan is still worthwhile? I can help execute it in the morning, or at least I can if I think it over some more and don't catch anything that would turn it from my current analysis of "probably a bad idea" to "definitely a bad idea".

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

yuming, just so I'm clear,

yuming posted:

I am going for a run now. If Andy shoots me remember my case and STAY TUNED for my exciting vanilla town flip.

this is you 100% claiming vanilla town? because if so, you dying is probably better for us than DC dying. DC's confirmed as a rolecop, and scum or not that gives us some kind of information. I'm leaning more towards aggressive town who misunderstood their results than scum on DC, IMO. Of course, they can both die today (and it's sounding likely), but if one has to go it's probably you.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

should we let Andy use his vig before we vote him out? or is that too risky? how firm are you on Andy being scum? given that I just saw the unvote, I'd guess not 100%.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

andy's been pushing his plan basically all game, it's been a huge conversation driver. basically, my thoughts up to him up to this point are either "andy is town but too blinded by his own glorious plan to deviate" or "andy is scum that knows something about the setup, which is why he's pushing this plan". that post I made was seeing how tied to it he still was, and his response has made me soften on him slightly; since he's posted since I started this post and has engaged in actual casemaking, I feel even more marginally better about him now. I don't think he's 100% town, but it takes a whole lot for me to be 100% on someone.

cheese sandwich posted:

Is there a downside to everyone flavour claiming? From what we’ve seen there isn’t much to infer from roles and I’m at least assuming most of us are one shot vig

I’m mostly curious if there are any other repeats

I don't mind flavor claiming if everyone else does.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Directly quoting you asking if I still thought my plan was worthwhile, less than two hours ago:

yeah, and your response has made me think you're less likely to be scum than town! I can bold stuff too!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

okay, I see the issue; yes, I probably should have worded my post better, I should have said "my thoughts about him through this game" rather than "up to this point". like a lot of my posts in mafia games I'm posting while doing some other (typically work-related) stuff in the background. I typed that out while I was in a meeting and didn't give it a once-over to insure that my written text conveyed my actual intention. I fully acknowledge that you're no longer stumping for The Plan. I'll Paypal you seven dollars as an apology. Is this better now?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

##gush Spoonsy

##vote CapnAndy

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

this seems pretty open and shut, ##vote hal

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

the concept of a coconut gusher is really gross, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

before anyone asks, I gushed Spoonsy having a feeling he was lurking scum. not doing a lot to further discussion, mostly just talking about vigging people. Andy immediately got suspicious to me because of the immediate about-face he took; I thought he was more likely to be scum than yuming and I was worried about Dead Cow not being scum and axing them before we got some more potential info about it. kind of a shame they got gushed before they could report their findings from the last night!