Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Sugartime Jones

In spite of the chaotic horrors ravaging the earth, sometimes it's good to sit back, tune out, and give yourself cancer for a short-term buzz. This thread is intended to help you do that.

Why smoke a pipe?

The main reasons are pleasure, economy and aesthetics. Pipe tobacco smells considerably better than other forms of tobacco during and after being consumed. It gives you a buzz, and if you're addicted already like I am it fills your need beyond single-use tobacco products. Your pipe will gain character and smoke better the more you use it, and you will get better at smoking it by finding strategies to maximise your pleasure.

Pipe tobacco is insanely cheap: 1oz of my favorite tobacco will last me around 20 bowls and costs about $2.50. Since I only occasionally use my pipe, this lasts me about two months. Compare to a pack of cigarettes which will last a normal smoker a day or two at $6-12 depending on where you live. Pipes can cost you anywhere from $10 if you're cheap up to $500 if you're a fool and consider it a luxury item, but most starter pipes cost ~$40. If you're wise, it may last you a while.

When buying your first pipe, or a new one if you're a longtime pipe user, the motto to go buy is "buy what you like." There are a few basic varieties of pipes which will be covered shortly, but if you want to give it a try, find something you like for ~reasons~ and go for it. Even if you decide you don't like it, you can hang on to the pipe and give it a try at another time with better guidance, different tobacco, or a new attitude. Pipes don't take up much space and they're not as fragile as glass pipes used for other (hopefully green or greenish-purple) substances.

Simply put, pipes are an economical and feel-good solution to more vulgar forms of nicotine consumption.

Why not smoke a pipe?

It will still give you cancer, age you prematurely and turn your teeth and skin yellow you disgusting freak. Don't smoke.

I'm ready to buy a pipe and tobacco, what should I get?

Glad you asked! There are a variety of pipes and tobacco to choose from, and the combination that's right for you may take some experimentation. Pipe varieties include Briar wood, Meerschaum and Corncob, along with other less common types that have their own benefits and drawbacks. It's best to go for briar wood if you don't smoke it every day and like the aesthetics, corn cob if you're a hillbilly and want the best overall experience, and meerschaum if you want to smoke more frequently and want a more durable pipe. They come in a variety of shapes and styles.

Tobacco can be cut different ways, cured different ways, be more or less smooth or aromatic and come from different parts of the world. Again, the key is to find something you like and try it. If there's an aspect of it that displeases you, try something else! Buy an ounce or two of different stuff online and read the descriptions...try to anticipate what aspects will please you and just go for it. Pipe tobacco is cheap enough that if you don't like one variety you're not out a lot of cash, and once you find something you like better you can buy a couple ounces of that and store it in an airtight jar for when you're ready to use it.

Personally, I generally use a bent billiard estate briar pipe and a type of tobacco called Lane Limited 1-Q. I used to know it as Beaverkill before my tobacconist was murdered. It's smooth, rich, and good for a beginner or experienced pipe smoker. It tends to be softer than other varieties I've tried, which makes it more pleasurable to manipulate in the bowl and pack. I would highly recommend it as a starting point, and you can adjust and experiment from there if you decide you want to continue smoking a pipe.

Okay I've got my poo poo, how do I smoke this thing?

Okay tough guy, you've got your pipe and tobacco, are you ready? No, you're not. Not by a longshot. You still need a pipe tool, pipe cleaners, and some way to light the drat thing. And then you need to actually know how to smoke it properly so you don't burn your hand or your lips or your pipe like a dummy.

Pipe tools typically consist of three separate tools rolled into one device. This will be a pick, tamper and reamer. The pick and reamer are used for either cleaning the pipe or poking through your tobacco if you pack it too tightly. The tamper is god and you will get a lot of use out of this tool, but before we talk about that we will continue with the rest of the tools. Pipe cleaners are important to run through your pipe after each use it to clear out excess moisture, tar and other nasty burnt debris. They are also great for crafting if you're 7 or have a small child to entertain during the pandemic. As for lighting your fire, use either a butane lighter or wooden matches. If you're a gentleman who prefers matches and have some experience keeping your pipe lit, be sure to let the match burn for a couple of seconds after lighting to burn out any phosphorus or other nasty chems in the match head, then roast up your 'bac. If you're a practical sort or already in the habit of horking down phat dabs like it's 2013, go for butane.

So you've got all your poo poo for real now, how do you smoke it? Well you have to pack it, make sure you're good, then light that sucker up.

