Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

dead gay comedy forums posted:

just made chili and goddamn owns

also, protip: double your loving seasoning. No, wait, it is going to be weakass still, triple it. Beans respond really well to spices, use that to your advantage. I mean, have you seen Arab cuisine and chickpeas? Mexican food and red/black beans?

I have to agree. I think when most people start their hand at homecooking they feel it tastes more tasteless or not as good as restaurant quality and get bummed out because they followed allrecipee.com or healthcookedmeals.blog. There's sort of an diametrically opposed goals. People want to think they're cooking a healthy meal for themselves and recipes that seem popular must be popular because its good not because its light on poo poo; however, reality is most restaurant food has an absolutely fuckton more spices, salt, oils/butter than people would feel comfortable with if they were doing it at home because it seems like ~wow thats so much spice~. I understand they sort of want to hedge their bets for some people who dont like much flavor, but recipes really need to fuckoff with this 1/4 tsp of X, Y, and Z poo poo.

like especially if you're making some sort of curry/dal/chilli/etc, load it the gently caress up with a variety of spices . as long as it's not overloaded with salt/cayenne pepper, overloading with spice is usually very hard to do.

more cumin, tumeric, coriander, chili powder, pepper onion powder, a dash of nutmeg/cardamon/clove, etc, its all good and more the better most of the time because recipes always call for an absolute pitiful amount of it. i always add 4x the amount of garlic things call for as well. and just feel free to substitute stuff if you don't have something instead of panicking that This One Ingredient is going to make or break it--it won't.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU