Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Here to gush~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkpS2Sdu2io

cheese sandwich, what was your old username?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Just wondering - I was reading along with Amnistar's last game and since I didn't recognize your username/av in that one I was surprised you remembered me

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Bad news, GUSH is down today

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

cheese sandwich posted:

How often is a vig ever useful?

Objectively the best play is to toss it out d1. My reads are poo poo when I’m town anyways, I don’t trust my gut enough and second guess

Disagree with the objectively the best call bigtime. Even then, why not play day 1 like you don't have it then if you don't like the consensus at the end of the day or if you're up on the block you can derail the consensus first vote? Throwing it out blindly doesn't really give any information.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Steak posted:

should i be embarrassed that i thought this was actually the gusher's stock at first?

Good news: General Mills stock is up

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know why the gently caress you'd lie about your literal flavor, but I'm an apple gusher, so doubly what the gently caress, cheese.

##vote cheese there can be only one

Do you have the same day action available?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Why would I possibly answer yes or no to that

If there are multiple dayvigs in a game this small, something's probably up, right? If you have the same flavor and you both have one available, then that gives us a pretty good idea where the non-standard setup in the OP is headed

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

look at mr. town, townposting like a townposter, and also shooting someone who's barely posted when he also admits that he doesn't trust his gut, so you can't even use the "he felt scummy" defense

##vote cheese sandwich

Do you think cheese is scum or are you just frustrated with how he used the dayvig?

If anyone's seen The Standoff at Sparrow Creek, I feel like cheese sandwich is in the Morris role here. I don't agree with the day action, but I don't think it really fits what scum would want to do here.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tpink posted:

Now we’re talking, phew.

##vote tpink - this sounds like the reaction of someone who doesn't have a dayvig to me~

Steak, I would highly advise against shooting cheese sandwich today - I really don't see the scum angle to burning a dayvig like that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Steak posted:

wow, so based on the softclaims, that's at least 4 players with a dayvig. that just makes me more confident that at least 1 scum player would have one too

Five by my count - cheese sandwich, you, me, Opop, and Andy (also Spoonsy previewing before submitting this)

If anyone wants to go on record that they don't have a dayvig as town I'll reconsider where I'm coming from, but setup-wise town dayvigs are mildly pro-scum (odds are higher they're hitting town by the numbers) and scum dayvigs are incredibly pro-scum (you can just straight-up skip LYLO/MYLO if you get there). I'm thinking town has them and scum doesn't - even if we figure out that's the gimmick pretty early on, it turns into who's bluffing about having a dayvig.

tpink posted:

That was in response to Steak committing to shoot cheese sandwich, silly.

I get it, but if you have a dayvig and you see that cheese sandwich and Steak have them too, why is that your reaction? As soon as cheese used his, my thought was "there's got to be a bunch of these floating around" since I have one too, hence my question to Andy.

I don't agree with cheese's move, but I don't see how shooting a random person who you know won't flip as scum out of the gate is the play as scum. Getting excited seeing town turning on each other for poorly used dayvigs? Now that's scum paper.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Spoonsy posted:

It honestly looks like that may be the way this game unfurls.

Do we want to get together before lunch and just (don't write gush in each other's faces, don't write gush in each other's faces) gush all over the place?

Also probably obvious from context in my last post, but I think we can and should slow this down and play it rather than going all Free Fire (2016). I'm expecting some itchy gusher fingers at the end of the day because it'd be silly to expect anything else, but I think a gush-off right away is a good way to lock in a town loss.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tpink posted:

You're again misinterpreting my post, even after I clarified it - my reaction wasn't "oh wow, Steak has a dayvig too," it was "oh, Steak said he's committed to shooting cheese." I don't know why that's so unclear to you.

Ummmm how do you (or cheese for that matter) know that sandnavyguy won't flip as scum?

:thunk:

tpink, you are voting cheese sandwich because you believe he is scum, correct?

Do you think as scum, his first move in the game would be to immediately shoot another member of the scumteam?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Wait, looking back you're not voting cheese right now - still, signing on with a "now we're talking" on him getting shot at the end of the day is basically the same thing, you're saying you want to see him removed from the game

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Okay, I get where you're coming from there.

Now, do you have a dayvig?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Steak posted:

more seriously tho, this many vig's, even if we're all town, means the scum could also easy win today too

Oh, 100%. This is a chaos setup.