The process to pack is to first take a little pinch of tobacco (enough to fill the bowl about 3/4 of the way, maybe a little more) and sprinkle it loosely into the bowl. Use your tamper to press the tobacco down, compressing it to about half the bowl. It should still be springy and not too dense, but you want a nice even level of tobacco at the halfway mark. Take another little pinch and sprinkle it in so it roughly fills the bowl. Use the tamper to pack it down again, so you have a nice even layer at 3/4 of the bowl. You can pack a little bit harder this time. Finally, repeat the process again, filling the bowl to just below the top, packing fairly firmly once again.

Once you're packed up, do a "test draw" before lighting. Bring it to your maw and suck in: if air flows relatively freely you're good to go. If the airflow is obstructed in a displeasurable way, dump it and start the pack again or try using your pick to loosen it up a little bit. If you didn't overpack the first pinch, generally you'll be good to go.

Now that you've packed it like a pro, it's time to light. Use your lit matches or lighter in a circular motion over the top of the tobacco to get a nice even light over the entire top layer of tobacco while gently drawing. I should mention at this point that you don't want to inhale the pipe smoke--just pull it into your mouth and exhale like a cigar. The nicotine will get into your bloodstream through your mouthskin, and if you're smoking the pipe indoors you will inhale the smoke in the room once it's mellowed out. Smoke from pipe tobacco is too harsh to be inhaled directly, so just puff on it without taking it into your delicate philly cheese lungs.

Okay the pipe is lit, time to kick back, right? Wrong. Wait a couple of seconds after the first light and then use your tamper again to put it out by pressing down. Now, light it again: the ash and charred remnants from the first light will keep smoldering after this "true light" and let you sit back, puff, and enjoy!

Congratulations, you are now a pipe smoker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hell yes. this is the content I crave. I bought a starter pipe and a sampler of cherry tobacco. I also drunkenly bought a German clay pipe like Gandalf and some weird Italian tobacco that was really cheap. will post a trip report soon

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

hell yea

twoday
May 4, 2005

in Dutch a pipe is called a pijp (pronounced the same way), and the verb form "pijpen" (to pipe) means "to smoke a pipe" but also is slang for "to suck a dick" and since barely anybody smokes pipes anymore, so if you ever say that word then 99% of people will assume you mean the latter

anyway, I've smoked a pipe before and I found that the tobacco on average was a lot heavier and darker than that which is normally found in a cigarette. It was probably the type of tobacco I used, but I was wondering, is there lighter pipe tobacco too? something more blonde in color, like cigarette tobacco? Are there some keywords I could use to find that? I think picking out the tobacco is the most daunting part of this process

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

lets smoke a bowl fam

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I went to look for one of my favorite old YouTube channels, it was this old man that would upload about a video or two a day of just him wearing various hats and smoking his various pipes.

But his channel has been removed, I hope he's still out there, smokin.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

TheDon01 posted:

I went to look for one of my favorite old YouTube channels, it was this old man that would upload about a video or two a day of just him wearing various hats and smoking his various pipes.

that dude fuckin owned so much

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I don't smoke tobacco outside of very occasional cigars, have any of you ever ripped a bowl of tobacco in a bong or glass carbed pipe? I imagine that would extremely gently caress you up

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

excited for my next terrible drunken impulse purchase to be a pipe

i'm in a climate where i'd only reasonably be able to smoke for a few months of a year, does tobacco store well long term (like over a winter)? or should i just plan on buying super small amounts

TheDon01 posted:

this dude! he was great, boo that his channel is gone

Wheeee posted:

I don't smoke tobacco outside of very occasional cigars, have any of you ever ripped a bowl of tobacco in a bong or glass carbed pipe? I imagine that would extremely gently caress you up

mixing tobacco with weed for a bowl isn't the standard or anything but is still pretty common with pot smokers i know, the pick me up from the nicotine is a nice compliment to the cannabis. this wouldn't be pipe tobacco though, typically would be someone ripping up a cig or having some drum on hand

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

OHSHIT I FOUND EM

https://www.youtube.com/user/SMOKER...ARSPIPES/videos

last vid was a year ago.

twoday
May 4, 2005

All dutch joints are mixed with tobacco

I am gonna be extremely dutch in this thread because there is a strong culture of smoking here which is different from that of the states, heads up

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'll leave the past in the past, tomorrow's not promised
And today's just an anime titty I guess that's why it's the present

this is not the pipe chat I expected
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msxMRwQyXI8

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Sugartime Jones

twoday posted:

in Dutch a pipe is called a pijp (pronounced the same way), and the verb form "pijpen" (to pipe) means "to smoke a pipe" but also is slang for "to suck a dick" and since barely anybody smokes pipes anymore, so if you ever say that word then 99% of people will assume you mean the latter

anyway, I've smoked a pipe before and I found that the tobacco on average was a lot heavier and darker than that which is normally found in a cigarette. It was probably the type of tobacco I used, but I was wondering, is there lighter pipe tobacco too? something more blonde in color, like cigarette tobacco? Are there some keywords I could use to find that? I think picking out the tobacco is the most daunting part of this process

Fascinating!

