Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Ano-Hana: The Flower We Lost That Day is definitely a series you want to watch if you like tearjerkers. It's about a group of (former) childhood friends being slowly brought back together after the ghost of their friend appears to them. It has some issues, but overall I quite liked it.

I can't say enough good things about March Comes in Like a Lion. Even though it hasn't concluded, I'd say it's a masterpiece. It's a slow burn, though.

Little Witch Academia was a surprisingly fantastic show. I came in with low expectations and only started watching it out of my love of all things Studio Trigger and walked away finding it their best series to date (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is better, but it's technically not a Trigger show) Kill La Kill is another great show by them, but it's much harder to recommend to casual anime fans because of uhhhhh, reasons. I didn't care for BNA at all. I found it forgettable and predictable. Two things I've never said about Studio Trigger shows.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is my favorite anime of all time. Read the OP's rundown of it!

Violet Evergarden is another tearjerker and it's absolutely goddamn gorgeous. I struggle to think of a prettier series.

K-On! and its movie are both on Netflix now and they are awesome for anyone looking for a fun slice-of-life anime with no creepy fanservice to speak of. Some good songs, too.

Food Wars! or its Japanese name Shokugeki no Souma is the opposite in terms of fan service. It's basically non-stop fanservice. On the other hand, it's really meant to be as ridiculous as possible, and there's about as much male fanservice as female. But the draw of the show is really the food. Some of the dishes the characters make are so goddamn ridiculous, yet the artists always manage to make even the craziest thing look and sound delicious. It's a battle anime about cooking. Give it a try.

I find Your Lie in April to be a weaker version of March Comes in Like a Lion (very similar themes and plot beats) but it's also a complete story and not at all bad, just lesser than MCILAL

Haikyuu is about sports, something I couldn't give less of a poo poo about, but I loving loved it. I would kill for and die for those good boys.

Promised Neverland isn't out yet, but it might be the series I would most highly recommend (maybe just behind Gurren Lagann and March Comes In). It's a horror/mystery series and it's creepy and sad and exhilarating all at once.

One-Punch Man is a favorite of mine for both its astounding animation and its satire of the shonen battle genre, but I've heard people unfamiliar with anime might not really appreciate it. Give it a couple of episodes at least. A lot of the jokes are great even with no knowledge of anime tropes.

Erased is a great mystery/thriller with a lot of heart. A tad preditctable as far as mysteries go, but that's about the only thing I could fault it for.

Aggretsuko is what would happen if Hello Kitty was a disaffected office lady who sang death metal songs at karaoke to release tension. It's awesome and a much better parable about modern society than BNA or Beastars could ever hope to be.

Rilakuma & Kaoru is a stop-motion animated series about another disaffected salary lady who lives with her (imaginary?) teddy bears. It's one of the most adorable things I've ever seen, the stop-motion animation is better than any other I've seen short of maybe Laika's recent output, and it just makes you feel cozy and fuzzy. Highly recommend it.

Dragon Pilot (I forget the Japanese name) is about a branch of the Japanese military that uses dragons disguised as military jets. The main draw is how cute the animation is, and the surprisingly adult stories told about the pilots. Another female-centric series basically devoid of fanservice. Loved it.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood might be the best anime series of all time. I don't know what else to say. It's an adventure story about love and family that can get surprisingly dark. Please watch it.

Megalo-Box is about a grungy, dirty future where boxing has evolved to incorporate mechanized exo-skeletons to make the combat even more brutal. The story revolves around Junk-Dog (later choosing the name Joe), a nameless man who works his way up the ranks without the use of the exo-skeleton (because he is too poor to afford one). It's an underdog story and I love those, and it's got some fantastic animation and art direction, purposefully made to look like a 1990s series which works in the best way.

Devilman Crybaby is loving bonkers. I...don't know if I recommend it for the faint of heart. It has spectacular animation by the same director behind Japan Sinks (which is also amaaaaaazing), but it's very, very gory and has tons of nudity. You've been warned.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Did you ever watch Sailor Moon? This is that, but imagine the stakes were much higher and things got quite a bit...darker, to say the least. A landmark of the medium. Similar to One-Punch Man and Gurren Lagann this might be better appreciated by those familiar with anime and the series' it's subverting, but still a great series for non-fans.

Hi Score Girl, Pop Team Epic, Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun Other series on Netflix that are great, but pretty niche.

There's also Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Avatar the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, Castlevania, Inu-Yasha, Cardcaptor Sakura, Death Note, Evangelion, Carole & Tuesday and Attack on Titan - I know a lot of people have strong feelings for these series, but I'm lukewarm on them at best.

I'm also planning to watch Dorohedoro and The Great Pretender once I'm done with my...fifth? Sixth? rewatch of Fullmetal Alchemist. :v:

edit: Oh, yeah, Lupid the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro is on Netflix too. It's Miyazaki + Lupin. This should be required viewing for all of...humanity.

edit 2: A Silent Voice is a film that still haunts me months after originally watching it. It's a drama about a boy who bullies a deaf classmate in middle school and the guilt he carries because of it. Trigger warning that it deals with themes of suicide quite heavily. But an absolutely heartbreaking, wonderful movie.

Flavors of Youth, Miss Hokusai, In This Corner of the World are also all good anime movies on Netflix.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

muscles like this! posted:

I like the con artist parts of Great Pretender but the tragic backstory stuff just seems so over the top.

Same. The last case was especially bad. Though I liked that case better overall than the Singapore case, I think. LA easily the best.