Mr. Steak posted:

for the record, in the event anyone decides to vig randomly in case of being nightkilled or whatever, i think it'd be best to target someone who no longer has a dayvig. it'd probably be better for scum to eliminate net vig charges in town's possession, plus the flip of someone who vigged someone else has high potential to be informative

Strong disagree here from what I was saying earlier balance-wise - with this many vigs I think it's unlikely scum have them. If everyone has a vig period, then for every scum there's effectively a free nightkill, it moves the balance from "can end on D1" to "probably ends D2 at the latest"

CapnAndy posted:

If the scum aren't vigs and if we do exactly my plan, we win.

Big ifs, but the plan itself works.

That makes sense to me - we've got some time to set it up though, I'd be really interested if anyone claims as town without the ability to gush.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

First things first: would anyone like to assert that they are town and do not have a dayvig?

Going through the player list, I feel like almost everyone has either claimed/softclaimed/implied they had a dayvig in context (like, if Hal or Epsilon said they were town and didn't have a dayvig after the linked post, it would give me pause).

I think the only people who can realistically claim not to have a vig as town at this point are tpink and the three people who haven't really said anything yet (Dead Cow, Mr. Humalong, yuming). (Preview edit - hi yuming! When you catch up let us know if you have a dayvig too)

Spoonsy posted:

I mean unless I'm shot before I do it, I intend on shooting someone before hammer today. Because normal keep your powder dry vig rules seem to not apply here.

Is this for like chaos reigns purposes or for Andy's plan, and do you have a planned target?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Andy, I see where you're coming from and don't see any problems assuming the town has vigs, scum doesn't scenario.

I'd like to see tpink gush someone if we follow that plan - I really can't shake that the reaction immediately after Steak's claim doesn't sound like someone who had a dayvig and just saw another used and a third one claimed.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

maybe a better way of putting it is: presuming your plan is correct and we shouldn't shoot cheese, what will you say to convince steak?

I would say :rip: because he died

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Dead Cow posted:

I mean, I think the correct thing to do today is wait for the flip, see what information we get. However from just finishing up Sealab mafia, the idea of everyone shooting each other sounds like a good time

This post was right before Humalong gushed Steak when the only flip (minus the nightkill) would be sandnavyguy.

Dead Cow, what do you think we could actually take from that other than cheese probably being town if sng flipped scum? Not liking the shift into waiting to do anything until D2 here...

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The OP has SNG and Steak's names blacked out with spoiler tags and "KILLED D1" next to them, I'm pretty sure they're dead. Also

JOHN CENA posted:

flip will be posted when the day ends.

seems pretty definitive - if there's anything that counters a dayvig, it's not in play with either of them unless someone has like a Umineko no Naku Koro ni - inspired reset mechanic in the Gushers minigame

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

yuming posted:

As for the setup, because I am suspicious of cheese I think both scum and town could have vigkill. I have no evidence of protective roles however and without that this is WILD WILD WEST. I don’t see how it balances out but I’m not confident it is meant to.

From your perspective, either all scum have dayvigs or all scum are bluffing about having them. Which way are you leaning?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Also ##vote Dead Cow I'd rather have my vote here

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I guess what I'm getting at is that there is no "could" from yuming's perspective unless you're considering the bluffing aspect - everyone else has either dayvigged, claimed a dayvig, or alluded toward having a dayvig. I feel like balance-wise the bluffing option makes way more sense and I don't like going toward a vote on someone who's already used theirs with the scum bluffing option in play.

Besides that, the cheese sandwich option feels bad to me - it was an impulsive itchy trigger finger shot, but who sees that they have a dayvig as scum and immediately shoots from the hip with it?

Scum could use it to shoot town who *looks* scummy whenever they want, either to change the momentum of the day or straight-up win if they do it late enough. I don't see the point of blasting someone in jokephase and immediately putting a target on yourself.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

This seems implausible why? How many people have not claimed a dayvig? No, seriously, I'm not keeping count, but it seems like a lot of people already have.

The way I've read it, literally everyone in the game other than yuming (and maybe Dead Cow, who's sidestepped the topic) is somewhere on the spectrum of implying to demonstrating that they have a dayvig

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

My preference is plan actually trying to play mafia, but we've got a lot of inertia right now. I want to hear some takes on anything beyond the idea of pistols at dawn from like Opop, Hal, and Spoonsy

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I don't want to see Andy gushed or executed today under any circumstances - I have a really hard time seeing scum making a flavor counterclaim right out of the gate like he did with cheese sandwich

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know why the gently caress you'd lie about your literal flavor, but I'm an apple gusher, so doubly what the gently caress, cheese.