You could try Burley-Light-Without-A-Bite for a blonde and smooth pipe tobacco that might be similar to what you asked for. Check it out here: https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/la...obacco/1439896/

For anyone wondering, I have tried mixing a little bit of pipe tobacco into some herb and would definitely not recommend it. Other stuff like cig guts or drum is much more reasonable in a spliff, as others have suggested.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Are you supposed to inhale pipe tobacco or just puff?

Is tobacco soaked in whiskey good?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Instead of smoking I mix pills with alcohol which is great and everyone should be an obligate opioid addict/drunk.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

I fuckin' love Peter Stokkenbye's Tobacco, Turkish Export is my poo poo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

got my first pipe

this rules lmao

twoday
May 4, 2005

what kind of pipe is it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

With love,
a mod

just a cheapo regular starter pipe, but I'm still waiting on my gandalf pipe to show up

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME

Soiled Meat

he's absolutely got roni if he's still around

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

C-SPAM Pipe Dream

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Dinosaur Gum

this one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

With love,
a mod

today I smoked brigadier black antietnam and the art on the front looks like the union murdering a bunch of traitors. i think

it was alright but I didn't smell anything that incredible, might have just been the wind thou. edit apparently there's another flavor straight up called sherman's march (to the sea)

poo poo I might have to buy this

Hirsute
May 3, 2007

I'm sorry your tobacconist was murdered OP

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I'm more interested in laying down pipe

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

welp bought me a pipe, hell yeah excited for a new substance to become addicted to nerd out over and enjoy

corncob, a tool, and pipe cleaners on their way in the mail

tobacco prices in are nutso so for the price of 50g here i decided to instead gamble and buy 200g from the states for the same price and see a) how long it takes to get here and b) if i don't get dinged by customs. if i do get dinged whatevs, same price basically as if i bought the 200g here. i'm mostly just hoping it takes less than a month to arrive.

bought some carter hall, some 1-Q, and some macbaren navy flake. standard tobacco-forward, standard aromatic, and in-between-ish flake to see what i make of that style. figure that gives me a nice mix of basic places to start from and find what my palate will prefer. i typically like me an imperial stout, a maduro cigar, indica over sativa, etc, so i'm guessing that i'm going to be drawn eventually to the english style stuff over aromatics.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Just ordered one of these bad boys. These are known as gandolf pipes abroad but in the Netherlands, this is just a traditional clay pipe (kleipijp) made from a reed and clay. The city of Gouda, famous for its cheese, was also the center of production for this type of pipe, having something to do with a nearby marsh where the clay and reeds came from. The bowl is shaped by forming clay over a thumb. They did this since the middle ages, but now it is a protected UNESCO world heritage industry of immaterial culture, so it still exists even though nobody buys the pipes anymore. Many people who don't smoke have them, because they are reminiscent of the sorts of pipes in old Dutch paintings, and they have them lying around on a mantle or something as a decoration. This one is old, several decades, up to maybe 60 or 70, but it was never used, for that reason. So, second hand but new, 10 euros.

Now I need some tobacco.

twoday has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Jul 15, 2020

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017

i'm not going to smoke tobacco but i love how goony this thread is, so i'm not only bumping it but giving it my seal of approval, which is very valuable

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

twoday posted:

thinking back to the time I was deep into pipe smoking in like 2011, I think what you're looking for is burley tobacco

edit: i see that was already suggested. For a specific suggestion I think I would maybe suggest carter hall, which is cheap and you can get in big quantities. I used to also use it for rolling tobacco.

Nightcap was really popular back in 2011 too, I miss it. All the pipe tobacco I have now is a tin of extremely hosed up and dry "golden mixture" from probably like 2012. Here are just a few of the pipes I got way back then. There are more but most of them are just various types of corncobs and aren't very exciting.

the one with the flat bottom got the most use outside of my corncobs-- because I could set it down on the table as I drank my coffee outside. I do not remember when I bought the clay one but it will def be getting some use when my pipe tobacco order comes because clay doesn't retain flavors as much when you change tobacco. Finally, the native american pipe was something I bought from a native artist in SD in 2010 when I was not nearly as educated on cultural appropriation, but it is still extremely cool. Made from pipestone from pipestone mn, I was told. finally, the leather thing is a pipe holster from the 1800s which goes on your belt lmfao.

