Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So my spouse wants to get into DnD. I have never been a DM before. He wants to be a CN Rogue so to help him learn I want to start a small campaign for him to show him how things work with sneak attack etc... So I want to make it a decent stealth mission (but not all stealth) and basically have my druid follow around with him, mainly for healing him after battle or helping out as needed. Are there any sites that have relatively shot adventures (1-2 hours) that I could search for and adjust as needed?

I will make it from scratch if I need to but :effort:. I also have to learn what A rogue can do (I mostly play spell casters), but I have the book for that.

Someone in the regular games forum said it might be better to ask here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Husband and we had too many threesomes to count. We are over it.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

In general the whole "I'll have an NPC or artifact to heal you or do stuff you cant" is a good idea when running solo games. I'd actually say if playing with someone playing a non-caster your best bet is to frankly fudge stuff a lot. Like have encounters end after it seems story appropriate, or just say "Yeah your backstab totally kills that unsuspecting guard"

I'd say the biggest thing to remember when trying to DM is to say "Yes but," rather than "No" and more importantly a failure on a roll should be a complication, not the end of things.
So like if he fails to pick the lock it's not "the chest doesn't open" it's "There's an alarm you didn't notice, so it's open, but now they know you're here" or "you'll have to choose, you could open this door, but if you do so, you'll break your lockpicks"
also that complication doesn't have to be directly related to the skill roll. Like what happens should narratively make sense, but it doesn't have to be "You messed up your climb roll, so you fall" it can be "Yes, you climbed up, but someone is there waiting for you."

Oh I wasn't even thinking about an artifact or fudging - I was just thinking of having a high level Druid that basically just guides around, heals him after battles and blows poo poo up when it needs to happen

Thank you, I don't want to make it so easy that he can basically do anything he wants but that gives me ideas that there will be consiquenses if he doesn't do it "right". I will still use skill checks but if he fails he it will still open the door but there might be an alarm and enemy inside if it fails.

I really like the healing artifact and alarm idea!

I just now have to get him to tell me what race so I know if he has darkvision or not.

Thank you, you were very helpful!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
You are right the druid could basically just destroy everything - I like the curse idea that makes her just into a rat, that will run left to show him where to go. - he likes rats and I know that will bleed into his character. and I will look at those links to read before I ask another question. and hinestly it will be good for me having an idea how to DM to give my friend a break from DMing.