##vote cheese there can be only one

and I like how active he's been in planning - I think the winning move for scum in a game with this many dayvigs floating around is to stay low profile, keep your head down, and let everyone else kill each other while doing the minimum to put yourself on anyone's list of who they'd want to gush. (ie, exactly how Dead Cow's been playing)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

What if we no-voted today and just saw some flips? Two deaths is quite enough unless we're doing any of the shooting plans.

I'd be really surprised if nobody gushed last minute or in the lead-up to the deadline regardless of what thread consensus is - Spoonsy's already said he was planning on it and Steak said as much too before he got gushed.

Even if we don't reach a majority, I also want people to have their opinions on record, so far SEVEN people haven't voted yet in this game - I thought there might have been a votefinder reset after the Humalong gush but no, that's for the entire day

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tpink posted:

I’m really struggling with these posts because the idea of vanilla town with no vig seems pretty fundamentally inconsistent with most of the roles that people claimed or soft-claimed.

Vote DC with me! yuming claimed hers as soon as she caught up with the game with nobody else at the time claiming to not to have a vig - presuming a lot of deaths because of how many dayvigs are floating around, I feel like it makes much more sense to bluff in that scenario, assume the game will end before you're called on to gush someone, and not make yourself stick out from the crowd as the one person without it. It reads as way more credible to me.

DC claimed after practically everyone had vigs and even commented partway on it

Dead Cow posted:

I mean, I think the correct thing to do today is wait for the flip, see what information we get. However from just finishing up Sealab mafia, the idea of everyone shooting each other sounds like a good time

a few posts after I specifically brought up this

Power of Pecota posted:

Going through the player list, I feel like almost everyone has either claimed/softclaimed/implied they had a dayvig in context (like, if Hal or Epsilon said they were town and didn't have a dayvig after the linked post, it would give me pause).

I think the only people who can realistically claim not to have a vig as town at this point are tpink and the three people who haven't really said anything yet (Dead Cow, Mr. Humalong, yuming). (Preview edit - hi yuming! When you catch up let us know if you have a dayvig too)

DC didn't want to claim it then and didn't do so until yuming had already done so. DC was purposely holding it back to avoid attention, and this was with Andy's plan already out there on the previous page - if I saw that in DC's position, I'd want to say "No, this is fundamentally flawed, I'm town and don't have a vig so it's operating on false premises". DC did absolutely nothing against Andy's plan because they just wanted to see death (because they're scum)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

*in a pro-town voice, after reading a plan that works on a fundamental assumption I know not to be true*

Dead Cow posted:

I like the everyone shoot everyone idea

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Power of Pecota posted:

If anyone wants to go on record that they don't have a dayvig as town I'll reconsider where I'm coming from, but setup-wise town dayvigs are mildly pro-scum (odds are higher they're hitting town by the numbers) and scum dayvigs are incredibly pro-scum (you can just straight-up skip LYLO/MYLO if you get there). I'm thinking town has them and scum doesn't - even if we figure out that's the gimmick pretty early on, it turns into who's bluffing about having a dayvig.

I had this thought too. Here's the thing, though: If it's true, the game is winnable today.

- Three more people shoot three other people, at random. It doesn't matter. What matters is that now we have four confirmed town and five unconfirmed. Worst case: 3 scum and 2 dayvigs remaining.

- Again picking at random, someone in the unconfirmed group has to shoot someone else. If they cannot do so, they're scum and one of our remaining dayvigs shoots them. Worst case is that they can, and the random target was the other townie, so: 8 alive, 3 unconfirmed.

- If that worst case comes up, we'll know when none of the remaining unconfirmeds can shoot each other, and oh look, there's all the scum. We vote one out each day.

So... we actually kinda need to figure out if we think it's true or not.

Literally in point one, being able to gush is equated with being confirmed town. The whole thing is predicated on "If [town having dayvigs and scum not]'s true, the game is winnable today."

On that note, this post:

CapnAndy posted:

Epsilon Plus posted:

also I'm not sure if I like Andy's plan - a lot of it hinges on having a setup where town is all/has all the dayvigs, and that seems like it would really gently caress up balance unless there's either a lot of scum, or if some of the scum are vig-proof in some way. Even one scum with a dayvig would make things incredibly murky based on the assumptions so far.
Absolutely very true, and we shouldn't do it unless we're sure.

