Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pipe
Good boy(?)
Better boy(?)
Best boy(?)
View Results

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Deca-dence

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1271276361223671808

Story posted:

Many years have passed since humanity was driven to the brink of extinction by the sudden emergence of the unknown life forms Gadoll. Those humans that survived now dwell in a 3000m-high mobile fortress Deca-dence built to protect themselves from the Gadoll threat.
Denizens of Deca-dence fall into two categories: Gears, warriors who fight the Gadoll daily, and Tankers, those without the skills to fight. One day, Natsume, a Tanker girl who dreams of becoming a Gear meets surly Kaburagi, an armor repairman of Deca-dence.
This chance meeting between the seemingly two opposites, the girl with a positive attitude who never gives up on her dreams and the realist who has given up on his, will eventually shake the future course of this world.

Blurb posted:

A brand new original TV animation project from the up-and-coming and talented animation studio NUT that brought the megahit “The Saga of Tanya the Evil” series to both the TV screen and the silver screen is now finally on the move!
Bringing together an all-star staff of creators and artists, this gut-wrenching Sci-Fi action epic depicted on an astounding scale will reunite the golden duo of world-renowned director Yuzuru Tachikawa (10 billion-yen international blockbuster “Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer”, his self-penned “Death Parade” etc.) and scriptwriter Hiroshi Seko (“Banana Fish”, “Vinland Saga” etc.) who worked together on the popular TV animation adaptation of “Mob Psycho 100.”

Website: http://decadence-anime.com/en/ (yes, an ENGLISH version and it's all good english afaict)

As said in the blurb above, the series is directed by the creator and director of Death Parade and the short that inspired it. He also directed the Mob Psycho 100 anime. The studio at the helm has only one other series under its belt but at the moment looks promising.

Funimation, Wakanib, and Animelab have the stream rights for the West.

Characters

Natusme

quote:

A girl who lost her father and her right arm due to a Gadoll attack when she was a child. She dreams of joining The Power and fight the Gadoll as a warrior, but reality bites, and ends up working under Kaburagi as an armor repairer. Cheerful, energetic, and reckless.

Kaburagi

quote:

A veteran armor repairer, he is blunt and surly. Was once a great warrior but has lost the ardor to fight and spends his days apathetically. But his state of mind starts to change through his encounter with Natsume who never gives up on her dreams.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Studio Nut

I think you mean NUT

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm tempted to ask for a change to the thread title, because holy gently caress this series took a hosed up turn. Also, I'm not sure what the new thread title would be that wouldn't also give it away.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So presumably part of Natsume's accident hosed up her chip and had her declared dead and no one working for the game noticed

If you haven't checked out the website, (but have seen the series), do so. There's some neat stuff like blurbs about the Gadoll

Avispine:

Octhulu:

Giland:

Deca-Dence concept art:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

I thought the first episode was kinda boring and figured something was up with how weird the gears looked. The second episode made things much more interesting and I'm glad they got the secret ulterior motives thing out in the open right off the bat.

I thought the First episode was already relatively interesting, but I did wonder about the same. Episode 2 obviously dialed it up a notch

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

They also implied that the loss of a Gear body is a big loss to its user even if it's not fatal.

Also was this episode implying that Natsume couldn't become a soldier just because she is a non-entity in the system?

I'm guessing some higher up humans know her deal and kept her application from even showing up to avoid red flags.

It's a big loss to a user like how losing progress in an MMO is a big loss is how it seemed to be implied. Natsume's application not getting accepted, I think seems to be because she's missing in the system such that she cannot be accepted to become an NPC. I assume The Power is special in how it accepts humans compared to the other occupations as it's the one that's the most Gears facing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Preview for episode 3 is up on the site

quote:

Natsume learns how to fight against the Gadolls under the tutelage of Kaburagi. Though the training by the former top-notch warrior is harsh, Natsume perseveres, and her fighting skills & physical abilities improve dramatically in a short time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ep 3 basically makes it clear who is what and we get a clearer picture of what the society of cyborgs is like.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Also with the fact that apparently everything is recorded and is available for purchase with gacha dollars you'd think someone would have caught on.

It's the premium gear currency that's tracked, not the ordinary human currency, I think. All of the human purchases are done by passing physical coins around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

They seem to be a fully uploaded society of human scale AIs based off human brain scans, nothing which hasn’t been previously explored in sci fi. Governed by more sophisticated AIs, though these overlords don’t seem godlike, and they have certain taboos against self modification and violation of privacy.

It's this, I think. Now, there could be an argument that they can't be cyborgs as these aren't human bodies at this point and are just consciousnesses in a shell, but that's basically semantics about what constitutes a cyborg.

