Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pipe
Good boy(?)
Better boy(?)
Best boy(?)
View Results

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

phbr posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the first episode was the whole "students reciting the history of the world" sequence. It's an uninteresting way to convey that information to the audience to begin with, and it felt especially pointless here because the rest of the episode actually did a really good job of showing everything in a more natural way.

Yeah that was kind of lazy. The students being assigned their jobs did just as much worldbuilding really.

They've created a really neat setting here that I hope doesn't go to waste as some of the setup has a bit of Franxx vibes (without the sexual overtones.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have to admit I wasn't as sold on the twist as folks here seem to be but by episode end I really want to see where this craziness goes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
They also implied that the loss of a Gear body is a big loss to its user even if it's not fatal.

Also was this episode implying that Natsume couldn't become a soldier just because she is a non-entity in the system?

I'm guessing some higher up humans know her deal and kept her application from even showing up to avoid red flags.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a big loss to a user like how losing progress in an MMO is a big loss is how it seemed to be implied.

I meant more that the MMO itself seems really heavily tied to the lives of the AI folks. Falling behind in the game seems to carry some huge social weight.

And cheating appears to be a death sentence.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Demicol posted:

If the speculation(?) above is to be believed that the robot people just take control of the human bodies then yeah.

Nah the implication is a lot more solid that the Gears are the actual AIs but some humans can join the group and are treated as npc soldiers by the AIs. Our mechanic only looks human because he's under cover.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The origin of the monsters would be an obvious one. I don't think they've really tried to explain the gadoll (sp?) at all.

But I think the show is mostly going to be about Natsumi and Kaburagi further breaking the system in some way as it goes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The homes might not be flooded.

Kaburagi's house has a door that looks pretty watertight. They all might be that way.

Rip to anyone caught outside.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I love how Rinmei is both a best friend and antagonizer. I figured they were just pure rivals.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just noticed that the chart is also confirming that Minato is a cyborg as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
TBH I wouldn't be surprised if breaking "Deca-Dence" is only the first act.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's probably how this will be resolved Kakaguri is going to somehow rope his veteran friends in showing up early and the combined force will win the impossible event. The admins will be annoyed but tolerate it because it's still an epic storyline that'll get people playing, but it might get Natsume noticed for drama.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah it actually worked well here.

Kabaguri is a decent dude and I hope things work out for him as much as I hope they will for Natsume.

I loved his response to Natsume joining the underground fight and succeeding. He wasn't mad in the end, he was proud she'd accomplished her goal.
Real dad energy.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 30, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The general style of the humans/Gears kinda reminds me of Gurren Lagann in a good way.

I think a lot of it is the color palette

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I wonder if this is going to turn into Kabu and the folks within the game trying to act out a dramatic storyline that keeps the bosses happy while most of them not knowing they're playing part

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I really like how much this episode is building on the cyborg society. Especially the touch that all the management cyborgs have the same body model.

And how much Natsume has changed Kabu.

Loved the outcome of the Kabu/Donatello fight. I'm sure his gang are going to be core to the finale given they're in the OP

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 12, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's been brought up.

They're post humans.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
We're obviously supposed to see them as human enough to sympathize with the downtrodden of them.

That's probably all that really matters though I wouldn't be surprised if this ends with Kabu and some others breaking their limiters so much they end up back in "human" bodies permanently.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's mostly a clip show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

If I don't see Pipe next episode I swear to GOD.

I actually could see them making an exception remember that he is also a "bug." It only makes sense he's not attached to their network.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I am really convinced Pipe isn't actually dead. This show isn't that mean.

This is almost certainly going to end with the "bugs" saving the day and convincing Huginn's superiors that "bugs are necessary" isn't it?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wouldn't that kill all of the cyborgs though?

Their avatar bodies are stored inside Deca Dence or somewhere planetside right? Maybe this'll end with everyone back in a humanoid body.

And yeah I think it might be important that the gadoll didn't attack until it was attacked. I'm wondering if they're implying it's rather innocent.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mirage posted:

It was folly to hope, but Pipe remaining dead at the end of the series was kind of a surprise anyway.

FANTASTIC ending though. This whole series was a heck of a ride.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't sneak in another of Pipe's particular breed at the nursery

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

On topic, I can't believe Pipe is loving dead. I agree that there should have been at least another Pipe in the gadoll petting zoo, which is where I plan to work full-time in the post-post-apocalypse.

Or Natsume chilling with a Pipe 2 at the end. Either would've been nice.

But overall I think Pipe just deserved better and they could've easily not had him die because he was a bug. I know they were going for some minor pathos with his death but it just didn't land.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah all that's mentioned is that she helped make the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah Natsume being sidelined for a good portion of the second half was the part that irked me. We also had the weird prison bit and such that while plot important felt like side stories at the same time?