First things first: would anyone like to assert that they are town and do not have a dayvig?

was made three hours before this post:

Dead Cow posted:

I like the everyone shoot everyone idea

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

I think that a non-insignificant number of people who y'all are saying are softclaiming a vig do not actually have vigs. I think Everybody Has A Vig is a weird enough setup that it would have been mentioned by the mod, rather than us stumbling into it blindly.

Who specifically? I've tried to give a pretty clear opportunity for people to say they don't have a dayvig and are town to say as much, and town shouldn't be lying in claims or softclaims.

Also

JOHN CENA posted:

Gushers Mafia game for 13 players. Non-standard setup. Beware. No millers of any kind. Standard lurking rules in place.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

cheese sandwich posted:

I also like the shoot everyone idea. I’m assuming rn that most if not all town are probably the vig holders so people that are able to get shots off should be able to confirm their roles & the longer we sit on it and analyze the more enthusiasm is going to drop off and let people second guess

What do you think about my case on Dead Cow?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

If Dead Cow flips scum, do you think it's likely that yuming is scum? If yuming somehow got shot before deadline and flipped scum while Dead Cow lived, would you be even firmer on Dead Cow being scum?

also yes this is irritating me, like it's been a weird game but a lovely voting record is better than no voting record

I don't want to set the former up as a strict "if A, then B" - what gives me pause more than both claiming no dayvig is this, which reads as potential light bussing to me where yuming might have wanted to get on record as calling DC scummy, but not to back it up with a vote or anything:

yuming posted:

Nothing else stands out like WOW especially since things have happened so fast. Dead Cows wait until flips comment is a bit out of sync with the thread but not in an inherently scummy way imo.

if it's the latter, yes, but I'd be irritated that someone decided to gush yuming instead of DC. I can see a town yuming/scum DC, I can see a scum yuming/scum DC, but scum yuming/town DC doesn't make sense to me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm meeting up with a good friend for the first time in person since COVID-19 became a thing in about half an hour - not sure if it'll be an all-day thing, but I'll try and check in periodically on my phone and be here for deadline if I'm back by then~

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

If Hal doesn't have a dayvig, why would he agree with the Andy idea? It's literally based on the assumption that town has vigs and scum doesn't. It considers people who have used a dayvig confirmed town.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

If I weren't heading out shortly I'd wait for Hal to say this himself, but I read "sorta agree" there as agreeing with the base plan, but being wary of potential unknown factors that would throw it off. You can't agree with it if you don't agree with the main assumption it's entirely built off of

Like, if we were to do that plan and Hal was called on to gush, does he say "Actually I can't, sorry!" and then get immediately gushed himself? Town without a dayvig should totally object there.

~memories of old games~ in Pander's Edgeworth: Ace Attorney game my flavor was Franziska von Karma, I was town, and at one point someone claimed they knew for a fact Franziska von Karma was scum. I had to argue it from the block, but I knew that had to be 3p looking for a target or something similar so I claimed and I got them executed instead. If I just sat on that, it wouldn't have helped town and it would have wasted people's time and energy looking for something under a false premise that they wouldn't know is false.

(Also goddamn, I missed SA mafia)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Spoonsy posted:

Hi my rng said 11 so I’ll do 12 instead.

Tpink, before I gush, anything to claim?

Why are you RNGing, take some responsibility for your gush target!

I still like the DC vote, rolecop doesn’t change the inconsistency I saw and it seems more useful to scum anyway. Like, besides godfather or framer what would really be a smoking gun? Meanwhile scum wants to know any power roles in the mix

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

mafia edit: assuming pecota uses their vig on tpink

You mean Spoonsy, right? I have no intention of using my vig today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

##vote Dead Cow

It was going to take something big to make me vote anywhere else (I don't buy this "being cagey" story, it's still co-signing on to the plan when you know it's based on a fundamentally flawed assumption) and tpink literally just flipped as town with a dual role and you're voting Humalong for having a dual role in the most charitable reading.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I used another to track someone to you last night, but I’m not going to out them because something tells me it wasn’t a negative thing they did

You’re just going off a very bad hunch here

I hope this was an investigation, and if so I'd be on board with that person claiming the result - we're at 9 people left, we haven't had any protective roles flip, and Humalong's JOAT kit probably contains a protection or something~