The website touches on this:

http://decadence-anime.com/en/special-glossary.html posted:

Cyborgs

Originally meant humans who had some part of their bodies changed to machinery, but gradually the trend shifted towards mechanizing the entire body. Though they are still called Cyborgs, they are quite different beings compared to the early Cyborgs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

My favorite thing in this show is that everyone is fooled by Pipe's goofy outfit. Do real dogs even exist in Deca-Dence? If not, wouldn't the fact that a dog running around in itself be strange? I want someone to notice so that in future episodes he has to be dressed up in increasingly elaborate and adorable disguises.

Idk if it's meant to be a dog or a small child

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's a shame that images can't be thread sub-titles.

The quote could at least be made one. "Ceci n'est pas une Pipe"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's interesting that the Tankers in the Power had coats that looked like they were made by the rolling gadoll that they fought underground.

They also have the pics for the Stargate on the website:

http://decadence-anime.com/en/special-gadoll.html

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The preview for the next ep is on the main website and all speculation on this is answered swiftly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's this, I think. Now, there could be an argument that they can't be cyborgs as these aren't human bodies at this point and are just consciousnesses in a shell, but that's basically semantics about what constitutes a cyborg.

The website touches on this:

http://decadence-anime.com/en/special-glossary.html posted:

Cyborgs

Originally meant humans who had some part of their bodies changed to machinery, but gradually the trend shifted towards mechanizing the entire body. Though they are still called Cyborgs, they are quite different beings compared to the early Cyborgs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

my thinking is that if they were that, they'd straight up say "these guys are 100% machine" instead of leaving the wording ambiguous. i think we're kinda meant to be looking at them and going "ok so where is the human under all of this?" rather than "so they're basically androids"

i think they're like, one step away from being ship of thesus cyborgs

It's a semantics/philosophical thing, I feel. (Also remember that it's a translation, albeit a rather professional one so there might be room for error.) Is human consciousness something that is considered another component of the human body or is it distinct and separate? Put another way, if this was a reverse situation where it was a human body (say put into a vegetative state for some reason) and a new AI consciousness was implanted into the body, would it be an android or a cyborg?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Can't wait for Kabu to tear down Deca-Dence and replace it with a nice racing game that all the tankers get to enjoy too.

Kaburagi gonna replace the MMO with chill Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon type game

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jerkface posted:

You know kabu and natsume are gonna be sweatin big time to go back and check up on pipe and ur gonna expect the worst and then hes gonna be like "blarf?" from out of a nook or cranny cuz he don't got a chip

The odds of Kabu dying are higher than Pipe at this point with all of the flags he's tripped.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

novaSphere posted:

I think it's strange that the factory staff would have kept a gadoll around that could reproduce in that manner (and not know it could even do that) and then get that large so quickly

I mean they manufactured it and it was presumably chipped, so how did they not know its capabilities?

I'm probably thinking too hard about this :shobon:

It was a buggy Gadoll so why waste time looking into it. I expect Hugin and/or Munin is gonna get eaten though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Their avatar bodies are stored inside Deca Dence or somewhere planetside right? Maybe this'll end with everyone back in a humanoid body.

And yeah I think it might be important that the gadoll didn't attack until it was attacked. I'm wondering if they're implying it's rather innocent.

The consciousnesses are transmitted from the cyborg bodies to the avatars. They're not permanent housing.

From what's been shown the rouge gadoll was scavenging and hadn't actually encountered anything alive by the time it approached Deca-dence iirc. It's just been devouring all it could see.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mirage posted:

I don't think this was ever meant to be a story about revolution. It seems more like a story about how things are better if we all take each other into account. The exciting world of Deca-Dence was a big lark for the cyborgs but hell for humans. The farming sim amusement park thing it turned into was mutually beneficial. The cyborgs never even really thought about humans except as petting zoo specimens until Kaburagi sacrificed himself to save them. They'd gotten so concerned about "bugs" and maintaining the System that they lost sight of the big picture.

But in the end, cyborg society didn't change at all; they still lived on the ship and used Deca-Dence for fun. This time, though, humans get to live meaningful lives.

I think this is a more accurate interpretation than anyone else's attempts to try and pull anti-capitalist or anti-authoritarian messages out of this. And it's not as though cyborg society has changed really. It's really just this little square of the universe that's a little different and rather than the nominal zoo animals continually being abused and slaughtered as the sideshow they were considered to be, they're now treated with respect and humanity.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Kaburagi immediately calls the System out for trying a puppetmaster defence in order to convince itself it's completely in charge. It's like a real-world capitalist claiming crashes are just part of a functional society. Don't mistake ego for competence.

Maybe, but you're assuming that the system cared enough about what Kaburagi thought to lie as you claim rather than just be honest about it.

It's basically the scene with Neo and the Architect as Neo's told that his this has happened before and will happen again and he welcome to try changing things if it makes him feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

There was that robot with the comically large chin who made booze out of his excrement and made a tragic sacrifice to atone for his mistake in siding with Snidely Bugface The Traitor

It wasn't his excrement he was making it from. It was gadoll excrement.