Fleetwood posted:

Are you supposed to inhale pipe tobacco or just puff?

Is tobacco soaked in whiskey good?

haven't tried whiskey soaked tobacco but I can answer the first question. you just bring it into your mouth and cycle it around your nose if you want, like a cigar. There's lots of rolling tobacco which is labeled as pipe tobacco for tax reasons, so I'm sure you could get away with inhaling that without vomiting, but generally no, you don't inhale. You still get a wicked nic buzz depending on the blend though, because it absorbs through your mucus membranes. Fun fact: tobacco related cancer was rare before cigarettes were introduced, most of the time people were getting their nic buzz from oral tobacco and pipes/cigars

Bullfrog has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Jul 15, 2020

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

the one with the flat bottom got the most use outside of my corncobs-- because I could set it down on the table as I drank my coffee outside. I do not remember when I bought the clay one but it will def be getting some use when my pipe tobacco order comes because clay doesn't retain flavors as much when you change tobacco. Finally, the native american pipe was something I bought from a native artist in SD in 2010 when I was not nearly as educated on cultural appropriation, but it is still extremely cool. Made from pipestone from pipestone mn, I was told. finally, the leather thing is a pipe holster from the 1800s which goes on your belt lmfao.

if i take to smoking enough to justify anything more than a corncob, i'm probably beelining for a flat bottom one. i have a feeling it's going to be either i own one pipe or a dozen though

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

So I mentioned this in the COVID thread, but my grandpa growing up was a big pipe smoker and I've always had a draw to it that I've never pursued. I used to smoke for real, and now I just vape. I'm gonna grab a corncob or 2 to start out with, what's the difference between straight and bent pipes? Bent seems more ergonomic, but is the pull worse?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

FEDS FEAR ME

i smoked a pipe when i was a youth. it was mostly an excuse to go into the old old tobacconists in boston and cambridge.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

With love,
a mod

another night on my balcony smokin mah pipe

drat this rules lmao

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Substandard posted:

So I mentioned this in the COVID thread, but my grandpa growing up was a big pipe smoker and I've always had a draw to it that I've never pursued. I used to smoke for real, and now I just vape. I'm gonna grab a corncob or 2 to start out with, what's the difference between straight and bent pipes? Bent seems more ergonomic, but is the pull worse?

I haven't noticed any real difference but I do like bent pipes for the ergonomics yeah.

After posting this thread I realized I hadn't smoked my pipe in like three months and now I can't find my pipe tool! RIP!

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Ho, tobacco comrades.

I'm currently a cig smoker. Non-menthol, because menthol can gently caress off. I smoke Camel Turkish Royals, which aren't nearly as good as they used to be like 10+ years ago. They used to have such a rich, fragrant smoke, for a cigarette anyway. Sometimes other cig smokers would get curious about the thick blue smoke coming from a normal-looking cig and say that it smelled like I was smoking a cigarillo.

But then Camel changed them and made them basically just like all their other cigs. I really miss those stupid flavored Camels that got banned too. Izmir Stingers, Crema, Twist. They were so good.

I've tried just about every cigarette brand I can get my hands on. They basically all taste like poo poo to me (except for maybe Nat Sherman MCDs, but those are expensive as hell and almost always stale).

For a while I tried switching to vape. I spent a bunch of money on a rig, tanks, coils, etc. Found a company that makes really delicious tobacco fluids. I loved the flavors... but I hated vaping. loving around with tanks and coils is severely annoying. I just hate the whole process.

Anyway, I want to switch to a pipe. I barely inhale cigs anyway, so a pipe would be more suitable. And I love the smell of cured tobacco. Absolutely one of my favorite smells in the world. So I think I would really enjoy the full experience of pipe smoking.

Based on my cig preferences, I'm assuming I will prefer Turkish tobacco, but I don't know if even the old Royals tasted anything like a good Turkish pipe tobacco. I guess I'll find out.

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

I fuckin' love Peter Stokkenbye's Tobacco, Turkish Export is my poo poo

I think I'm going to start with this tobacco and a sweet clay pipe like twoday's. Thanks y'all.

SorePotato
Dec 26, 2012

Back to the other kind of pipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGE_sLrbjbA

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

This is cool. Good thread op.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

bring back CSPAM pipe expert baloogan

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

another night on my balcony smokin mah pipe

drat this rules lmao

Same but I smoke cigars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flunky
Jan 1, 2014

if i'm ever single and have terminal cancer i'm gonna smoke like 20 cigars a day

«4 »